PDA

View Full Version : TJ / LJ Gas Overflow Fix

Java
November 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM
If you have one of these you know the deal, you fill the tank and take a foot bath in gas. I usually try to estimate how much I can put in without letting it top off to avoid it. Jeep has been worthless about it, but I found this today. You can replace the filler hose with a GM one that fixes the problem, here's the write up from JeepForum. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05-06-gas-overflow-fix-1335243/

GM Fuel filler lower hose part #15131046:

here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqLRu76wDJg

Java
November 15th, 2012, 07:55 AM
turns out it's a dealer only item, NAPA, CarQuest, Autozone and Advance all cannot find that number or crossreference it. it's about $30.00 online, delivered. Apparently this issue affects JKs too, but 2007 and up get a fix, earlier models just get a TSB. *#%$&!!! Here's a video of the issue, skip the first minute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hae5ht-_Y48&feature=related

thebacardigod
February 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Is this an issue with only the later year TJ? I've never had this problem

alexb
February 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I have a 2005 LJ and would love to do this. I'd love to get together with someone else and install two (or more) in one day. Extra pair of hands, more knowledge than just me, etc. :)

Any interest?

Java
February 14th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Jeremy- as far as I know it's allthe TJs and some other chrysler stuff from that era. Maybe a PO of your Jeep fixed it?

Alex- I have that hose sitting here waiting to go in along with some other stuff that needs attention, I planning to make it a weekend project before wheeling season starts. I'm not sure exactly when, but soon- one of the three weekends coming up, I hope. The 23rd is probably out, but I'm not sure yet. I can post when I'm going to do it, if it works for you, come on down. You and I both will have an easier time doing it than the video shows- the LJs have space behind the rear wheel well (you can see it in your avatar), if you move the splash shield aft of the tire you can see this hose and how easy the access is. In a regular TJ it's tight, but not an LJ. I already monkeyed with that hose when I did my 1" bodylift, it was easy to reach.

Java
February 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM
this post lit a fire under my butt, I started on my Jeep today after work. I haven't been offroad since Moab in Sept, and it is still LOADED with red dust! It's amazing how that stuff gets into every little space. I have a lot to do to it, I won't get to the hose until maybe Sunday, I'll post pics if I do.

alexb
February 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Glad to light a fire. :) I won't be able to join you for the fuel hose this weekend or next. I'll go order the part so I can install soon also. Feel free to give me a hard time if I haven't done it by the 3/9 run. :)

Java
February 17th, 2013, 06:44 PM
I really don't think you'll need any help for it, it's easy. good luck!

alexb
April 10th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Almost 2 months later..... I just ordered the part. :)

alexb
May 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Just did the install and filled up with gas. No spills at all during fill up! Took about an hour and a half.

Java
May 5th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Good job, Alex!! :thumb: I could just as easily have posted this in the procrastination thread, mine is still sitting on my bench...

edit- if you still need them, I found the Besttop retaining clips for the rear window that I thought I had.

alexb
May 5th, 2013, 08:18 AM
if you still need them, I found the Besttop retaining clips for the rear window that I thought I had.

Thanks for thinking of me, but I think you offered the retaining clips to someone else. I didn't need them. :)

Java
May 5th, 2013, 09:14 AM
worse, it's not even the right forum. I need to focus... :confused:

Java
July 25th, 2013, 04:37 PM
posted this 11/15/12 when I bought the hose and just did it this morning, hows that for procrastination? I was doing rear brake pads and it was right there so... filled it up this afternoon, no spill. works great! :thumb: If anyone is doing this I found a trick- when you take the filler end out to remove the OEM hose you can use it to line up the flapper so you don't have to feel for the clamp tab when you put the hose on the tank (except to verify that this worked). You are supposed to use the tab on the bottom clamp to align the flapper in place, but that end isn't the "problem". The top end of the hose is very tight on the filler and is difficult to move in place, but the tank end is plastic and the hose turns more freely, so it's better to mount the top end first so you dont have to fight with it. ask me how I learned that...The 4 holes that the torx screws go through to mount the filler end to your gas cap opening sit level when on the jeep; you can attach the top end of the hose with the clamp tab on the bottom aligned with them, clamp the top clamp tightly so it doesn't rotate. the bottom one will line up automatically when you put it on the tank. worked for me so far.

alexb
July 25th, 2013, 06:16 PM
just did it this morning

Congrats! I chuckled when we met at the gas station and you had to shoo your dog away from the pump. :) I haven't splashed any fuel since my May 3rd install.

Working with that fuel hose was a PITA. Glad it is on and has been working well without headache. I'm happy to not have hysterical people run up to me screaming: "Your car! Gas! Ahhhhhh!!" and my nonchalant response: "Ya."