PDA

View Full Version : Carb to TBI?

bowtie72
October 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Has anyone else done this? I have completed the install on my 72 Blazer. I need to have a chip programmed. My question is, Are the $75.00 genaric programs worth it? There is a shop in the springs that can program one for me by putting it on a dyno. I know this would be best but not cheap. I am not sure it is worth $400.00. Thanks guys. I am trying to get more efficiency and better mileage so I can drive it more.:D

xaza
October 27th, 2012, 08:36 AM
A dyno tune will get you your best efficiency. You need to be sure and have an air/fuel gauge and adjustment for best tuning. You will also get your best power curve. It is expensive but it will pay for itself.

Robert B
October 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM
okay im just looking for more info but you cant just use the stock computer???? or is your motor not very stock anymore ???

Popsgarage
October 27th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Call the guys at Howell Engine Development, tell 'em what you've got and they can burn you a chip for around $200. Nice guys. http://howellefi.com/

Java
October 28th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Call the guys at Howell Engine Development, tell 'em what you've got and they can burn you a chip for around $200. Nice guys. http://howellefi.com/

x2- I used howell TBI on my 88 YJ and had them re-write the chip, they did a great job.

bowtie72
October 28th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I just checked their site and it's $250. It is cheaper than $400.00 But I agree with XAZA. I think the dyno tune would be best. I was fishing to see if anyone had experence with this. Thanks for your help guys! I don't know if anyone else in town can do chips.

Popsgarage
October 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Robyn has a friend who had his done in town. I'll get his name for ya and see if he still has their card.

bowtie72
October 28th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks I appreciate it.

gm4x4lover
October 28th, 2012, 07:21 PM
What is wrong with the stock tune. Wirh tbi there isn't much tuning that can be done. Did you swap heads and cam?

Popsgarage
October 28th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I used to think the same thing, but you can do quite a bit with them. Not as much as the newer stuff, sure, but much more than you used to be able to. You can buy a custom flashed chip or have the ECM re flashed to accept quite a few modifications such as cam, compression, displacement, air/fuel mixture, or new injectors. And the TBI is fairly forgiving to many of these. Check out some of these links.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?15328-Carburetor-To-Fuel-Injection-TBI-Conversion-Links

Popsgarage
October 28th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Robyn's friends name is Travis, and I'll give him a call tomorrow and post up the info when I get back from Aspen on Thursday.

tonkatoy
October 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM
check out TBI.com thay did the chip in my burb.

scout man
October 29th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I have a TBI sitting on my garage floor to be installed this winter... would love some knowledgable help if you have done this recently!! :thumb:

Robert B
October 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM
bill you mean this one ?? http://www.tbichips.com/ tbi.com gives me stuff on brain damage lol

bowtie72
October 30th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys for the info. My engine is bone stock. My harness is from affordable fuel injection. It doesn't have anything for a knock sensor. Without it and a stock chip you don't get any advance. I will check out some of the sites when I get back from hunting

Rick
October 30th, 2012, 09:36 AM
when I get back from huntingGood Luck!!

Popsgarage
November 1st, 2012, 01:28 AM
It doesn't have anything for a knock sensor.

This could be interesting. You could always drill and tap the block in a water jacket like GM did. Verify location on a junkyard block and punch a hole. I don't think the casting was even bossed around the hole. If I remember, I'll check mine tomorrow after work.

Hypoid
November 1st, 2012, 06:17 AM
One of the trivial bits, is that the ECU does not advance spark, it retards spark. When you install the distributor, you install it advanced. If the ECU can sense knock, it retards the spark timing to eliminate knock.

You will likely need to have the timing curve in the distributor checked and re-set. It is a common practice in the world of carburators and pre-EFI ignition.

southpaws3
November 2nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
If your bone stock. get a complete wiring harness including computer. Tonkatoy (bill englewood driveshaft) even did emissions _air pump,erg,etc due to yr of truck and yr of engine . so did i. depending on yr you might have to change intake for emissions (you might not have to ?) monster burb did complete swap

southpaws3
November 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
contact any of us we all did a swap hope this helps

bowtie72
November 17th, 2012, 10:30 AM
OK made it back from hunting empty handed unfortunately. Now I have to finish getting everything put up. I just have to make up my mind if I want to spend the $75.00 or $420.00 for a chip. I guess I can always go back to a stock harness and stock dist and just get rid of the unneeded stuff. hummm decissions, decissions?

bowtie72
November 18th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Well I tinkered with the Blazer yesterday. I went back over the basics. I checked my timing and it was way off. I guess during chip swapping and messing around somehow I changed timing and never put it back. Well went on a test drive and it runs much better. I still don't think it is as much power as I had with the carb but much better. I even let my oldest drive home. He is 14.

Robert B
November 18th, 2012, 09:20 PM
thats good it seems :) i cant remember if it was said or not yet but is it tuned for the altitude??? it should auto adjust to stay running just fine but it might not run at full power.....not sure