PDA

View Full Version : Explorer problem!

AccordRanger
October 26th, 2012, 03:19 PM
OK so the last couple of days the explorer had had the engine light come one and off randomly. Got it checked and it was po156 and po157 o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2.

Well today when I Started it was idling rough for about 3 minutes, then idled normal. As soon as I touched the gas pedal it died. So I replaced the o2 sensor and still have the same problem. Upon trying to start i can also smell fuel out of the exhaust. Now its doesn't want to start at all. Any ideas on what it could be? Its a 99 SOHC 4.0

If its not one thing its another. Starting to drive me crazy.

Squshiee1
October 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I got similar codes and my cats were bad. but i had none of those problems you listed.

xaza
October 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM
The cats have to warm up to work correctly. That is why with newer cars they have been moving them closer to the engine. It looks like that code goes to the one coming out of catalytic convertor. With it being after the cat I would say bad cat could be issue if you are sure the sensor is good. If you have 2 cats you can swap sides on the ones coming out. If the code switches to the other bank it is sensor.

Patrolman
October 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I would try to check the codes again. A/F mixture is clearly off if you can smell the fuel. Either the O2 sensor isn't reading right, the AFM isn't measuring air flow correctly, injectors aren't working right, or possibly even the ECM, but that is least likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Just thought of something else. Maybe it is flooded? Pull a plug and check to see if it is soaked in fuel. If they all look good, try a little starting fluid to see if it starts.

xaza
October 26th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Might be a good idea to check for spark on each plug too while at it. Will allow you to check them all, a bad injector will only be obvious in the one cylinder.

Brad
October 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Vacuum leak? Something is telling the ECM to dump fuel to keep it running.

Cr33p3r
October 27th, 2012, 12:01 AM
On the Explorers and Rangers upto 2002 you have to reset the ECM to get the codes to clear so it will actually tell the engine to run correctly. Definitely reset it (simplest thing) and then check the things everyone else has listed. Shayne do you have a code reader or did someone else do it for you ie; Autozone, Oreillys?

AccordRanger
October 27th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Fixed it! Turned out to be a dirty MAF.

xaza
October 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM
nice, glad to hear!

Brad
October 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
That'll do it! :thumb:

AccordRanger
October 27th, 2012, 01:08 PM
That'll do it! :thumb:

Yea I gave my mom my short ram intake and put hers in mine. Turns out the filter was slightly bent so it allowed enough water and mud to get past and get the maf all dirty. All cleaned up now!