PDA

View Full Version : HELP! PLEASE!

Squshiee1
October 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
PLEASE HELP! ok i have a 97 isuzu rodeo, auto,4x4, 3.2.
Yesterday i went outside to start it and when i turned the key to ON, it said on the dash that i was in 3RD, but when i turn the headlights on it says its in reverse. If i push on the trans and move the whole Engine, trans and transfer-case assembly up, the car says its in park and acts normal, until i go to start and then it wont start. and goes back into 3rd, I have had the rrabs and brake light on, and now they shut off, the check engine light has also turned off (the code was for o2 sensors).
And now when i do start the car and drive it, the trans shifts fairly hard. I AM LOST ON THIS! can someone please point me in a direction!

ExplorerTom
October 22nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Engine and/or transmission mounts totally broke?

Squshiee1
October 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
OK! twas just a small electrical scare. after 4 wheeling last Wednesday i had ripped off my trailer wire connector, and that was causing it to short out the fuel pump, and make everything in the truck go wonkers! now it runs and shifts just fine! YAY! that was quite the scare!

Robert B
October 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
i was going to say sounds electrical lol but cool :) glad you found it easy

Squshiee1
October 22nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
after about 8 hours of searching! not in my terms easy, but was an easy fix.
Mostly... hair pulling frustrating!

Hypoid
October 22nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
If i push on the trans and move the whole Engine, trans and transfer-case assembly up,If you can move the engine/transmission/T-case around by hand, you have other problems waiting to happen.

I'm glad this fix was cheap.

Cr33p3r
October 23rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
after about 8 hours of searching! not in my terms easy, but was an easy fix.
Mostly... hair pulling frustrating!

Chase welcome to automotive evaluation class, now don't expect to have anything go as planned or in no way fast before a proper diagnosis can determine a proper repair.

Glad you found the problem and fixed it but I would definitely check you trans mount to see if there is a crack or break that is allowing that type of movement. Get it done for Saturday on Caribou!

Jackie
October 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
Glad you got it figured out!

Squshiee1
October 24th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Just to clarify, i was able to move it up about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch. all of the mounts look great, and even the rubber in the mounts looks great. is this too much play?

Cr33p3r
October 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Yep that is too much play and if its not the rubbers did you check all the mounting bolts? The rubber could have lost its density meaning it will move and not really absorb shock like it is designed to.

ExplorerTom
October 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM
1/4" to 1/2" of movement by hand? How much does it move when you hit the throttle? I'd think those numbers would be OK (even if a little big) when the engine moves itself from revving- moving the engine by hand should be hardly any movement.

Hypoid
October 24th, 2012, 05:22 PM
all of the mounts look great, and even the rubber in the mounts looks great.I've had mounts that look OK fall apart as I removed them. I had one bud, who works on cars, tell me his mounts looked OK, until I loaded his drive train. The throttle tells all!

I think you should get some help with checking them out.

Squshiee1
October 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM
By hand as in going under and pushing with all of my strength! :cool:

Chris
October 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Have someone stand on the brakes while giving it some gas and watch for movement of the motor. Do not stand in front of the truck, seriously don't!

Popsgarage
October 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Broken trailer wire?????????? I thought it was going to be way worse when you and I talked Sunday. Glad you figured it out little brother!!!!!!!!