PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Wrangler Basic Lift Kit, Installation, Tires

Tom
October 21st, 2012, 11:27 AM
So I'm thinking of upgrading my tires to 33's this spring and in the process possibly doing an easy basic lift on my '12 wrangler. I'm looking at Rancho 2" Sport System with RS5000 Shocks (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16031_4300.htm) because I want something a little better than spacers on the front. Does anyone have any experience doing their own lift and with Rancho kits in particular? The 2" lift will work with my current quick disconnects and therefore save me a few bucks.

Should I hire someone to install it? Is it something I can do? I've not done much mechanical work on a vehicle since the early 80's. At that point I installed heavy duty front torsion bars and an extra rear spring leafs in my 1989 Chevy Luv 4x4.

Does anyone know if the 255/80R17 Mud Terrain TAs will fit on a non modified 2012 wrangler. They are the same width as the stock tire and only 1 inch taller. I'm thinking they will based upon something I read in another forum, and if so probably will hold off on the lift for awhile.

RidgeRunner
October 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
I don't know if the tires will fit but that kit looks pretty easy and straight forward to install. I'd do it myself and there are plenty of people around here that are usually willing to help out.

Rick
October 21st, 2012, 06:16 PM
x2!!!!!

ExplorerTom
October 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I was in a Saturn Performance Club (Saturn???? Performance???? Say what!!!) and we would hold "garage days". Basically a bunch of people would get together to wench on a car or 2.

i could be willing to drive up for a garage day. Wrenching on new vehicles is fun! No rust to deal with.

Can't help on the tire question.

Tom
October 24th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I was in a Saturn Performance Club (Saturn???? Performance???? Say what!!!) and we would hold "garage days". Basically a bunch of people would get together to wench on a car or 2.

i could be willing to drive up for a garage day. Wrenching on new vehicles is fun! No rust to deal with.

Can't help on the tire question.I'm thinking it will be easy too after re-reading the instructions. I'll let you know when I decide.

Rob
October 24th, 2012, 08:33 PM
And since I'm only a few blocks away from you, Tom, I'd could come over and lend a hand if it's on a weekend.

Chris
October 24th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I'm not close but I can supervise Rob! :lmao:

Rob
October 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM
:lmao: Practice makes perfect, eh?

Chris
October 24th, 2012, 11:15 PM
:cool: yessiree!

xaza
October 25th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Installing a lift kit is super easy, I say go for it! As far as the tires go, you always have the option of bump stops that will prevent tire from compressing up and rubbing but then you do you lose articulation. Personally I think you would be much happier with a lil lift. :2c:

Tom
October 25th, 2012, 09:51 AM
So I noticed the instructions indicate the need for a 250 ft/lb torque wrench. Do you guys think one is really required. 250 ft/lb wrenches are rather expensive compared to 150.

ExplorerTom
October 25th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I think mine goes to 250. Not sure how accurate it is.

What requires that kind of torque?

Tom
October 25th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I think mine goes to 250. Not sure how accurate it is.

What requires that kind of torque?The instructions don't say. That's why I'm asking.

xaza
October 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM
250 sounds mighty high. Lug nut bolts are only from 115-150 on my Cherokee. Looking at my torque specs I don't see anything in that range. Typically we just watch for crushing bushings & bending brackets(means stop), you want suspension to be tight but able to move (at least parts that are supposed to). Somebody else will have to pipe in regarding shocks though, I get yelled at by my brother every time for over tightening so I guess I just don't understand them :lmao:

Rick
October 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
http://www.gorancho.com/assets/instruction_pdf/Rancho_Installation_Instruction_RS66103_and_RS6610 3B_Revision_B.pdf the most I saw in these directions was 125 FT/LBS

Mr6dwg
October 25th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I used to have the 2 1/2" Rancho Rockcrawler lift kit on my Jeep with the RS5000 shocks. I liked the setup. It gave me plenty of flex and allowed me to keep all of my original pieces like the brake lines, etc.

Tom
October 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.gorancho.com/assets/instruction_pdf/Rancho_Installation_Instruction_RS66103_and_RS6610 3B_Revision_B.pdf the most I saw in these directions was 125 FT/LBSYes but even that version recommends a 250 ft/lb torque wrench. I'm thinking that they are just specing overkill on what they recommend.

Tom
October 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I used to have the 2 1/2" Rancho Rockcrawler lift kit on my Jeep with the RS5000 shocks. I liked the setup. It gave me plenty of flex and allowed me to keep all of my original pieces like the brake lines, etc.That's what I was hoping. I'm more and more convinced I should go this route. Just a matter of timing. I did recently come into so extra cash. Just have to convince the wife to let me spend some of it.

Chris
October 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yes but even that version recommends a 250 ft/lb torque wrench. I'm thinking that they are just specing overkill on what they recommend.

I think you'd be fine just tightening it as much as you can Tom. Admiditly I'm no Jeep expert but in the Toyota world lots of torque specs are ignored in favor of "Toyota Tight" which means tighten until it feels right. :wrench:

Tom
October 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I think you'd be fine just tightening it as much as you can Tom. Admiditly I'm no Jeep expert but in the Toyota world lots of torque specs are ignored in favor of "Toyota Tight" which means tighten until it feels right. :wrench:That's what I was thinking Chris, but thought I should ask people here that have more experience than myself.

ExplorerTom
October 25th, 2012, 04:24 PM
in the Toyota world lots of torque specs are ignored in favor of "Toyota Tight" which means tighten until it feels right.

I've always said that's applying the German torque spec - Gutentight.

Chris
October 25th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Gutentight.

:lmao: :thumb:

Tom
October 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Gutentight:lmao::2thumbup:

Tom
October 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM
This sure makes me want to double think the lift kit I'm considering http://www.jk-forum.com/modified-jk-tech-2/heads-up-rancho-2-sport-lift-250268/.

xaza
October 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I know the price is a lot different, but well worth it. This kit has longer coils all the way around giving better performance than spacers in the rear.

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Jeep-Lift-Kits-Suspension/2-JK-Wrangler-2-Door-Suspension-System-Heavy-load.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=arbjk22&gp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&gclid=CL262J-PpLMCFVBgMgodCU4Aqg

xaza
October 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
On the flip side. If you just want a little lift to get bigger tires there is this. Just need shocks, I think.

http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=1446

Tom
October 28th, 2012, 10:39 AM
On the flip side. If you just want a little lift to get bigger tires there is this. Just need shocks, I think.

http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=1446 Looking at this now. Has 4 springs plus shocks. It appears an even better deal than the ranchos. http://www.xtremeterrain.com/25suspensionliftkitfor07-upjeepjkwrangler.aspx

amel22
October 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM
You should go for OME standard lift

Chris
October 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I'm a fan of Old Man Emu products, well designed, strong and never any issues in my truck now or my last one. They aren't cheap for Yota's and probably not for Jeeps either.

amel22
October 30th, 2012, 07:45 AM
true. i originally bought procomp 2.5" w/ ES9000 shocks and there were so many bad reviews on em so i returned them and paid 250 more to get the OME HD 2.5" and an OME Stabilizer. I love the kit and how the Jeep handles

Tom
October 30th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Ok so now I'm seriously thinking about abandoning the whole idea. As I research lifting my 2012 wrangler I'm reading a bunch of horror stories. With a 2/5 inch lift its strongly recommended that a rear track bar relocation bracket be installed and numerous vendors are stating that anything over 2inches requires exhaust work to keep the front drive shaft from rubbing on the exhaust. I don't want to open a can of worms and be chasing a cats tail to do what I thought would be a simple lift.

Anyone have any thoughts or feedback?

xaza
October 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I had no idea there were such issues. If you do find that there is a lot more to a lift, there is always the option of 1" spacers. They will give it a little more stance, fit bigger tires and should not require any extra mods.

Serious Offroad
October 30th, 2012, 06:19 PM
JK's do require a bit of work, no doubt at.

From my RE ad's on the site:

2012 Vehicles will need an exhaust modification pipe AFE 49-46215 to allow clearance for the front driver-side radius arm and our CV style driveshaft RE1883-365 to allow clearance of the crossover exhaust during suspension droop.

cfr
October 30th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Ok so now I'm seriously thinking about abandoning the whole idea. As I research lifting my 2012 wrangler I'm reading a bunch of horror stories. ...

Anyone have any thoughts or feedback?

Yep. I replied to your other thread that looked like a duplicate. Decide now if you want mild and manageable or more extreme and expensive.

Having done the "full" (read expensive) 3-inch lift on my '09, my advice would be to add the steering stabilizer flip kit to avoid the most obvious problem, run 33 or 34-inch tires with no lift, and just wheel it.

I'm still struggling with my 2-year battle with death wobble. Very long and expensive story.

Tom
October 31st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Made my decision and ordered my kit. Decided on a 2 inch spacer kit. With this kit I won't have exhaust issues (I hope) and shouldn't need to relocate anything. I seriously considered the Rubicon Express kit but decided against it as the spacers for the front and back are different heights. The thought is that it levels the vehicle. 2012 wrangler do not have the rake previous version do, so this kit would be the back end low. I decided on the Superlift 2 inch kit with shocks and bump stops. (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16158_110.htm). I have their quick disconnect and really like it. I keep you updated when I do the install. Thanks all for the feed back and info.

xaza
October 31st, 2012, 05:17 PM
:2thumbup:

Chris
October 31st, 2012, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a good decision!

jaymoto
November 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
hey tom since im here in town when your ready i can help you out with that spacer lift.

Tom
November 17th, 2012, 09:02 PM
hey tom since im here in town when your ready i can help you out with that spacer lift.Its been on Back order for almost three weeks now. I just canceled the order. thanks for the offer.

jaymoto
November 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
no problem you still have all winter to get it ordered and installed.

Tom
November 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
no problem you still have all winter to get it ordered and installed.So I re-ordered it Weds night about 12AM. Its shipped already. (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16158_110.htm). I'll be installing it the week between Xmas and New Years since I have the week off work.

Tom
November 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
The lift kit just arrived. Too bad I had to hold on to it until we celebrate the holiday. At least we're celebrating early since my wife and son are heading to MN to XMas as usual.

Didn't this but Super Lift shocks are actually made by Blistien.

jaymoto
November 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Very cool presents early always fun.