PDA

View Full Version : Advice on emissions

Colin
September 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
I just got a 04 rubi on 35s and I need to go get emissions done on it, I have heard rummors that some shops will take 35inch tires but most will not, does anyone know of any shops like this?

Patrolman
September 23rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
They are all the same company, Envirotest. Their dyno rollers have a max of 33". You will need to find some tires to borrow for the test. You only need them for the rear. I have seen guys before with small tires on the back pull up. Funny looking, but they test it.

Jim
September 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Not sure you can find / use a non-air-care-colorado site, so if not, their rules apply:

http://aircarecolorado.com/consumer-information/quick-information/

Q.

Tire Sizes and Dynamometers?

A.

Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile tire sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter, or vehicles with tire sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test.

Rick
September 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM
also vehicle weight is a factor,you wont have this issue..... 3/4 and above do the idle test

Chris
September 23rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
vehicles with tire sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

This does not mean 33's are okay because they will not measure, they just read the sidewall.

Jim
September 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
they will not measure, they just read the sidewall.

Otherwise, the 35+ folks would simply be airing down to 4psi in the parking lot so the tire would be less than 34 inches "tall" for a measurement...

Giljorak
September 24th, 2012, 07:18 AM
High Country Performance 4x4 has tire/wheel combos that they rent out for emissions tests. As an added bonus they are only about a mile from the emissions test place located in Sheridan.

Jim
September 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM
That's nice to know!

FWIW, I have a set of 31's folks may borrow. There is an AirCareColorado test facility in Fort Collins too.

Colin
September 24th, 2012, 11:32 AM
High Country Performance 4x4 has tire/wheel combos that they rent out for emissions tests. As an added bonus they are only about a mile from the emissions test place located in Sheridan.

I never knew that, I am going to give them a call!

Thanks for offering Jim but I really dont want to drive from Golden to Ft. Collins to get my emissions done.

Rick
September 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM

was $25.00 a year ago

Colin
September 25th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I just got off the phone and they said they wanted $100...

Rick
September 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM
thats a deposit, ask how much you get back after you return the tires. I just put the 100 bucks on a credit card and when I returned them they credited back 75.00 to my credit card

Hypoid
September 25th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I have a set of 31s, BUT, if your Jeep is actually geared for 35s, the smaller size tire will run the engine at higher RPMs, producing more NOX.

You are welcome to try them, just be advised of the workout your Jeep will get while on the rollers.