PDA

View Full Version : Axle Wrap

Cr33p3r
September 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM
What actually causes axle wrap?

Serious Offroad
September 18th, 2012, 03:20 PM
OH! OH!! I KNOW, I KNOW!!!
If you want to know...clicky! (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=What+actually+causes+axle+wrap%3F)

;)

Robert B
September 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM
from what i know with my 2 cents is that the "vehicle" has an easier time turning the whole axle instead of the tires.......this happens more the bigger the tire both in height and width and also depends on how the axle is connected to the rest of the vehicle.....i know for leaf springs vehicles lift blocks add alot of leverage on a little space and alot of torque and leverage on the ubolts so it will happen more or to a greater degree.....coil trucks i dont know much beyond what i have heard so i wont go there..........

but i believe the basics go back to it has become easier to rotate the whole axle than it is to turn the wheels :)

but ur question is so simple and straightforward im not sure if that helps what you want to know or not lol...

for an example i saw a GI in a pickup with 5 lift blocks in the rear......4 2.5 inchers and a 1 incher.......from a car length back i could see the axle and ubolts twisting when he pulled off from a dead stop and the pinion would rise....and i am not kidding on the lift in my car i could see between the TOP of the rear tire and the lowest part of the stock bed with no body lift ..was a scary looking contraption

Patrolman
September 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Physics. ;)

Traction, torque, distance of axle shafts from leaf springs (lift blocks), and stiffness of leaf springs. Of course, coils differ. 3 and 4 link setups generally don't suffer from axle wrap depending on the setup.

carpenle
September 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Lift blocks usually are a main cause.

Cr33p3r
September 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys, I thought it was unusual that I could get this just by rotating my tires by hand while on stands, I can only imagine how bad it is when driving on the street, time to fab up a link to stop it from happening.

upnover
September 20th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Tire's with traction = Stronger than leaf spring. Spring is the loser!