PDA

View Full Version : Welder recommended for sheet metal?

Patrolman
September 14th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I am going to have to do some sheet metal work in the future and am looking to get a new welder. Would prefer a MIG 110v as my garage doesn't have 220v. I would even consider a 100v TIG (if they exist). My little HF 110v isn't adjustable enough with only hi/low settings. It just burns through sheet metal even on low.
http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887.html

Any advice? Particular models or features to look for?

carpenle
September 14th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I have a hobart 135 and it does pretty well. You have to spot weld and jump from side to side so it does not get too hot and warp.

Hypoid
September 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Hobart, Miller, Lincoln all have good support after the sale. Say "no" to Snap-on!

Patrolman
September 14th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I knew you had to just do spot welds and go from side to side. I assume on the lowest setting too. Does one brand seem to have a lower setting or work better?

Hypoid
September 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
More than a brand to brand comparison, I think you will find yourself shopping for features. As always, you pay for the features you want.

My preference runs to controls that let me make fine adjustments. Having a setting that is a little hot, or a little cold drives me bonkers! I've also heard comments from a few people about the automatic features on some machines. I'd avoid that feature as well.

Popsgarage
September 16th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I love my Miller 211 Autoset, just not the autoset feature. And like Mike says, features.