PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a mechanic? Q's about mobile auto repair

Max
August 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I'm looking for a place to get some things checked on my Jeep. Any shops in Boulder you recommend or someone in the club that can help?

Also, has anyone had any experience with mobile auto repair? They say they charge much less than a brick and mortar shop.

Thanks

ColoJeeper
August 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Post up what kind of issues you need looked at and I'll bet somebody with chime in with some help...

Brad
August 16th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I am a mechanic. Post up your issue!

Max
August 16th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I asked about one of the issued before, the steering, but didn't/couldn't follow through with the suggestions. Now, I would like to pay a business or individual to help with it.

One issue is it feels easier to steer one way than the other sometimes.

The other is a whining sound from underneath, in the transmission/t-case/driveshaft area, and rough shifting in the manual transmission.

Rick
August 16th, 2012, 11:16 PM
pinion bearing for the whine is my guess!!!!

Geno
August 17th, 2012, 12:23 AM
1st issue, steering pushs one way and pulls the other if you have a stock set up. First thing check for loose bolts on the gear box to frame, then go through all the tie rods and pitmin arm nuts, loose bolts can bind when under a push load, and not bind when pulled on. look for new shiny edges showing, maybe something is starting to bend or move out of position. 2nd issue, If you are running the AX15, T-15 or NV3550 transmission. they do not like to be low on oil, this will cause hard shifting and if low enough the whinning sound. Does the sound change when stopped and you engage/ dis engage the clutch? Does the pitch of the whin change as the vechile speed increases or does it stay constant at all speeds. If I were to have a little more information I probally could narrow down possible items to be checked. ( I just did the clutch and had my 2nd gear syncro replace in my TJs NV3550 trans. and this trans takes very special oil) Last Guess, some noises and hard shifting come from skid plates dented up against T-cases, my jeep had a small area within 1/16 of a inch from my t-case , everytime I gave it some extra gas the Motor ,trans and t-case flexing it would come into contact with my Bellpan, making a deep low semi thumping sound, repair was to pull down belly pan and restraighten it to orginal position. Some fixes are no dollars just time. Just my :2c:. Have a great day , if I can help more just ask.

Max
August 20th, 2012, 04:48 PM
No whine when revving it in neutral.

The whine increases pitch when the speed increases.

I can barely hear it in 3rd, and none in 4th and 5th.

It whines in 2wd and 4wd the same.

2nd gear pops out sometimes when engine braking.

Geno
August 21st, 2012, 02:23 AM
ok, no wine when reving in neutral, that elinates the motor,clutch. Was clutch in or out ? if in (pedal on floor) no wine, throw out bearing ok, out ( pedal up, there was no load on the throw out bearing, redue with clutch pedal pushed to floor. next Was the oil level checked on the transmission and transfer case? as you move up in the gears the torque load is less on the gears in the trans and also the internal parts are turning at a slower rate , so I am still thinking trans. T case wine would not change when different gears in trans are used , 1 to 1 is 1 to 1 and the wine would just keep increasing as speed increased. Trans mission popping out of gear during engine breaking can be shift rail linkage adjustment issue ,from,worn "tip" end on trans shifter, bad blocking ring ,or maybe even a worn bearing on the main shaft, low oil level ,wrong type of oil. I would try a oil change to the transmission and trans fer case. do 1 unit at a time,then drive, change 2nd unit, to see which oil change makes the wine change, if at all. If the wine is exactly the same you will move down the drive train ,but, you have new oil in the trans and T-case and you have done the basic checks to them. I the wine did change ,you now know probally which unit has a issue and can start doing a deeping inspection on it.

Max
September 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I had the power steering pump replaced, and it is still harder to turn one way than the other. I also had the transmission and transfer case fluid drained and replaced and it is shifting a bit better, but the whine is still there.