PDA

View Full Version : Tomtom GPS on the Trails

carpenle
August 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a Tomtom GPS unit, I am wondering if anybody has used this for the trails. Can you download the files from Traildamage to the Tomtom unit? Any help would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Levi

carpenle
August 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM
If you do not use Tomtom, what units are you having success with?

ColoJeeper
August 10th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I am currently using a Garmin Montana 600. I a very good GPS and I love it. The only down side is the cost.

Brad
August 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM
iPad with gps and a blend of different software including
iTopo maps (offline downloadable)
Motion X HD (offline downloadable but does not always display offroad trail information no matter which source I choose)
Galileo (awesome software but have not tinkered with it much)
Global nav, cool idea but seems slow to load maps and I have not tinkered with it much.

My favorite is overland navigator but he has not finished writing the software for iPad. Only available for PC.

http://spatialminds.com/overland-navigator/

Tom
August 10th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I've an old Magellan SportTrak Color and the Topo USA series of maps. Works fine but the LCD is tiny tiny tiny.

carpenle
August 14th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I was able to get a POI added for jenny creek added, but not sure how well it will work.

GaryG
August 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I use Back country navigator with my Samsung Galaxy tablet. Great maps, downloadable over wifi. Each state takes about 1gb. Can zoom into 1/4 mile scale. imports tracks and poi's from traildamage and anything else. Also have topo USA for my garmin as a backup.

Clickpopboom
February 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
You can load offroad navigator onto the TomTom. Once that is done you can screenshot maps from google earth of the area you will be in, and put the lat and long of the map corners into offroad navigator. I haven't tried using it much yet, but I have started loading maps into mine.

Max
February 3rd, 2013, 09:54 PM
I've used a Garmin Nuvi 265W once before, just for the POI's from Traildamage.com and the breadcrumbs. It works fine for that.

Fordguy77
February 3rd, 2013, 10:24 PM
Ive been using a handheld Garmin unit for a while.
The Oregon 550t

And Ive also recently used nüvi® 3590LMT as well, and it worked fairly good however i still prefer the Oregon 550t.

The StRanger
February 3rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
Im runnin a older Magellin. I love that thing
Wifey got me a top end Garmin for Xmass
Its spent more time inop that workin

Max
February 3rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
I have a nearly new Garmin eTrex handheld for sale ;)

Check the classified section.