PDA

View Full Version : JK Transfer case linkage

ColoJeeper
July 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Anybody familiar with how the linkage is setup on the Jeep JK's? I hit a trail this afternoon and went to shift the t-case in low range and the shift lever just flops around. Knowing jeep there is some silly plastic piece that holds the linkage together, but I haven't had it apart and am not familiar with it.

Anybody know anything about how it goes and/or has access to a drawing they can post?

I'd appreciate it.

Brody
July 3rd, 2012, 05:56 AM
This may help Don:

Another mans shift linkage repair - JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/another-mans-shift-linkage-repair-1211510/)

You are dealing with a stupid little push in plastic bushing that the cable end goes through. If you lie on you back on the driver's side with your head towards the front of the rig and look back along the side of the transfer case, you can see and access this little bushing. .....Provided, of course, that you don't have an after market skid plate that you have to take off to see anything. If you can see and access it easily, it is a simple and quick fix. The part is a Jeep part, but most places that deal with after market Jeep parts sell these, as well as the after market upgrades. If you do decide to stay with the bushing and purchase one, best to purchase a couple for spares.

Here is the part number and a crappy picture of the culprit:

And a good shot of what you should be looking at is on this link:

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70344

Hopefully this will get you in the ballpark. There also may be another plastic bushing inside the console that is also a problem child, but I believe that that is associated more with the auto trans.

ColoJeeper
July 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks Pete....that's what I was suspecting, but decided not to mess with it since there isn't a part within 200 miles in any direction for it.

Will just have to stay off the 4x4 trails in Wyoming this trip.

Brody
July 4th, 2012, 06:01 AM
This from another forum:

Everyone has their own way, here’s how I did mine. No pictures – believe me, it will be easy to follow along.

1) First, drive home from the place where you had to be towed to on Chrysler’s dime when the thing broke, since your Poly Performance t-case skid made access impossible.

2) Go to the dealership and buy some of the offending bushings, just in case you need them. (you won’t; you’re developing a better solution). Marvel at the 35-cent butter-soft, heat-and-grease susceptible plastic component that disabled your vehicle.http://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/shaking.gif

3) Go to hardware store – acquire an assortment of steel sleeves, bushings, tubing, washers, and e-clips to craft your solution.

4) Pull Poly t-case skid – you will need arms the length of cro-magnon man to reach a few of the nuts underneath. Remove it and examine the shredded remains of previous bushing that nestled there. Set aside.

5) Realize that you can’t remove the shift pawl from the transfer case, because you’ve got a Rubicon – instead of the 10mm nut that the other models have, you have a little allen or torx head on there. Don’t bother getting your wrenches – it’s so close to the front driveshaft yoke there is no way to get to it off without pulling the drive shaft and yoke. Abandon idea of removing pawl. Understand you therefore can’t use anything you bought at the hardware store.

6) Install new butter-soft, heat-and-grease susceptible failure prone bushing into cable end. Cut bushing end flush with cable eye and slide on shaft. Take a washer and e-clip and get them into position.

7) Call Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot as the washer and e-clip repeatedly bounce off your safety glasses and roll into oblivion every time you try to get pliers into the tiny, unreachable, convoluted spacers between the exhaust, driveshaft yoke, and cables. Abandon the e-clip idea. http://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/pissed.gif

8) Get into other car and drive back to hardware store. Buy some hitch pins. Come back and clip hitch pin into recess on end of shaft.

9) Done. Now have fun doing the console side.

10) Realize hours have gone by. Drink beer. Revel in your new deep, complete understanding of exactly why Chrysler quality is still regarded as the poorest in the industry and why we are all funding their bailout with every paycheck.

That’s it! You’ve done good. Now go break it again. __________________

Jeepfreak
July 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM
The pics on the jeepforum link above are pretty good and it looks almost exactly like the connection on the shift cable on my TJ's auto shift cable. I had issues with mine breaking so instead of going back with the oem plastic I used a shoulder bolt with washers and a nylock nut on mine and have never had an issue. Quick simple fix I will try to get some pics up soon.

ColoJeeper
July 20th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Advance adapters makes a complete replacement for this that gets rid of Jeeps wimpy cable and plastic bushing assembly for about $200. Had Jeep fix mine this time since it is under warranty, but will problably put the Advance Adapter part on in the future and not have to worry about this.

On mine, the bushing at the transfer case broke, and somehow also broke the end off of the cable for the linkage as well.

xaza
July 20th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Gotta love those little plastic pieces, glad you got it fixed and they took care of you!

cfr
July 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Common problem. Search the JK-specific forums. Carry some small zip ties.