PDA

View Full Version : 2 Speed Taurus fan in a TJ

Errinjan
June 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Has anyone done this Mod?

Jim
June 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I have been considering it (with some research) for the YJ as the mechanical fan is LOUD when up a few RPM's. the topic was brought up here perhaps a month ago. Alternatively, JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com) has many write-ups (some good, some not so good).

Holler if you have Q's if I might answer for you.

Errinjan
June 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I have a E-Fan now, it's dying on me I think. I thought about going back to mechanical.

Brody
June 27th, 2012, 04:09 AM
JEEP INFORMATION AND LINKS (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?2755-JEEP-INFORMATION-AND-LINKS)

Post #57 if you haven't already looked. I have wired in many junkyarded fans from various rigs into a lot of stuff without an issue. You are essentially dealing with just a plus and minus wire, whether you toss in a thermostat/temperature control or a regular switch. My current heap has a Yota passenger car/van fan wired to a simple switch.

Errinjan
June 27th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I have a 2 speed relay w/ temp sensor, my concern is- it is not set up to shut the lower speed off when the higher speed is actuated. I've had it several years (this is actually the 2nd Taurus fan I've had-the first one was misplaced in 22,000ft hog barn back in KC)

Brody
June 27th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I would lose so much stuff in a 22,000 ft space it would be laughable....Probably lose myself..

Errinjan
June 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Me to, my buddy and his 2 brothers rent it for $300 a month. It is a awesome place. They are a bunch of Pontiac nuts from their father on down. My TJ spent about 18 months there several years ago.

Jim
June 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I have a 2 speed relay w/ temp sensor, my concern is- it is not set up to shut the lower speed off when the higher speed is actuated.

I'd think / could an additional relay resolve this issue?

Hypoid
June 28th, 2012, 06:12 AM
I have a 2 speed relay w/ temp sensor, my concern is- it is not set up to shut the lower speed off when the higher speed is actuated. I did some reading up on these, you are correct in thinking that the low speed should not have power when the high speed turns on. If you want to drive to Golden, I can look it over for you.

Jim, I did a search for two speed fan controllers. I'll post some good links when I get home this evening. :)

xaza
June 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
A double pole double throw relay would have a set of normally open and a set of normally closed contacts. You connect the low speed to the normally closed contact and it will run on low when the relay is not energized. Connect high to the normally open contacts and then when relay energizes it will take power away from low and apply it to the high. The temp sensor then needs to close on a rise in temperature and be wired to the coil contacts on relay to create switchover. As for power supply to relay it should be through ignition to prevent fan from running constant. So one relay will work great if wired correctly. Not too sure the effects of powering both speeds at same time but I will ask some of the more seasoned techs at work today.

Hypoid
June 28th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Not too sure the effects of powering both speeds at same time but I will ask some of the more seasoned techs at work today. The Ford fan has dual windings. I'm thinking the low speed windings will shunt the high speed windings if both are energized at the same time.

It seems like other brand's controllers choke the voltage to their fans, similar to the resistor coils inside heater boxes.

Hypoid
June 28th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I'd think / could an additional relay resolve this issue?
From what I'm reading, most likely. :)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/Tim65GT/Misc/FanRelayWiring.jpg

Hypoid
June 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM
There were a couple links that had some good ideas for adapting the two speed fans, and fan controllers in general, if you are into building your own.

I think this site has a simulator, but my browser is not up to using it: CircuitLab - Taurus 2-Speed Fan Control (https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/tf7gpa/taurus-2-speed-fan-control/)

Freewheeling diode? Interesting: Ford Taurus 2-Speed Fan Install « Bob's Garage Library (http://bzerob2.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/ford-taurus-2-speed-fan-install/)#

The tenth post, by digitalsolo has a diagram for adapting the dual-wound motor to the GM PCM: Two speed Taurus fan wiring (GM PCM) (http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=767.0)

If you are that handy, build your own damn controller, like Tim65GT did in post 12: Taurus Fan Wiring Problem | Mustang Forums at StangNet (http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/taurus-fan-wiring-problem.796649/#post-8026706)

Errinjan
June 30th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Well I've spent the last two days under, on and around my jeep. First day was changing rear seal in the Transfer Case and installing a newly built D/S from Bill's Englewood. (that shaft eliminated vibration issues that I've been plagued with forever) I can't tell you how much better this thing drives especially at highway speeds.
Yesterday was fan day. Pulled the old E-Fan out leaving the existing controller. After pulling the radiator I did a little trimming in the fan shroud (very little), added a few mounting tabs. The fan itself I had to take the 3 mounting screws out, turn the motor out of the way. Then grind flush the the bolt hole that extended 3/8's of an inch above the back of the housing. Even with that lowering I had to take my grinder to the back of the Fan Motor housing-basically grinding 2 of the vents and lowering the edge about 1/8". This gave the fan motor clearance from the old fan hub. I mounted the fan has high as I could on the radiator. Hoping to get more airflow over the winch.

Now the wiring, thanks for the diagram. I've seen a few controllers (few on ebay that look awesome but pricey) I have a 2 speed controller that I got (not sure when or where) it has 2 40 amp relays in it. I'm leaning to going with 3 (2 40's, 1 70) It appears this is work I can do myself. Where can I get the parts?

Errinjan
June 30th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Correction- My 2 speed controller is a 2 FAN controller that each fan has a HIGH/Low setting. It's only running 40 amp relays (ok for low, not enough for high)

Hypoid
June 30th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I would think, most any auto parts would have high-amp relays.

Errinjan
June 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks I have a old (new) ford solenoid for another issue. I've read that will work on the high speed side.
I'm not sure but I may be having a issue with the single speed controller I now use. It may me cutting off the fan at 240 (it seems I hit 240 then instantly I go to 260 (in the red) At this point my fan runs from startup. I think I'll put a on/off switch the on low speed and have a separate switch (or a on-off-on) to turn on High speed when I need it. I'll look for a complete control system later (make sure this JY fan makes it through the summer

Errinjan
June 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Auto parts store generally stop a 40 amps. I figure a car stereo place or electronics store should have one. For now I'll just us the ford solenoid and run the fan speeds manually. I've wired in a on-off-on dash switch that tested out ok on the low speed today. Tomorrow I need a few parts to finish up the High speed side. The Taurus fan is doing a better job than the old ebay fan. But the Jeep still warms up on long inclines. I'm sure a better radiator would help but hopefully the high speed fan will take care of my problem for now. Thanks for your help

Hypoid
June 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I think that once you get the airflow problem solved, your Jeep will run much cooler. :)

Errinjan
July 1st, 2012, 06:24 AM
Exactly, airflow. Mounting a big winch up front didn't help matters at all. With out it I may have been just fine on low speed. Several weeks ago in an effort to improve airflow I fabbed in plastic skirts along each side of the radiator inside the grill. (I think this is a stock setup that we neglected to put back in when I had to replace the front end) My main concern will be the durability of the Junk Yard fan.

Brody
July 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM
You are probably going to be fine with the junkyard fan. Every fan I have gotten from the junkyards has worked for years and the current fan in my heap from an older Yota has worked just fine for 3 years or more. I have also used Mercedes and Volvo fans to good effect.

You might consider a couple of LeBaron style hood vents or something similar. They actually work well to dump a lot of heat. The radiator shroud may also help a lot as that directs the air better for better cooling. If you are still having heating issues, dump the anti freeze out and use it for winter driving only. In the summer months run the 'Super Cool' radiator fluid per the directions as this drops temps down a lot overall. As another thought, get a windshield washer pump from pretty much anything (bigger cars/rigs are better, buses and trucks better yet) and run the line so that it sprays over the top front of the radiator. When the temps start to climb, just give the switch a bump and spray water over the front of the radiator. Cheap and effective...

On the not so cheap side, you can pick up an after market radiator like a Griffin, which has more capacity and better cooling. Expect to pay some big bucks......

I fought a serious overheating issue in a 69 Bronco I did back in the 80s and it was no fun.

Errinjan
July 1st, 2012, 10:11 AM
I vented my hood several years ago with vents from Gen-Right. I'll find out today if the high speed fan will do the trick as soon as I gather the last of the parts list

Errinjan
July 1st, 2012, 10:37 PM
Well it's all wired but no cigar on high anyway. Not sure If I'm using enough current to initiate the Solenoid. My on-off-on setup seems to working fine. It's feeding power to the Solenoid it's just not completing the circuit. On low speed I get some bleeding of power in the high power line from the fan.

Having a hard time finding relays and fuses over 40 amps (not sure I need much more than that When you switch from low to high the fan is still spinning reducing the current needed to spool up) Probably will get a 40 amp relay tomorrow to replace the big Ford solenoid.

am I missing anything?

Hypoid
July 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM
It's hard to say over the interweb... ;)

Make sure the solonoid coil has a good ground. The Ford coils typically ground through the case.

Without having eyes on it, and taking my own measurements, There is only so much I can suggest.

Brody
July 2nd, 2012, 05:53 AM
Having a hard time finding relays and fuses over 40 amps (not sure I need much more than that When you switch from low to high the fan is still spinning reducing the current needed to spool up) Probably will get a 40 amp relay tomorrow to replace the big Ford solenoid.

You might check any of the stores that sell/install after market stereos. I found a big relay at O Reilly's a couple of weeks ago that worked for something else I was working on, BTW.

Errinjan
July 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM
O Tay! With the help of a tech call with Hypoid I discovered the solenoid I had was bad. I picked up a un-marked (amp rating) relay and BAM! High speed works with the flip of a switch. I took it on a high speed (fast as I dare drive) run up Mt Evans road. (my biggest problem has been overheating on long uphill runs at highway speed) When I noticed the temp stating to climb I switched over to the High speed fan. (I want to have manual control) On this 5 mile up hill run the temp held steady about 5-10 degrees above normal. At the top of the hill I checked the relay for overheating and found it to be normal. Wow I've been talking about this mod for years. Sorry I waited so long. Thanks for all the help

Jim
July 2nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Buckwheat agrees! CO is a good place to have a long uphill to test with! (I'm in IL now, no "long uphills" here) (long standing O`tay joke) (grumble - "ENTER" pressed to separate sections of my prior post but the forum is removing my "ENTERS" and making text all one line - arg.

Errinjan
July 2nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
Just got back from IL or at least passing through. twice