PDA

View Full Version : Dual winches

KnuckleHead
June 21st, 2012, 11:43 PM
So I have a Smitty XRC 10 on the front of my rig, I also have a Warn 8000 sitting in the garage. I want to put the Warn on the rear of the rig but do not have a control box or controller for. I was able to use the one off the Smitty one to test it and make sure it worked, and it does. Question I have is..... can you run the control box to a switch that will allow you to use either the rear or the front? Or do I need to just buy a control box for the Warn in the rear?

glacierpaul
June 22nd, 2012, 05:14 AM
I would want seperate controlers for both, or at the very least a back up for just one :). I do love Pete and Sean's rigs with the front and rear winches :thumb:

Popsgarage
June 22nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
X2!

Jim
June 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
It would be less costly, and better for the winch to have the control box near the motor.

Reason: Control box to battery is two cables, Control box to Winch is three cables. Control box farther away from winch means you get to purchase an extra, long cable [that third cable] (a bit of $$) but perhaps more importantly, those electrons when needing to be used by the winch will have to travel through more cabling to get there, and fewer will get there, reducing pulling power.

Brody
June 22nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
I would want separate controllers for both, or at the very least a back up for just one :). I do love Pete and Sean's rigs with the front and rear winches :thumb:

X whatever. You can also do a 4 solenoid pack following the winch wiring diagrams in the TECH section (cheapo solenoids, too), a trailer wiring harness plug in and a regular old switch. What has been said about the winch to battery wiring: the farther away from the power source, the thicker (finer wire is better, too) the cable you need to use.

Brad
June 23rd, 2012, 06:09 AM
These are the guys I use for my copper! Good folks and usually free shipping. :thumb:
battery cables, electric power cable assemblies (http://store.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com/cable-jumpers-tin-plated-lugs.html)

They have a really quality product, I got a set of 2/0 8 ft cable for my solar in my camper, came fine thread with great flexibility! Plan on using them for my winch cabling and my dual battery setup in the Disco.