PDA

View Full Version : ToyTec Ultimate Tacoma 3" Lift Install: 2004 Taco

Brody
May 25th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Stephanie sent a friend of hers over to me for a 3" lift install on his 2004 Tacoma. Here is the install:

ToyTec has the install instructions downloadable from their website. They do not come in a hard copy form with the kit. The instructions with the kit are for the differential drop down brackets. The extended brake lines do not come with the kit, either, but are a very good idea if you do a lift of any kind.

The install is straight forward and follows roughly the same process that you do replacing a CV axle, lower ball joint or shock assembly. The Haynes, Chiltons or FSM all cover the same stuff, with some minor variations. Standard tools, with the exception of the spring compressor, are all that you need for this.

I hosed down EVERYTHING that was going to come loose thoroughly with PB Blaster prior to starting, letting it soak in as I jacked and blocked the truck up, fired up the compressor, etc. If you can do this a day or so prior to starting the job, it works even better.

The pictures are self explanatory. The only tricky part is the coilover removal, but that, too, is straightforward. Simply compress the spring prior to removing any nuts or bolts and the whole assembly pretty much drops out. A little trick here is to jack the A arm up after the tire is removed, install the spring compressor (you usually do not need to get this more than hand tight as the spring is already 'compressed'), then lower the jack under the A arm.

You do not need the compressor for the install. You just need to push down on the bottom A arm at the same time you are pushing up on the upper arm to be able to stick the lower shock bolt in place....With just two hands, it is a bit entertaining, but relatively easy to do.

It is also a good thing to not pop the axle loose from the diff. Just saves a bit of time. Check the axle a couple of times during the install to make sure that it is still engaged and then button it up. when you are doing this, this is a good time to check the lower ball joint as well as the upper. If they show a lot of wear or play, simply replaced them.

Brody
May 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
The next set of pictures. All I have left is the rear shocks and steel brake line to do. Photoshop needs spell check...HAHA.. legible at any rate....Someone is going to have to tell me how a jack can be "raided":lmao::lmao:

Popsgarage
May 25th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Nice write-up, Pete.

Michael4rnr
May 25th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Nice install. Very good that's what I'm going to put on my runner.

WDoG
May 25th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Great write up. Run into any snags? Stuck bolts? Those things always seem to pop up in 'straight forward' jobs haha.

Brody
May 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Great write up. Run into any snags? Stuck bolts?

The only problems:
Expected:
Rusted in center pins/nuts
Unexpected:
With 70k and all original equipment, none of the brakes had ever been serviced. All of the bleeder valves were corroded and somewhat clogged with junk. All were rusted. I cleaned all of these off and cleaned all the ports so that they worked.
When I bled the rear brakes, I noticed that there was very little fluid actually getting to the lines, a lot less than I like. I then bled the proportioning valve and that fixed the issue.
Accessing the front brake fittings for the replacement steel lines is a bit awkward and hard to get to.
The top mount for the rear shock that is angled towards the back is hard to get to. It was tight enough that installing the top new shock required shaving a bit off the bushing to actually start the bolt.

So, to sum it up, typical lift kit install.

Here are the last of the pictures:

The "stuck" bolts were on Jesee's 2001 4Runner that was here a couple of days prior to this.:lmao:

taco52
May 25th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Looks really good. I hope i have enough money for a lift by the end of summer.

Java
May 26th, 2012, 07:23 AM
very nice, and that is a sweet Tacoma.

Brody
May 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
This came as a referral from Stephanie (Pathrat) and is one of the doctors who works where she does. Nice guy and wanted this done before moving down to Arizona in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, Stephanie! Fun job....

Patrolman
May 26th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Nice work. He is sure to enjoy the truck in the desert!