PDA

View Full Version : Bent/broke my stock drag link in moab.

Kory
May 23rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
John, Keith and myself this last Saturday ran the "Trifecta" in Moab. The trio of Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim. I came up to the golden crack on Golden Spike and figured I would give it a try being that I have decent flex on my Jeep. Turns out this was not a good idea with a stock steering setup. Ended up bending my drag link on the crack and later when we exited on Poison Spider I completely snapped my drag link coming down the V notch. After doing some quick google research it turns out that the crack on Golden Spike has bent/broke many stock drag links. If I had know this before hitting the trail I would have taken the bypass.

With the help of Jeff we were able to find a bent drag link in town and have it straightened enough to get me off the trail and back home. A HUGE thanks to Jeff for finding it and getting it up to me on the trail. Another HUGE thanks to Keith and John for doing the repair on the trail so I could get back to the hotel.

All in all it was a great trip! If anyone decides to do the trio I suggest starting at 6 or 7 am. By the time we got everything fixed and back down to the trail head it was 9:30. I ended up missing Hells Revenge on Sunday because I did not want to risk breaking it again seeing that the "new" drag link had already been straightened and the metals strength had been compromised.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vb96jr.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/219nldt.jpg

Beefy
May 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
At least it got fixed and the rig and/or you didn't get stuck out there! I need to post a Carnage thread too. :D

Stock steering leaves a lot to be desired. :(

Heather
May 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
That picture is so completely BA, though. So glad it worked out and you guys had a blast.

upnover
May 23rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Have Brody make you one.

MelloYello
May 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Glad to help Kory. This is the best reason to go in a group. Those trails were fun.

Kory
May 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM
get a heavy duty currie now!!! it wont break on you..

Good idea. Only problem with that idea is I don't currently have the hundreds of dollars it takes to buy the currie steering.

Brody
May 23rd, 2012, 04:46 PM
Nice fix/repairs! Sound like you guys had a good trip albeit with a bit of carnage!

Let me know if there is something I can do to help with the repair/future fix, etc.

Michael4rnr
May 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Glad it didnt take long to get off the trail and not have to stay all night. Great picture of the flex though.

Popsgarage
May 24th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Way better flex like you now have will do that to the parts you don't want to break. Carry a spare or two and the tools to fix it for a while and save up for the better steering.

Kory
May 24th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Way better flex like you now have will do that to the parts you don't want to break. Carry a spare or to and the tools to fix it for a while and save up for the better steering.

It is a rude wake up call when you break something. The stock parts on any rig are not made for the beating we put on them.

Java
May 24th, 2012, 08:03 AM
that sucks, but it's worth the awesome avatar!! resourceful repair too. have you considered upgrading to the ZJ steering stuff? A lot cheaper than Currie...

Beefy
May 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM
that sucks, but it's worth the awesome avatar!! resourceful repair too. have you considered upgrading to the ZJ steering stuff? A lot cheaper than Currie...

That's what he has. :(

ZJ uses same drag link apparently.

Java
May 24th, 2012, 08:06 AM
wow. that's what I have... so much for that confident feeling! guess I should follow this thread and upgrade mine too.

Kory
May 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM

I have the ZJ tie rod. As Jeff said I believe the other parts of the ZJ steering are the same as the TJ.

SCRubicon
May 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Golden crack is also a great place to find out that your shocks are not long enough for your setup. (or you need suspension limiting straps) I watched two Jeeps ahead of me puke out shock oil just before my turn to cross.

Gossamer
May 24th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Sucks bro ..glad u made it home safe though

Kory
May 24th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Golden crack is also a great place to find out that your shocks are not long enough for your setup. (or you need suspension limiting straps) I watched two Jeeps ahead of me puke out shock oil just before my turn to cross.

I did notice my front shock boots came lose but did not notice any shock oil pukeage when I was putting the boot back on. I guess I am good.