PDA

View Full Version : Need help with A/C

WDoG
May 10th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hey hey guys.

I need help with my a/c on the rodeo. It works. Kinda. That's the problem. It doesn't blow below 60F. Also, when the compressor kicks on it cools down but as soon as it cycles off it will warm up a
5-10 degrees, a notible difference. It's starting to warm up around here so I'm wanting to get it fixed.

Now I know what you all are thinking "it's low on r134" but I'm not sure that is it. I have UV dye in the system, looked for leaks with a uv light and found none. I've done some reaearch and think I just need a clean start on the a/c which involves this:

Evac of old r134
Put a vacuum on the system
recharge it with the proper amount of r134

Now from what I read a/c stuff is an art. It's not just something you do in the back yard. You really need someone that knows what they are doing.

So can someone help me with this or do y'all know someone who is trustworthy and not going to screw me?
Any advice is greatly appreciated guy :)

Brody
May 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Call Scotty at Arvada Auto Tech:

Arvada Auto Tech
5395 MARSHALL STREET
ARVADA CO 80002
303-420-5106
contact@arvadaautotech.com

Tell him that I sent you and that you are with Front Range 4x4. If he cannot diagnose this or fix it, he will tell you and usually suggest someone who he does business with. Scotty is a good guy and a real straight shooter.

WDoG
May 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Awesome! I'll give him a call tomorrow morning. Thanks Pete!

Brad
May 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I highly recommend someone with a machine handle this but just a FYI, you may have a clogged filter screen ( there is a name for this, a filter of some type) or a clogged reciever dryer. Just a heads up.

WDoG
May 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Yup, thats what I want. Someone that has the equipment to properly diagnose. :)

Squshiee1
May 10th, 2012, 07:09 PM
had the same problem, i ended up just charging the ac and it worked great! good luck!

xaza
May 10th, 2012, 07:19 PM
It is not too expensive to buy a small can of the refrigerant that comes with a cheap guage on it. You can attach the hose to the a/c without spraying any refrigerant, it will tell you if you are low. If so add a little at a time according to directions. After adding allow at least 2 minutes for the system to balance out and see if you need more. If that doesn't help or the issue re-occurs then take it in to someone. My :2c:

WDoG
June 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Thought I would follow up on this thread.

Well I took the Rodeo over to Arvada Auto Tech per Brody's advice. They took great care of me. Evac'd, vaccumed, then refilled the ac with proper amount of r134. No leaks! Great! Only problem is that it still wouldn't cool past 60 degrees. So I said thanks and decided to take a look at a few other things.

Fixed it! Turns out my temperature knob on the dash was not adjusted properly. Now it's blowing nice and cold!

Thanks guys for all the help!

xaza
June 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Just for future reference, refrigerant does not get old, wear down or need to be replaced unless one of many other issues occurs. The only times an A/C system should ever be opened up is if there is a restriction/component that needs repaired or refrigerant leaks. Only way the refrigerant will will go bad is if air gets introduced to the system (low side pressure has to drop below atmospheric pressure (13.? at sea level) or if the compressor burns out. Compressor burn out actually will turn oil into acid and system needs to be properly flushed when compressor is replaced. Sorry I am not much help with car A/C because it requires a different fitting for the hoses specific for automotive that I don't have.

WDoG
June 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Just for future reference, refrigerant does not get old, wear down or need to be replaced unless one of many other issues occurs. The only times an A/C system should ever be opened up is if there is a restriction/component that needs repaired or refrigerant leaks. Only way the refrigerant will will go bad is if air gets introduced to the system (low side pressure has to drop below atmospheric pressure (13.? at sea level) or if the compressor burns out. Compressor burn out actually will turn oil into acid and system needs to be properly flushed when compressor is replaced. Sorry I am not much help with car A/C because it requires a different fitting for the hoses specific for automotive that I don't have.

They said the compressor was fill to the max with oil and the system was over charged. I guess the previous owner didn't know what he was doing. Everything is running smooth now. :D

xaza
June 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Nice, in a small system it is pretty easy to over-charge. Good thing you caught that, an overcharged system=new compressor. Glad it is working good!