PDA

View Full Version : Built0in Code Reader in Jeeps (and others?)

Java
April 21st, 2012, 06:57 AM
Just came across this, (it's a cut / paste, excuse the formatting) apparently you can pull up trouble codes with the ignition key:

Insert the key into your ignition. Rotate it to the "On" position (third position) without starting the engine.

Push inward on the key (toward the ignition), and quickly rotate the key from the "On" position to the "Acc" position (second position) three times, ending in the "On" position.

Pay attention to the lights in your instrument cluster. If you've done everything correctly, all of the lights will light up and six dashes (- - - - - -) will appear on your odometer for a brief period.

Observe the odometer and write down any diagnostic trouble codes that it displays. The codes should appear immediately after the six dashes. If there are no codes in the Jeep's computer, the odometer will read "-done-" after the dashes.

Rotate the key to the "Off" position, and remove the key from the ignition.

taco52
June 5th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Interesting. I will have to try it.

Rick
June 5th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Wife's Neon does that.turn the key on-off 3x's and hold on the 3rd and the code pops up. Pretty cool for sure

BlackRubi
June 6th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I did it with my Jeep. It helps.

Clickpopboom
April 28th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Similar process for the OBD1 Jeeps. Cycle key to on, off, on, off, on. (3 on's) The check engine light will now blink out your 2 digit code(s). For example, mine is giving me code 24 which is 2 blinks, pause, 4 blinks. The last code will always be 55 (5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks) to signify the end of the code pull.

Brad
April 28th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Disco has one stock under the passenger seat. Really handy.

Jim
April 29th, 2013, 01:41 AM
For my 1993 Honda car I have to put a paperclip/shorting jumper in a connector under the dash and then do the key sequence (and read light flash on dash)