PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ a CB

Lynusann
April 11th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I finally got a CB radio but having some trouble with it. I know it works because the guy I bought it from had it in his car and had it on and working fine for me. However, when I plug it into my 12V receptacle I can't get it to power on. I know the receptacle works though because I keep my phone charger plugged into it.

What I'd really like to do is run it directly into the battery if possible though and get it hooked up so it's functional. However, I honestly have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with regards to doing that. If there's someone that is in the Springs or Pueblo and has one evening during the week or even a day during one of these upcoming weekends I would be willing to assist me I would be extremely grateful. I'll even come with beers in tow! The only thing about it is that I would like to do the work and have someone that's patient enough to tolerate me as I fumble through it :lmao:

Max
April 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM
The plug may not be getting far enough in to make contact. Try twisting it or gently pushing it in further. You can also test it again in another vehicle to make sure it still works.

Lynusann
April 11th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I tested it in my prius and it worked. Powered up with no issue. What I'm really wanting to do though is to run it directly into the battery. Where the plug receptacle is, is right in front of my knee so it's painfully inconvenient to leave it there long term even if it did work. A friend actually helped me mess with the plug for about a half an hour when I first got it and we couldn't get it to power up in my jeep but it worked just fine in his. It's so weird though because like I said, my phone charger works just fine in it.

Robert B
April 11th, 2012, 11:12 PM
im in the spring and could probably help :) have wired in a few cbs ......radios...... and other electrical stuff :)

Lynusann
April 11th, 2012, 11:20 PM
That would be amazing! I work typical business hours during the week but outside that, just let me know when you're free and what works best for you!

Robert B
April 11th, 2012, 11:24 PM
sent a PM :thumb:

Popsgarage
April 11th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Even if you get it done you should come up this weekend. We're wrenching on some rigs, and it'd be nice to finally meet ya!!!!

Lynusann
April 11th, 2012, 11:41 PM
haha, trust me, I have plenty of other things that can be done on my rig...and TON of questions on what *can* be done on my rig too. Like questions about a TBi conversion I'd like to do for starters. And the functionality of plenty of other things that I still have yet to learn about.

Robert B
April 11th, 2012, 11:44 PM
TBi conversion I'd like to do for starters
ur truck is carbed????/ okay then .........mine has TBI you could compare to and Pops one might but i think 87 was a half and half year

Popsgarage
April 11th, 2012, 11:47 PM
You got it right there, Robert. TBI on my '87. I think I'm gonna go 4BT diesel though. What's next on yours, Lynnsy???

Brody
April 12th, 2012, 05:04 AM
And if they are too busy over at Jonathan's, I am right across Wadsworth from him, about 5 minutes away. I can also help get the CB wired in.

BTW, what party at Jonathan's??

Basically you are dealing with only two wires for your CB (discounting the mic and antenna), a power (+) and a ground (-). If you want to run the CB directly off of the battery, a simple inline fuse (if the CB doesn't already have one in the wiring it came with) will work just fine. Running the CB off of the battery will also eliminate static picked up from running it off of an accessory fuse on a piggy back wiring set up.

Run the positive line to the battery, connecting it to the + terminal, using a crimp on style connector with the appropriate sized eye for the bolt on the battery connector. Ground the CB to any convenient factory ground under the dash. Chances are that you are going to see a bolt that is already being used for a ground for something else. If not, use another eye style crimp connector and connect that to any metal bolt or screw under the dash, making sure that it is bolted (or screwed) through metal and not plastic.

Standard colors are red for positive and black for the ground. You don't need any "special" tools for this as all you need to do is to strip the insulation away from the wires and crimp the connector on the ends. Should you have to extend the wires that are on the CB, there are crimp style connectors to join two wires. Watch the color sizing on the the connectors and get the right sized one for the wiring you have. My guess is that you will be able to use the red connectors. If you can only get the blue connectors and the wire is small (ie:needed the smaller red) simply double the stripped wire back, twist it and then stick it in the connector and crimp it. You can fake the crimping with a pair of pliers and the stripping with a razor knife, but you will be better off getting a $5 set of wire strippers and using them. The have rounded grooves in them to use for crimping and different sized holes in them for stripping different sized wires.

You can pick up any of this stuff at Home Depot, Lowe's, Radio Shack, ACE, or any auto parts place. Since you are probably not going to be doing a mess of wiring in the future, going to ACE may be the best bet as they sell all the connectors individually. The other places usually sell a small box of them.

Good information here. Don't pay too much attention to all of the "tuning " information if you are only concerned with listening to the folks on the trail with you. Look at where he mounted the CB as this is a good area for Jeeps.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/cb/cb_install-2.htm

http://www.stu-offroad.com/cb/cb1/cb-1.htm

Detailed install on a JK:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/affordable-jeep-jk-wrangler-cb-radio-solutionmidland-model-1001z

Jp magazine write up:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/electrical/154_1104_cb_radio_install_how_tos/index.html

Hope that helps.

Heather
April 12th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Even if you get it done you should come up this weekend. We're wrenching on some rigs, and it'd be nice to finally meet ya!!!!
x3 YES!!! Come hang with us! Let's have the girls of the club descend on Jonathan's!! :woot:

Cr33p3r
April 12th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Yeah you should try to make it up Saturday kind of meet and greet/ work/ BBQ.

Max
April 12th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I'll be doing the same thing with my CB when I get all the parts together. I still need to find a place to mount it either with a bracket or stick it where I don't need one. I'll be wiring it to the battery too. After that I could use some help tuning it if someone has a SWR meter and some experience.

Robert B
April 12th, 2012, 05:40 PM
After that I could use some help tuning it if someone has a SWR meter and some experience.
if ur ever in the springs i know how to use one of those :)

Lynusann
April 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I am going to try to make it up to Denver for sure. It would be later because Robert has so kindly offered to help me run my CB saturday already so it'll kinda depend on how long it takes to do it. I would love to finally get to meet some of the group!

Popsgarage
April 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM
BTW, what party at Jonathan's??

Finishing up Robyn's belly pan bolt/nutsert fix. If you get a minute, swing by. Wife's out of town, so it's gonna be a hoot. Kid's gonna work on his MJ, Matt needs a couple tack welds on his new rear control arm brackets, Chris, Sean and Val are coming to laugh at all of us, Heathers gonna be moral support, Lynnsy might make it and laugh at us as well. If anyone else want's to participate, shoot me a PM. Starting around 9 am on Saturday.

Lynusann
April 12th, 2012, 10:48 PM
If I come up I might have to put you to work fixing some things on my rig too :P

Popsgarage
April 12th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Let's gitterdun!!!!!! Won't be a problem.