PDA

View Full Version : Don't hire this guy to weld for you!

Cr33p3r
April 10th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I would not trust anything welded by someone doing work like this!

Brody
April 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Well, he will be blind shortly, so I don't think will be an issue....

Jim
April 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Some time back I had some exhaust (2-stroke motor) work done by a local (Illinois) welder. Talking with him at his shop, he kept moving his head side to side / circles / up-down. My take is that the centers of his eyes were burned but the peripheral was still good. Bummer.

At least on the job he did for me, it's still holding w/o any issue!

Alpine Spirit
April 10th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Ohhhh I have some shock tabs that need welding..... ;)

Cr33p3r
April 10th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I recently was experiencing some problems with my auto darkening helmet that really aggravated my eyes for a few days, when I would start an arc the lens was not darkening after the 3rd time I walked outside held it up towards the sun and it darkened then went right back to normal a few times(and no I was not looking at the sun either) this seemed to fix the problem. I think it just needed a stronger light source to reactivate the sensors.

Popsgarage
April 11th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Mine won't dim for the sun, but it will for an arc. And both you and I know that not using one is more than kind of stupid. And yes, I'm guilty of not using one at all to tack weld. For all you new to welding folks, DON"T DO IT, it really sucks.

4Runninfun
April 11th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Mine won't dim for the sun, but it will for an arc. And both you and I know that not using one is more than kind of stupid. And yes, I'm guilty of not using one at all to tack weld. For all you new to welding folks, DON"T DO IT, it really sucks.

I was doing that as well but I decided I needed to do something different. What I did is I went to air gas got some $5 shade 5 glasses for cutting. You can still see out of them well enough to place your tacks accurately. But when you close your eyes and pull the trigger, you don't see all the bight arc. much easier on the eyes.

Popsgarage
April 11th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Yeah, but the stupid thing is I own an autodarkening hood.

Cr33p3r
April 11th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I believe we all at times get in a bit of a hurry and just do a tack here and there w/o and as stated NOT A GOOD THING TO DO, I do like your idea 4Runninfun(Jon). it is definitely better than nothing at all which I am guilty of too.

Yeah, but the stupid thing is I own an autodarkening hood.

I have three different helmets and only use the auto helmet cause it spoiled me!

Fordguy77
April 11th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I have three different helmets and only use the auto helmet cause it spoiled me!
Luckily i have never spoiled myself enough to get an auto hood yet, so i am still welding in the dark with just a 12 Gold. Your complaint about the hood not working all the time is one of many i have heard, so i have convinced myself to just keep trucking with a old stand lens.

Jim
April 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
When traveling in Thailand I saw this welder connected up... The second pic / output side is the best (there is a good "can-do" attitude there though)!

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/motorcycle/2006-04-27-taiwan-thailand/05-22/img_3137.jpg

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/motorcycle/2006-04-27-taiwan-thailand/05-22/img_3138.jpg

Brody
April 11th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Luckily i have never spoiled myself enough to get an auto hood yet, so i am still welding in the dark with just a 12 Gold. Your complaint about the hood not working all the time is one of many i have heard, so i have convinced myself to just keep trucking with a old stand lens.

Same here, Chris. I like my eyes too much.

scout man
April 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I love my auto darkening mask. And its not even an expensive one. I have never had it fail to darken, and I can adjust how dark it gets depending on what I am welding, and where. I just make sure it gets some daylight from time to time to keep it charged up. I can also use it for the plasma cutter since its adjustable.

Popsgarage
April 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Mine is too, but on occasion they are a bit bulky and don't always fit where you need them to under the rig. Need a lift and shop, then I could work on everything standing up.:thumb:

Cr33p3r
April 12th, 2012, 08:44 AM
don't always fit where you need them to under the rig

That is one of the biggest problems with any helmet, I need to get one of the hand held shields for those tight areas. Mine auto helmet adjust automatically to the different types of welding and cutting or I can adjust it manually too. If it wasn't for work I would not have as expensive a helmet as I have, I am too cheap to spend that kind of money on stuff that I know I could easily get by with something basic.

Bunyon & Babe
April 19th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I seem to stick with the KISS principal. I think Ide worry too much about the auto helmet being a mili-second too slow and doing accumulative damage to my retinas. They are more convenient , but......