PDA

View Full Version : Toyota mechanic needed

Metalhed
February 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Looking for a Toyota mechanic. Current frustration level is moderate to high.

Need work on 1 problem and then some preventive maintenance

Problem: 1994 Toyota Pickup--22re The engine just started ticking. The ticking sound is coming from the 3/4 clyinder area. We found some gasket material in the engine compartment, thought it was blown gaskets on the header. Replaced all exhaust gaskets, checked the header and exhaust ports for cracks, it is not an exhaust leak or cracked head. It is not the valve cover. Truck ran great for over a year and just started to make this noise
I have been all over the engine looking for the cause of this ticking noise. Cant find it----- NEED HELP

Maintenance: 2001 Tacoma 3.4 V-6 Needs timing belt done. I have priced timing belt kits and found some good ones, just not sure if I want to do it myself.
I have scoured the net and found a number of timing belt write ups. The job does not look hard, just involved. I am a decent home mechanic and could tackle this, it just might take a full weeked or so.
I would need a chain wrench and a SST for the tensioners.

Why am I looking??? I have used a local guy before and recently asked him about the timing belt. He asked if I had the supercharger, I said yes. He stated that he would not be able to fly through the job because of the S/C Tensioner.
That comment and the fact that the dude is never in his shop and everytime I do find him at his shop, he is leaving or rushing somewhere else, really puts me off of having him do any more work for me.
The flying through the job comment was the last straw for me.

Number 1 priority is the ticking issue with the 94. I can not pin point the noise. This is my Sons truck and we have put a lot of time and dough into making it a decent rig.

Who do you use to work on your Toyota
thanks

Brody
February 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Shoot GENO a PM or email. Not only is he a pretty damn good mechanic, he is well versed with the super chargers on the 3.4L and has done quite a few of them. He is, however, down in the Springs. You may want to call Slee and ask to speak to Ben Swain. Ben knows TJ and FatBoy and a lot of other folks really good with Yota mechanicals. Tell Ben that I suggested that you get in touch with him.

I would help, but other than doing tune ups and minor mechanical stuff on rigs, I try to stay out of the engine stuff.

As far as doing the timing belt on the 3.4L yourself, even with the SC and tensioner on it, it is more a PITA to do than anything else.

Patrolman
February 11th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I am not a professional mechanic, but have done a fair amount of 22r/e work. These have manually adjustable valves. They will tick if they aren't adjusted right. You can also get a mechanics stethoscope to help track down the problem. They are simply and only cost a few bucks. They are made just for this purpose:

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-41966.html

Or if you want to spent some more money:
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-diagnostic-stethoscope-95653.html

Metalhed
February 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Been all over the motor with the stethoscope with no luck. The noise is not a constant ticking, when you rev the engine it will tick then go away, but the noise is intermittent at idle?? I dont know...???
I need someone else to look at it. Tired of dealing with it

Geno
February 12th, 2012, 09:47 PM
The noise at idle and it goes away under a load, possible timing chain has just started to wear through plastic guide and is starting to grind on inside of timing cover case. To test motor off,dist. cap off put timing on top dead center , with breaker bar on crank bolt move counterclockwise slowley until dist. shaft moves just a little, note timing degress number, now go clockwise until dist. shaft moves in oppistie direction . should not be more than 5 degree total. ( -2.5 to +2.5 ) would be max. Just a possible noise that will come and go and engine load changes. Also a compression check on the cyclinders will tell you if a valve seat is starting to go( firing noise as a ping in the exhaust header) or rings are getting some blow by( called piston slap or rattle) . These noises will seem to disappear when RPM increases, really they are just drowned out by normal engine noise. Patrolman could be correct too, 22re valves need to be adjusted at 150k at least. Just my guess for your noise decription. For the 3.4 S/C engine. to do the timing belt the S/C only adds 1 bolt ( tensioner blot) the dpipstick bracket pivits out of the way on the alt. bolt. I would not recommed doing the timing belt unless you feel very strong on your skills. The 3.4 problem is the crank bolt is put on needing 185 lbs of trq. and the the key way tends to not stay in the crank groove when installing the balancer . If it slips out and you **** the balancer and I know of 3 trucks that ran for a while like this ,( untill they threw off the belts) 2 needed new crankshafts and 1 needed only a new balancer, when it came to my personal truck , Real Toyota parts (tinming belt and water pump) cost about $200 +. The localToyota dealer here installed the new Timing belt and water pump ( do it at same time, they did not charge me any labor for the water pump) Cost about $550. I know its a lot of money, But it also comes with a warrenty. I do a lot of Work on 3.4s but timing belts are kind of a night mare. THe S/C does not have to be removed to do the timing belt. I hope this gets you going in the right direction. If I can help with anything else let me know.

Metalhed
February 14th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Geno Thanks for the info
On the 22re, I am leaning towards a valve type noise. The Valve seat sounds about as good as any of the things I have thought of. Sucks but it is what it is.
The tinking noise is not always present, more of an intermittent thing, it does rise with RPMs.
I am fairly sure it is not a timing chain, that has been replaced and with the stethoscope i can pinpoint the noise to the 3/4 cylinder area.
Going to look for a new head.

The info on the 3.4--Awesome thanks I dont what to jack up my truck by getting the balancer bolt and/or key in loose or wrong.
I am checking with Stevinsin Toyota West right now, but the service guy does not read emails completly and has not asnwered all of my questions

more later, once I do a leak down test to see if the 94 is toast

Metalhed
February 23rd, 2012, 12:45 AM
Long saga comes to an end!

The motor is toast. Took it to Slee on Monday and barely made it. They put the scope into the motor and looks like the piston hit the head on one cylinder and piston slap wasted another cylinder.

Searching for a rebuilt 22re now. If that is too expensive going to sell the truck as is
This is not good news

Brody
February 23rd, 2012, 05:10 AM
Good Luck with finding a rebuilt one. I would go to Yoda Jim or Yoda Yard...or Central Foreign Auto parts for a used one. Last one I put in cost me $500 and a days work start to finish in an 84 4Runner.

BTW, I had the same/similar problem with a 22RE in an 88 pickup I had. I thought it was the timing chain/timing chain guide, replaced all of that mess, started it up, and then slung a rod...

glacierpaul
February 23rd, 2012, 05:53 AM
James at J.D.'s Automotive owns and builds Toyota crawlers as well as being a great all around mechanic too, shop is in Lakewood at 11799 W. Colfax 720-443-6100. He may have leads on an engine too.

Brody
February 23rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Worth calls to all of those places.

Metalhed
February 24th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Brand New motor going in truck with new clutch and 4.70 gears in the T-case. Say good bye to the wallet.

Jackie
February 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Sorry about your troubles "NOT Marvin".

Chris - I'm amazed you got got a timing belt installed that cheap. A couple years ago, I had the one in my van replaced because I was nearing the 100,000 mile mark which is when Honda suggests you do it. It cost me $1,100. (I think they did some other stuff as well but I can't remember for sure). I just remember how NOT fun it was to pay the bill.