PDA

View Full Version : Trane heater down

Rick
January 22nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Anybody in the HVAC Business??? Woke up to a furnace not working. Pilot stays lit, burners wont kick on. Replaced thermostat ,thermocoupler(Just because) Fuse

mattzj98
January 22nd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Jesses father in law (Jesse05LJ) is in the business, shoot him a PM

Brody
January 22nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Either glacierpaul (Paul) or popsgarage (Jonathan) may be able to help, too.

Patrolman
January 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
My furnace has issues, particularly on windy days. There is the vent for the CO gases that goes up through the roof. When it gets windy it can blow just a small bit of the CO back down that vent (not enough to even set the CO detector off that sits next to the furnace). There is some sort of sensor in the vent that triggers somehow. Unsure if it is the CO buildup in the vent or what. In either case, all I have to do is take the cover off the furnace, reach up into the vent a bit, and push the button to reset it. Almost like resetting a breaker in a fuse panel. Only happens every couple of years, but good to know.

The other thing is on my furnace there is an actual fuse where it wires into the wall. At least once that fuse has blown, keeping the motor from coming on. I assume when you said fuse, that you replaced that? You can still test with a multimeter for voltage into the furnace. Just make sure you know how to use a multimeter first.

glacierpaul
January 23rd, 2012, 05:50 AM
Could be a few different things. Control module, or possibly a set limit switch or pressure switch, or a flame roll out safety switch and what Jeff said, a down draft safety switch. Is the furnace a sealed combustion unit, PVC pipe for the venting? If so, there is a constant condensation produced and a drain pipe from the furnace to the floor drain or a little pump which goes to a drain. If this blocked or not draining it will kill the furnace too. The blower motor could be shot as well. I would pm Jesse for his fathers info, as I am just a master plumber suggesting what I think it could be. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Popsgarage
January 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
X2 on what Paul said.

Rick
January 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
ended up just replacing furnace/it is 24 yrs old,and found out we have a family member in the biz/ did it for me at cost,nice and warm now/thank all of you for your help,i tried alot of the advise but finally threw in the towel

Cr33p3r
January 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Good to hear you got it taken care of Rick, We are going to be looking at replacing our furnace over the summer, will need all new ducting too because we are relocating it from the attic to the utility room.

glacierpaul
January 24th, 2012, 06:25 AM
ended up just replacing furnace/it is 24 yrs old,and found out we have a family member in the biz/ did it for me at cost,nice and warm now/thank all of you for your help,i tried alot of the advise but finally threw in the towel
Good to have help in the family(mine certainly is fortunate)!! Glad you have heat again!!

Rick
January 24th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hey Sean, My newly found family HVAC guy works for Cooper heating. The shop is up by you somewhere

Cr33p3r
January 25th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Rick we will give them a call here soon.