PDA

View Full Version : FIRST AID KIT AND INFORMATION

Brody
January 16th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I am going to start with what I carry in my personal First Aid Kit. Note that although I have a lot of First Aid and nursing experience and have taught advanced First Aid, I still carry a small First Aid book. A small version/handbook based around "Medicine For Mountaineering" or back country First Aid (REI has small books designed to be carried) is a very good one.

First Aid Book: A small, but comprehensive first aid book. (Even with nurses training and advanced first aid instuctor's experience, I still want one of these around...)
Maxi Pads for stopping heavy bleeding.
Tampons : carried for shooting injuries. These plug a bullet wound like nothing else.
Duct tape for splints, very bad wounds, etc
Sports tape for splints and wounds (paper tape is crap , so is the regular tape that comes in almost all first aid kits. I don't know what that is good for. It doesn't stick to squat...)
Butterfly bandages
Benadryl for anaphylatic shock (people alergic to bee/wasp stings-they need to still be breathing when you get them to a hospital)
Ibupropen
Prescription pain meds (for people I like)
Big and small fabric band aids (plastic sucks and doesn't stick or last)
New Skin (liquid band aid)
Super glue or Tissue Glue (either works for skin tears and bad cuts)
Splint material ( a chunk of gutter guard or metal plaster lathe works well, too. Used for broken bones. New Aspen branches work very well, too.)
Lidocaine (any kind of alcohol will also deaden the area in a pinch)
Syringe for the above plus a couple of extra needles
3-4 suture kits
Big gauze pads (thin and they can be cut to fit)
Ace bandages x 2
Temporary tooth repair stuff
Oragel for tooth aches (again, any kind of alcoholic beverage like whiskey will also work. You just gotta hold it in your mouth and not swallow it until the pain is gone...)
Surgical grade scissors (anything else is bunk)
Good angled tweezers
Dental floss (a good substitute for suture thread)
Tyelenol
Rolaids
Fire starter (plus matches and a lighter)
Rubber gloves
A packet or two of flu powder
Immodium for the runs
Cough drop
Scalpel with some extra blades
A roll (or two) of 2" gauze
A good anti-biotic ointment
Eye wash of some kind (A little bit of salt and water will also work)
Burn cream
Signal mirror
Marker/Pencil and notepad: For an emergency note or information about victim to be pinned to victim (ie: what was done, meds given, pulse, etc)
Safety pins
Spare batteries for headlamp ( Surprising how many people get jacked up at night)
Stuff for bee and wasp stings (just to get rid of the sting). (Tobacco of any kind will also work as a poultrice on the sting, as will ammonia)

There is some more, but I would have to get it out of the truck. And, granted, the zipper on this quite small kit is a bit strained.... REI actually has a good selection of first aid kit bags, though I can't say very much about anything in their 'first aid kits'...This is the basic kit that goes with me everywhere-backpacking, climbing, wheeling, camping, hiking, etc. What isn't in it can be jury-rigged in the field. Pathrat made a very good suggestion of bringing hydrogen peroxide, which I will try to find room for.

With this kit, I have sewn up myself and other people, set broken wrists, fingers, forearms, ankles, etc, stopped some very heavy bleeding(again, both my own and other folks), anchored broken ribs, stabilized a broken back (with a couple of ensolite pads and duct tape- we were a ways away from any help and the person needed to be transported out), stabilized a compound fracture or two (ugly), stabilized dislocated fingers, wrists and shoulders and a bunch of other major and minor stuff, so it works. Bren keeps promising me a stainless steel surgical stapler and when I finally get it from him, this will go in there also. These things are quick!

Bottom line-if you have a first aid kit, know how to use it.Stroke Information (from Chris):

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Thank God for the sense to remember the 3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke .

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to smile *
T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) i.e. It is sunny out today)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS .

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999/911 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke ------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other , that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

And, yes, feel free to copy, paste and send this to anyone you know.... http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/images/misc/paperclip.png Attached Images http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=529&stc=1&d=1210510127

Basic CPR:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/emergencies/cpr.html#

http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/bls.pdf

A note on CPR: You can many times do more harm than good if you do not know what you are doing here. Take a CPR course. You may save a life. I know I have.

Heat Stroke:

Treatment for Heat stroke. NEVER offer someone that's suffering from a mild case or sever case of heat stroke ice cold or even cold anything. Only give them body temp or ambient temp water. If you give them the cold water you run a HIGH RISK of putting someone into shock.

This is a suggested First Aid Kit from Ed, who has a lot of experience. He also teaches First Aid and survival course, among other thing. You can reach him at:

Farris Survival
3366 S. Broadway, Englewood CO 80113
1-303-781-0343 (local)
1-866-781-0343
1-303-781-1121 (fax)
http://www.fsurv.com/

Farris has First Aid kits and supplies, too.

I received a couple calls asking about med kits so I thought I would post to help a little. For those who don't know me I've been a government medic for a while plus I like to do a lot of cross country expedition traveling. This is OTC(over the counter)SUGGESTED contents for a first aid kit, plus the contents are multi use. Hopefully this helps.

SUPPLIES;
first aid manual(military and EMT Great)
hand sanitizer(water less,cheap,long lasting,small)
absorbent compressdressing(5x9)
adhesive bandages/band-aids(assorted sizes alot)
sterile gaugespads(2x2's,4x4's alot)
roll gauges various (1,2,3,4 in) pick acouple
elastic bandages(ACE wraps2-4)
trauma shears
adhesive bandages(ductape/100mph)
triangle bandages/safety pins
betadine(antiseptic)
alcohol swabs(check often they dry out fast)
emergency blankey(i only use All Weather Blanket by grabber performance group and hypothermia prevention system)
both hot packets 24hr only, and instant ice packet (carry extra 1 gallon zip-lock bags )
disopable gloves latex/non latex
flashlights w/ extra batteries headlight works best, chem lights are friendly
tweezers
finger splints aluminum w/ padding is best
SAM splints (2-4)
pencil/pad
emergency card w/ driver and passenger info always updated ,along w/ contact info of family member ,emergency info blood type,allergies,conditions
one way CPR mask
quick clot or similar
moleskin/blister pads
steri-stripsw/ tincture of benzion
MEDICATION;
antibioticointment(neosporin,triple antibiotic
burn ointment
aspirin
tylenol(acetaminophen,paracetamol)
ibuprofen or naproxen
hydrocortisone cream (for bites,stings,itching rashes)
diphenhydramine(benadryl for allergic reactions/itching)
antacids
antidiarrheal med
sterile non-enzmatic saline contact solution (wound/eye irrigation)
electrolyte solution for dehydration
OTHER ITEMS TO CONSIDER
sterile gloves
sutures
IV KITS
albuterol inhaler
needles
high altitude med
glucometer
stethoscope and blood pressure cuff

DON'T FORGET TO KEEP YOUR KIT ORGANIZED AND USER FRIENDLY WHETHER LIGHT OR DARK ,LEARN AND PLAY W/ YOUR KIT SO YOU KNOW WHERE/WHAT IS IN IT
you can contact tbalcome,medic5150,brody, or myself for more info..

I do still teach classes on first aid kits and how to use, build