PDA

View Full Version : Monster Robert's Monster Bumper Build

1freaky1
March 31st, 2010, 08:51 AM
Pete & I were called upon by a previous member (Monsterburban) to build a new rear bumper for his out of this world recovery rig, I have to say as a side note this rig is a awesome kick in the pants to drive too. Any way Robert wanted something that would be super strong and look good, so our challenge was to build it from 1/4" plate with a rear winch mount with a basic idea of what he wanted in it, Pete and I took it from there and did some creative planning, designing, and building that should meet all Robert's request and surpass a few of them too! Zach also came by to get in some more time learning and experience building these so when time comes to build his rig he knows some of what goes into it, which he now has a Dana 44 for the front of his ranger.
Here are some of the build pics;

Smash
March 31st, 2010, 08:53 AM
Been waiting to see pics of that thing. It's a MONSTER!!

RockyMtnHigh
March 31st, 2010, 08:56 AM
It's a MONSTER!!

No kidding, it almost dwarfs Pete's rig!

Mporter
March 31st, 2010, 09:00 AM
It's even more impressive in person. I had the chance to talk to Robert on Sunday when me and Pete were tweaking my bumper/installing my winch.

Looks good guys, keep the pics rollin'

Aaron
March 31st, 2010, 09:02 AM
No kidding, it almost dwarfs Pete's rig!

It definitely dwarfs Pete!

RockyMtnHigh
March 31st, 2010, 09:06 AM
It definitely dwarfs Pete!

You're right, was trying to avoid giving Pete a complex, so many other things are shrinking at his age didn't want it to be his rig too! :lol:

1freaky1
March 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM
Funny thing is Pete's truck dwarfs mine and Roberts makes mine look like a toy, LOL.

1freaky1
March 31st, 2010, 09:14 AM
A few more

1freaky1
March 31st, 2010, 09:15 AM

Haku
March 31st, 2010, 11:05 AM
Is that the rig of the person formerly known as MonsterSuburban ? Cool rig if it is, and it sucks he left. Any luck talking him back onto the forum? Sweet bumper too. Good to see Zatticus getting his hands dirty too. Wish I had started doing this stuff when I was 17. It was always something I wanted to do, just hadn't gotten around to it till the last couple years. Who knows how good I would be now. Guess I'll just have to catch up.

JH

CR
March 31st, 2010, 12:14 PM
That thing looks sweet!
Good job again guys.

Smash
March 31st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Man can't wait til I have some more $ to have you guys make me a rear bumper!!

WINKY
March 31st, 2010, 01:50 PM
Is that the rig of the person formerly known as MonsterSuburban ? Cool rig if it is, and it sucks he left. Any luck talking him back onto the forum? Sweet bumper too. Good to see Zatticus getting his hands dirty too. Wish I had started doing this stuff when I was 17. It was always something I wanted to do, just hadn't gotten around to it till the last couple years. Who knows how good I would be now. Guess I'll just have to catch up.

JH

x1000 bring him back

Brody
March 31st, 2010, 03:52 PM

JH

Yeah, me too Josh. Did some welding on the farm growing up, then nothing more until around 1982.

Yes, to answer your question on Monsterburban. I already invited him back on and explained that what he got was not the norm. Also sent a warning message to the people responsible...like 'last chance, let's don't pull this crapola again with anyone here or bye bye...'

And Zach is now the proud owner of a Dana 44 front axle to go under his Ranger! Way to go Zach!

We did a little midnight oil burning on this one to get it done in a day as you can see from the pictures. Also the bumper is modular. The two sides and frame mounts are a single piece and the whole center section is a single piece. The winch mount is actually mounted to the 10k receiver and the whole winch section can be removed as a single unit.

Brody
March 31st, 2010, 03:58 PM
You're right, was trying to avoid giving Pete a complex, so many other things are shrinking at his age didn't want it to be his rig too! :lol:

I told LaDawn about talking about stuff like that! Damn....and me being sooooooooo sensitive, too....You have no heart, Jock...none...

Brody
March 31st, 2010, 04:04 PM
So how is this: I proposed to Robert that he, Ed(southpaw3), Bill (tonkatoy) and Ash and Karla take all their built up burbs through Old Chinaman's Gulch...You know...kinda just for grins. Biggest rigs to ever go through that trail...I am going to talk to Bill and Ed (both of whom have run almost all the hard trails in Moab, including 'buggy' trails, and Ash and Karla.

Me...hell, I want to go to get pictures...especially of the faces of people on the trail....

Mporter
March 31st, 2010, 04:34 PM
Looks good guys

mmmm plasma cutter, love those things.

Hypoid
March 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Gawd I love having a straight back as I work! :D

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11101&d=1270048481

Mikey likey...

Mporter
March 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Pete was talking about that too haha. And I quote "It's nice to work on a bumper without having to kneel down to do so."

WINKY
March 31st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, to answer your question on Monsterburban. I already invited him back on and explained that what he got was not the norm. Also sent a warning message to the people responsible...like 'last chance, let's don't pull this crapola again with anyone here or bye bye...'.

id let them move on. they had enough chances.:mad:

Brody
March 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM
id let them move on. they had enough chances.:mad:

Thought about just doing a deletion, but decided to be a nice guy for a change...Gotta say it was my first thought, though. That **** don't fly with me...

RockyMtnHigh
April 1st, 2010, 01:21 AM
I told LaDawn about talking about stuff like that! Damn....and me being sooooooooo sensitive, too....You have no heart, Jock...none...

Bah sensitivity isn't in your vocabulary! I am surprised you even knew how to spell it, what did you do Google "feelings" or something? :lol:

Kidding aside, nice job on the bumper you two and Zach!