PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma rear springs?

Patrolman
December 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM
My 96 Tacoma has a broken leaf. 1/2 of it is now missing and the leaf is reversing the arch a bit now. Anyone know what years Tacoma I can pull another set of springs from?

Popsgarage
December 10th, 2011, 08:22 PM
This is all I've managed to find.

http://www.stengelbros.com/ToyotaLeafSprings.htm

95tacoma
December 11th, 2011, 02:25 AM
skip getting toyota replacement springs for tacoma's I did it and I broke the drivers side leaf after a year, with no lift and moderate wheeling....... I would look into other options personally, i have had custom springs for three years now and have had zero issues......or you can do the chevy 63" spring swap I have heard alot of people who love this setup

Brody
December 11th, 2011, 04:20 AM
TG, Marlin or All Pro all offer replacement leaf packs, so if you go to their websites, you can get a pretty good idea of what years the spring packs work on for a replacement stock pack.

Is it the main leaf or a secondary minus the wrap. I have some 2.5" stray leafs that may work for you kicking around here, mainly from the leaf pack from the rear of my 94.

Patrolman
December 11th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Luckily it isn't the main leaf that broke. It is the next leaf down. If you run across those leaves Pete, I may take them off your hands. Good news is that I can make a custom set of leafs if needed. Looks like all the Toyotas have the same width.

I would be happy to buy replacement springs, but I don't really want to lift the truck. Need stock height or within an inch or so. It is more just a DD than an offroad truck.

RidgeRunner
December 11th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Don't know if they are the same but I have a friend that has a pair off of an '04 double cab that he replaced with All-Pro springs. I'll see if he'll let them go.

Patrolman
December 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
That would be awesome! I think they 96-05 were the same springs. Just need something to get me back on the road for now.

Brody
December 11th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I'll dig out the spring I have and get a measurement or two and post it. If I have something you can use and you just want to replace a single leaf, you are more than welcome to it.

Back inna few...

Patrolman
December 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks Brody. I have mixed/matched springs before. Not rocket science.

Brody
December 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Jeff

I have two that aren't matched sets.

From the main leaf, outside to outside measurements (outside of eye to outside of eye) and the center pin hole measured from outside of eye to center+-:

1: 45 1/2" with the pin hole @ 25 1/2"

2: 46 1/4" with the pin hole @ 23"

The later is part of a leaf pack with a leaf broken.

If any of this works for you, just come by. I have these sitting out in the back yard and it won't take much to get rid of the pin on the pack if you just need one leaf. I am going to be busy either in the garage or 2 houses down putting in some porch steps. My phone is jacked....

Address:

6139 Reed Way
Arvada 80003

LaDawn is at the house all day and we are having a Christmas HOA (sounds fun, huh?) party 3-5.

Patrolman
December 11th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Brody,

I won't have time to stop by today. Let me take some measurements on this broken spring and of the length of the packs and see if these might fit. Nothing like having to work on the snowy/cold driveway. Sure you know the feeling too.

-Jeff

Brody
December 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM
LaDawn said that she could drop them off to you tomorrow after her Swedish gig if that works better.

Yeah, I do know how that works. The steps I am doing are in the back of the house where the sun seldom shines. It isn't shining now, and I came inside to add a pair of socks and to stick my gloves in the dryer to warm them up.

Let me know. Happy to help if I can.

Patrolman
December 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah, if LaDawn doesn't mind bringing them by. I will obviously be at work. She can either leave them along the driveway next to the house or on the front porch. It isn't a priority, will just drive the car instead. Guess the truck sits for a week. Thanks again Pete!

Brody
December 11th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'll load her up with the stuff and you will get it tomorrow. Hope they work for ya!

Patrolman
December 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Do you need back whatever I don't use? Thanks again Pete!

Brody
December 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Not if you can find a use for them. I have two+ extra leaves and two spring packs left from an 84 front.

Patrolman
December 12th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks Pete for the springs. Will let you know how they measure out.

Patrolman
December 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Pete, the springs you sent aren't the right size. Finally got a chance to measure things out today. Still looking for something.

95tacoma
December 17th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I have both sides from my tacoma, the drivers side main leaf is broke but the passenger side none are broken.....if these would work for you let me know

Popsgarage
December 17th, 2011, 06:39 PM
two spring packs left from an 84 front.

What're ya doin' with the fronts, Pete? I have a friend that might be interested.

Patrolman
December 17th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I have both sides from my tacoma, the drivers side main leaf is broke but the passenger side none are broken.....if these would work for you let me know

PM sent.

Brody
December 18th, 2011, 06:23 AM
What're ya doin' with the fronts, Pete? I have a friend that might be interested.

Hanging onto them in case I break springs.....Sorry...

Popsgarage
December 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM
No problem, If you run across a set, let me know.

Patrolman
December 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
95 Tacoma (AJ) set me up with a set of old springs. Should be able to take what is there and put something together to get back on the road. Thanks again!

Popsgarage
December 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Glad it worked out for ya, Jeff.

Patrolman
December 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Not quite yet. Read the post on the impact gun. :(

Popsgarage
December 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Gotcha!!! Never had that happen before, not with u-bolts. Weird.