PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Sand Blast Cabinets: How To

Brody
December 3rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
Looking for the make of the sand blast cabinet that Jeff posted, I stumbled across this post (as well as quite a few other, simply Google the title). Since this has come up numerous times (ie: I need a sand blast cabinet) I decided to post this. Certainly isn't rocket science and would work just fine for most of the small parts that need blasting. I used to do this for a living, but that was with a huge blast room and/or outside blast area and on commercial job sites. I would love to have the space to set up something cheap like this.

As a addition to what this guy posted in regard to making the glass replaceable, consider using a roll of sheet clear sheet plastic under the glass so the you can simply move a new piece of plastic under the glass when the plastic gets pitted.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143854

Java
December 3rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
that is really nice! I was expecting a POS but it looks awesome. you going to make one?

Brody
December 3rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
Alas, I have no room..

The way this guy made his looks like some of the smaller commercial ones that are also built around a 55 gallon container....and that cost around $500++. I thought it was quite creative. I have used very few small cabinets as almost all of the blast work I have done has been on semi trucks, earth equipment, bridges, tombstones, cars and buildings. I sure would find one handy as hell...

scout man
December 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
hmm, i have a few spare 55 gallon drums out in the barn. I might have to try this when I have some time on my hands... which doesnt sound likely unfortunately.

Brody
December 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
I was giving that some thought and almost all of that stuff is a trip to Depo or Lowe's. You can take the large plumbing trap fittings and do the basic sleeves for the gloves although you might have some entertainment with the radius, but that can be sorted out. In fact, you may not even need to radius them, just seal them well. Or you can cut the flange off, heat it and form it into the shape of the drum, then simply cement a short piece of pipe into the cut down flange.

A lot of stuff connected to that particular link, all along the same lines. i would be curious as to what people come up with. This sounds like something that Hypoid could wizard up really quickly.

Popsgarage
December 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Good post, this one is, Pete. Much nicer than I was expecting, as well.

Brody
December 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Good post, this one is, Pete. Much nicer than I was expecting, as well.

Hmmmmm....now that sounds like the way LaDawn says stuff to me-where I can pretty much make of it what I want...

Are my other posts bad? Hmmmmmmm

Are my other posts not nice? Hmmmmmmm

Should I be nicer in my other posts? Hmmmmmm

I thought it was pretty decent, too.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Popsgarage
December 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
No, no, no. Just meant that this guy did a much nicer job than most. And there's some other good stuff on that site. Good enough to bookmark it.

Brody
December 4th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Heck, I was giving YOU grief.....:lmao:

Popsgarage
December 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I know. Just wanted to see YOUR reply.:D Most of these type of posts are usually just kind of hack jobs. This guy did a really nice job. Now I'm gonna have to see if I can do as nice a job.