PDA

View Full Version : Idle/running/driving problem with a 2000 Jeep XJ

Popsgarage
November 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
My friend ha a 2000 Jeep XJ and just yesterday he started having some drivability issues with it. When he started it up yesterday morning it ran fine for about a block and it started missing and stumbling and then died. He restarted it and it ran fine for about 10 minutes and then the whole process repeated. He restarted it again and it ran fine all the way to work. After work it started and ran fine for about 10 minutes and the problems repeated again. Everything I've researched points to either a Crank Sensor, TPS, Coolant Temp Sensor, or possibly a cracked coil, which the 2000's were prone to do. I remember seeing something posted about it on here, but can't find it. Any thoughts.

Popsgarage
November 15th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Nevermind, I found the post. Good info once again, Pete.

Brody
November 16th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Hope that works for you, Jonathan!

And also hope that it is a simple and easily tested fix like the CPS.

I had 40-70 pages of crap I had downloaded when I was having problems and was going through all that to try to find out what my issue was...Jeep issue.... :D Service manual was pretty much bunk when it can to trouble shooting.

Popsgarage
November 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
That's exactly what it was. After 2 to 3 hours of swearing and telling his Jeep he was going to light it on fire, he got it done. I guess he only had room for one of his hands under, behind and in between the intake and trans tunnel. Says it runs like a champ again.

Brody
November 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Two bolts and one of those 'mystery wire connections' that you can't see to figure out if you have to press or pry some stupid little tab. One hand, yes. 1/4-1/2 turn per crank, yes...starts getting a bit easier when the sharp junk that makes the tight fit gets lubed up with the red stuff...

Popsgarage
November 17th, 2011, 08:49 PM
That's almost exactly what he said.:lmao::lmao: