PDA

View Full Version : Novak SK2X Shifter Kit:Here's how the story goes.

Popsgarage
November 13th, 2011, 03:04 AM
About 6 months ago a friend of mine sold her '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 V8 because the 249J t-case was starting to make a bit of a racket. I told her to tell whomever she sold it to to give me a call, and I'd give 'em a good deal on installing a used 242. That's how I met Dave Kinchen. Long story short and a rebuilt 242 later, the factory linkage was leaving a lot to be desired. Along comes Novak Conversions SK2X shifter kit. Well, Dave gave me a call the other day, so I told him to bring it on over. And here's how the story goes.

It all starts with shiny new parts.
Replacing the ugly on the right with the beauty on the left.
First we gotta get it all out.
Then we gotta bolt up the new mounting bracket.
Next comes the shifter assembly.
Then the shifter linkage.
And now we gotta bend the mockup rod to fit the factory hole in the floor and the factory bezel.
Time to fire up the torch I got from Kyle after filling up the bottle at Buckeye Welding Supply with Sean today.
A couple of red-hot bends later and it looks like the mock-up rod.

Popsgarage
November 13th, 2011, 03:30 AM
1. So we give it a test fit and it needs one more little jog bend.
2. Shifter linkage all adjusted and tested for throw, action and bind.
3. 2 coats of self etching primer.
4. 2 coats of gloss black.
5. And in the daylight hours we'll cut up the factory shifter cup to sandwich a piece of this 1" foam to keep water and noise out of the cabin.

Cr33p3r
November 13th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Good to see you got it done Jon, bends look good too. THat kit looks like a nice kit to use. 1 thing to keep in mind with the that armorflex foam will absorb water from the cut edges(sides), it is great at stopping asobration from the top or bottom sides though.

Brody
November 13th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Nice! Thanks for the write up!

EldoradoFJ60
November 13th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Looks good man.

I need to find some sort of foam to insulate my rig before it gets too cold.

mattzj98
November 13th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I have that very same Novak shifter in my zj! Love it. Wish I could see it on someone elses before I gave up on working on mine and gave it to HCP4x4 lol but they did good too

Popsgarage
November 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM
They sure do shift nice. Good heads up on the foam, Sean. I might run down to Home Depot or Lowes and see if they have just some roofing rubber.

mattzj98
November 13th, 2011, 09:11 AM
and as far as knobs go, most I found didn't fit. I tried High Country, 4wp, on track, auto parts stores.. finally CodeXJ gave me his stock tranny shifter knob and it fit perfect! (from an XJ)

Brody
November 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hey Jonathan

I have some left over Gracie ***** o thane and Gracie window wrap you can have. We are going to look at a couple of possible shops right now, but will be back 10:30 at the latest. I will be working here the rest of the day, except for a brief trip around 12:00 to Lowes, so just stop by. Save you a few bucks...

6139 Reed Way

Wadsworth to 62nd east to Reed Way/Cottonwood Ridge. Go right at the Cottonwood Ridge sign and follow it east, then south. We are the 3rd house on the right across from the dirt mound. The black heap is in the front.

Popsgarage
November 13th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Sounds good, Pete. Just found your address in an old PM. Will most likely just show up. Will try to call first.

glacierpaul
November 14th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Too cool Jonathan! Nice work!

Popsgarage
November 14th, 2011, 09:30 PM
And last but not least, the finishing touches.

1. Clean metal around hole in the floor with some Mar Hyde paint prep and cover with the peel and stick I got from Pete. Thanks again and nice to meetcha.
2. Install the cut down factory lever cup to hold down the peel and stick.
3. Permanently install and adjust the freshly painted shift lever.
4. Stuff 2 pieces of the 1" foam around the new lever for sound deadening.
5. Re-install the center console.
6. Take it for a test drive.
7. It got pretty bound up in between 4 hi part time and neutral during the test drive, so.......
8. Make some final adjustments.

It's the 5.2 V8 with the auto overdrive an it was the longest engine/trans combo Chrysler put in the YJ. It sits about 3" further to the rear than most 4.0 combos, believe it or not. Mostly due to the auto that it came with. The floorboard hole stayed in the same place over the years, so the shift pivot was mounted as far forward and high on the bracket as it would go so it would clear the front and rear of the shift gate on the console and stay out of reach of the double cardan on the t-case end of the front driveshaft. Might be one or two more adjustment sessions, but it is more or less complete. Needs a shift nob and bezel, since the lever hit it after the final adjustments. Anybody have a piece of 1/4" aluminum about 4" x 8". I'm going to hand form one for Dave. And it's still far better than the factory z-rod assembly.

Brody
November 15th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Can you use some tool box diamond plate aluminum? May be too lightweight. Let me know as I have some various bits and pieces.

mattzj98
November 15th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Hey I need something like that done to my jeep eventually when I get some money cause its loud and hot through center console...

glacierpaul
November 15th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Really nice Jonathan!!

Cr33p3r
November 15th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Jon let me look at what I have left in the aluminum stack and I'll text you sometime today, I will be in and out seeing my cousin that have not seen in 30+ years and taking her to DIA this afternoon.

Popsgarage
November 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Pete, that just might work. Matt, just let me know when. I actually found my ice and water shield and I have a 3' x 3' chunk of the 1" foam left. Sean, let me know what you've got. And thanks everybody.:thumb:

Popsgarage
November 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Matt , is yours the 5.2 V8 with the OD trans? I'd like to take a look at it some time.

mattzj98
November 15th, 2011, 10:58 PM
it is V8, it does have an overdrive button but its a V8 on crack lol

Popsgarage
November 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Will want to look at yours one of these days. A visual comparison is always a good thing.

Brody
November 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Matt seems to partly adopted by Heather and Chris so he is in this neck of the woods a lot...:D

Popsgarage
November 17th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Good deal. That makes it easier for me anyway.:lmao:

mattzj98
November 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Matt seems to partly adopted by Heather and Chris so he is in this neck of the woods a lot...:D

What can I say.. there I people I love being around, and those I hate being around. SO, I try going up in your area as much as I can haha:GroupHug:

mattzj98
November 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Good deal. That makes it easier for me anyway.:lmao:

I'll probably be by Pete's next friday if all goes well so Ill let you know

Popsgarage
November 18th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Sounds good, Matt. PM or call me. 303-968-7156