PDA

View Full Version : Idle speed question

EldoradoFJ60
September 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Last night DanS HJ-45 from Ih8mud stopped over with his BJ40. We looked over each others rigs and I drooled over his 3B engine and it's spaghetti free surroundings. Not to mention the beautifully done restoration of the rig.

We ran my engine a bit and he said it sounded as if one of my valves was out of spec. A valve clearance adjustment is on the list.

I got to thinking about my idle issues.

I start the rig the same way each morning. Couple pumps of gas and full choke. Fires right up and when I kill the choke idle is right at 650. After any length of driving idle won't go below 900-1000. I brought the RPM's up to 1000 with the hand throttle for a bit last night and the idle went down to 800-850 or so.

So basically after any sort of driving the idle will not return to 650 where it should be. Any ideas?

Brody
September 11th, 2011, 10:37 AM
You may want to clean both the throttle body and the idle air intake. There are good links in the Toyota Tech section discussing exactly how to do that. You won't have any problem. It is a bit time consuming, but not brain surgery.

If that doesn't solve the problem, it could be that the temperature sensor is going out, but I would start with the TB and IAC first. Cheaper, too.

Hypoid
September 11th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Without knowing anything about Toyotas, or looking at your carb, it sounds like you need to adjust the idle stop with the choke open and the engine at operating temperature.

BUT

Adjust the valves before you do anything with the carb.

Brody
September 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I completely forgot whether yours is carbed or EFI. I had just looked at an EFI'd 62, so it was on my brain. Don't have an IAC or TB with a carb....HOHO....

EldoradoFJ60
September 15th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Well the valves need to be checked out. Seems like a good place to start for figuring out my engine gremlins. I'm also eager to see what it looks like in there and get the valve cover painted. new paint makes an engine run better.