PDA

View Full Version : Moab April 7-14, 2012

Brad
August 16th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I know this is really early but I just got Neils school schedule and am seriously considering going again next year. Have to double check EJS but am thinking of staying in the PUP boondocked somewhere that can accommodate ALOT of people. No need to commit obviously, just show interest.

Rob
August 16th, 2011, 11:22 PM
You probably already knew I'd be interested. :)

mattzj98
August 17th, 2011, 12:03 AM
ill start saving up!! needs multiple gas tanks unless trailer and a duramax again:thumb:

Chris
August 17th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Add me to this too!

Brad
August 17th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Great to see interest this early! Of course I must mention. His spring break might not mesh with the public schools as he goes to catholic school. This was a bit of a issue last year.

Java
August 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
YES!!!!! :thumb:

ColoJeeper
August 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Definitely interested...

Brad
August 17th, 2011, 11:20 AM
No idea where there is enough room to camp with a ton of room other then BFE like last year

This may be the answer again depending on EJS. It is pretty nice camping out there.

Brad
August 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM
As of right now EJS is March 29-April 8. This will throw a curve ball in my plans on being there on the 7th. Perhaps switch it to the 9th right after EJS?
Anyone wanting to hit up EJS can join us after if they like. Here is the link:

http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?id=16382

Mr6dwg
August 17th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I wanna go too.

Brad
August 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM
We basically had 2 groups last year. Did a variety of different trails depending on who wanted to go where and when they were arriving or leaving.
I did the following trails in this order:
Schafer Trail
Top of the World
Fins & Things
Elephant hill
Tower Arch

I had a great time! I am hoping to have some armor by brody fabworks and a lift installed before I go on this so I can do some of the other big trails.
Other people are always welcome. As for finding a large campground if we get too many we may end up at Area BFE as there is ALOT of space there
and they accept donations in exchange for the land use. Plus you get to stay at a 4 wheeling play area. I am going to say up front I am not paying
for the porta potty, I basically paid 3/4 of the expense of this from last year. ;)

ColoJeeper
August 17th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Planned right, and with a minimum of problems and breakage. It is relatively easy to do two trails a day, or a combination that includes several trails. A good example is the Poison Spider Mesa/Golden Spike/Goldbar Rim combination.

Brad
August 17th, 2011, 02:14 PM
whats it cost?

That is a very broad scope question. Cost of what?

Brad
August 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM
It was around $127 I believe. I am not trying to get more money. Just stating I am not paying for it up front this time. Someone elses turn. That and I am buying my own from Chris on Monday.

Dirt Claude
August 17th, 2011, 03:39 PM
You know I'm down for another Moab trip too!

Brad
August 17th, 2011, 05:45 PM
You ave to have one on BLM land.

Brody
August 19th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I am going to say up front I am not paying
for the porta potty, I basically paid 3/4 of the expense of this from last year.

This happens 2-3 times every year.

If there is something like a group buy, or, in this case, a Porta Potty rental, get all the money UP FRONT from everyone who is going BEFORE you initiate the group buy or rental. This has happened over and over, whether it is stickers, hats or something else, where people commit to something that involves a purchase or money to be paid, one person then pays for it, and when the time comes for reimbursement, the money seems to vanish.

Just as a for instance: This happened with the hats that Chris ordered and paid for a number of years ago. Chris got orders from everyone who wanted hats, what color, what size, etc. He spent a fair amount of money out of his own pocket for them, and still had hats left this year because people never picked them up nor paid for them. Nice. Leaves a real good feeling, too. That was almost 3 years ago.

There have been way too many incidences where the original person who spent his money never got reimbursed and simply got left holding the bag...a pretty shitty thing to have happen...and a pretty shitty thing to do to someone else, whether they are on this forum or in day to day business.

So whether it is parts from someone, or rentals, or anything else involving a monetary transaction, step up to the plate, pay the money up front, and don't leave someone else holding the bag with lame promises of repayment. It is, like I have said, a shitty thing to do.

scout man
August 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I'm with Josh on this Brad... I cant remember if I paid you or not, and if not I really appologize, and will gladly pay up!

I am in on this pending some obvious repair issues. I will get the scout fixed up sooner this year, and make sure I have several really strong testing runs on it or I wont go. No more breaking this year!!

Brad
August 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
If it really bothered me or I kept a record of who paid or not I might bring it up. Honestly I did not really care at the time we were there or after so noone send me money.

As for the space, we might want to speak to Oleg again. If it is not viable then I will hunt down a area for us all to camp out, unless we want to pitch in on a house rental or hotel it. I bought the camper for this kind of trip however so I am more than willing to do the leg work to find a group site. This time all of us in one area instead of seperated into a vast area. Group means group, not tents over here and RV's over there. ;)

Java
August 19th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I'm totally into Moab (post it!!), but I'll probably be staying at the kokopelli inntowner instead of camping. it's nothing fancy by any stretch, but you can walk to the "strip", the rooms are big, full kitchen, it's reasonable and uber-pet friendly and there is a big dirt lot next to it for parking almost anything. I love camping, but Colorado trail dust turns to mud when you sweat, Moab dust turns to glue, a shower is key. wish I had a pop-up...

Mr6dwg
August 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
That is a great time of the year, cool at night and perfect during the day. I would like to be in on the Moab party. I have a popup camper that needs to be used.

Jackie
August 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'll be watching this thread. We like to stay at the AArchway Inn just down the street from Arches. Not a uber-resort, but has everything we want. One time when we were camping out there, we approached the front desk staff and asked if we could use their pool (and we promised to behave). They agreed - we tipped them generously and enjoyed a nice afternoon in the pool followed by a shower and clean towels to dry off with. The best!

Gossamer
August 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Im ready :smokin:

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Does anyone trailer their rig?? Don't wanna be the only weirdo

Rob
August 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Does anyone trailer their rig??

Got room on that trailer for an FJ40? :lmao:

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Rob, your FJ might fit on the bed but im not sure about the trailer.. wish i had a bigger one avaliable but the bigger one is closed off and my jeep is def. not fitting in it. its meant for tiny 2 door cars haha

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
im just thinking it will be a lot cheaper to trailer and always have backup in case I break my s**t which is likely or if anyone else breaks down. also, would be able to have a lot more tools!

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Im a strong maybe if i am not stuck in BFE wyoming again!

Rob
August 24th, 2011, 10:10 PM
wish i had a bigger one avaliable

No problem. It's a comfortable ride to Moab in the FJC. I just want to wheel the 40 there one of these days.

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
lol idk if it's neccessery to make it big to get a trailer. I bet Brody can build one :thumb:

Rob, I wanna see your FJC. never seen it before.

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
well then.. sue wallmart or something.. :P

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM
call me if you need some support. but i'll only go as far as the parking lot.

Might try Target instead if that works better

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Finding or building a trailer isn't the problem. Something to pull the trailer with that is reliable and in my price range isn't really in the cards right now and I would need to have a really productive winter to afford it.
:mad:
x2

Rob
August 24th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Rob, I wanna see your FJC. never seen it before.

It mostly goes on trails too far away to take the 40, and I haven't done too many of those this year. The cleanup run might be the next one.

Scuf
August 24th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Don't know if this helps but I can tow trailer with my truck if need be never done it but I just don't have a trailer to test but if get a 4x4 by than I'll be looking for a trailer to carry my rig if I get a bigger trailer would people chip in.

GaryG
December 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thought I'd bump this. I've scheduled off Apr 11-15. Drive out Wed, back Sun, camp while we're there. Will pitch in for porta potty and anything else.

Java
December 28th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Cool Gary!! I've scheduled off for 4/7-15 and will for sure be there, possibly as early as the 8th. I want to do some canyoneering and hiking as well, but I really want to do Fins n things, Seven Mile Rim, Gemini Bridges / Bull Canyon, Tusher Tunnel and the Bartlett wash area, Kane Creek and some others I can't think of right now. My avatar is Long Canyon, I'll probably do that again, it was beautiful. See ya there!!!