PDA

View Full Version : Wife's key is hot

Rob
August 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think the wife is, too, but that's not the issue.

She just told me that her ignition key is hot after driving. I haven't looked at it yet, though my limited knowledge likely won't know what to look for. Her car is a 2004 RAV4 with only about 28,000 miles on it. She's the original owner.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the key to get hot?

Squshiee1
August 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
leaving it in the sun?!

Fordguy77
August 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
short in the ignition cause the key to become part of a circuit?

Rob
August 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM
short in the ignition cause the key to become part of a circuit?

Not a clue. I drove it around for about 15 minutes and the key was warm but not hot.

scout man
August 7th, 2011, 10:37 PM
that would be my best guess too... dont even know what to tell you, but either the key is becoming part of the circuit and overheating, or something near it is overheating/shorting and transfering heat to the key.

or its 90 degrees outside....

Rob
August 7th, 2011, 10:48 PM
or its 90 degrees outside....

:lmao: That's my guess, and the FJC gets the garage so her car is parked in the driveway. We'll see if it happens when it starts getting cold out. And I'll make sure she knows where in her car the fire extinguisher is, just in case. :erm:

RockyMtnHigh
August 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I just searched on Google for "hot ignition key" and it came back with quite a few results, threads on different boards. Verdicts ranged from the switch going bad, to corrosion build up causing too much resistance in the circuit.

Rob
August 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I just searched on Google for "hot ignition key" and it came back with quite a few results, threads on different boards. Verdicts ranged from the switch going bad, to corrosion build up causing too much resistance in the circuit.

Thanks, Jock. I was going to do that after I heard from the Front Range experts. I did to a brief google search but I included "RAV4" in it and didn't find anything. Might be time for a visit to a shop (I don't think Marty will trust me to try to figure it our, particularly if it's electrical).

scout man
August 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM
just take my approach Rob, bypass the ingition switch all together and use a switch and starter button... its 7 years old, thats old enough right?

DKDunn04
August 8th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Have you tried taking a multimeter to it to see if that gives you any answers? If it was making the key a part of the circuit there should be some volts going to it.

Brody
August 8th, 2011, 05:13 AM
short in the ignition causing the key to become part of a circuit?

My thought here, too. Maybe take it into O'rielly's and have them run a check on it. Might not show everything, but will show whether the battery is going out.

Rob
August 8th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Have you tried taking a multimeter to it to see if that gives you any answers? If it was making the key a part of the circuit there should be some volts going to it.

I haven't and not sure I know how. Which function would I use?

short in the ignition causing the key to become part of a circuit?

My thought here, too. Maybe take it into O'rielly's and have them run a check on it. Might not show everything, but will show whether the battery is going out.

Could a low battery be causing it? I know it's still the original battery. Seven years is a long time for a battery.

Haku
August 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
If there is current going through it, you'll see it on a multi-meter. Set it to DC voltage (the V with a line and dots under or next to it, not the ~ symbol) on the closest setting to 12v (probably 20). Then the red lead goes to the key and the black to anything that is grounded. Without tearing the dash apart and getting to a crossmember, I think the easiest to access ground spot would be the bolts that hold the seats down. If there is a significant amount voltage going through it, then I would imagine there is a problem.

I think what Brody was trying to imply was that if there is a short, then there is current going through the key then that will be a draw on the battery and will eventually drain it. Its not the battery being low that is the issue, but a symptom of a problem. If there is a problem, its probably as simple as replacing the ignition switch, but its hard to say.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if its just hot weather heating things up and then transferring the heat to the key though. It is amazing how long stuff will hold heat in a car.

Rob
August 8th, 2011, 10:14 PM
If there is current going through it, you'll see it on a multi-meter. Set it to DC voltage (the V with a line and dots under or next to it, not the ~ symbol) on the closest setting to 12v (probably 20). Then the red lead goes to the key and the black to anything that is grounded. Without tearing the dash apart and getting to a crossmember, I think the easiest to access ground spot would be the bolts that hold the seats down. If there is a significant amount voltage going through it, then I would imagine there is a problem.

Thank, Josh. I'll give that a try. Might as well check the battery while I'm at it.

Zukrider
August 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM
dont take this the wrong way, but your all wrong! haha

a key is ALWAYS a ground. the ignition is the easiest ground to use when hot checking under a dash. the key would never be a way to complete a circuit, because the moment you pull it out, it would shock you.

i doubt there is an issue, but keep an eye on it. remember that your hot feel is quite different than hers. being an 04, im sure it has a transponder chip for anti-theft, that system is a magnetic field type, that builds its own form of heat. should be normal, and with the description you gave of the wife at Bruce's house, id figure any little thing would trip her up.

Rob
August 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM
with the description you gave of the wife at Bruce's house, id figure any little thing would trip her up.

:lmao: That would be her. Let's just say she's super-sensitive.

Fordguy77
August 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM
dont take this the wrong way, but your all wrong! haha

a key is ALWAYS a ground. the ignition is the easiest ground to use when hot checking under a dash. the key would never be a way to complete a circuit, because the moment you pull it out, it would shock you.

i doubt there is an issue, but keep an eye on it. remember that your hot feel is quite different than hers. being an 04, im sure it has a transponder chip for anti-theft, that system is a magnetic field type, that builds its own form of heat. should be normal, and with the description you gave of the wife at Bruce's house, id figure any little thing would trip her up.
I agree to disagree, because i am aware of vehicles with ignitions where the electrical components are completely isolated from the key through plastic and non conductive housings, and the keys only function is to unlock a tumbler. Even in your own words you say that a key would never be part of a circuit so it wouldn't even be considered a ground, the idea behind what i said was that a circuit shorted in the ignition and induced the key into part of the circuit, and almost all keys have some form of plastic or insulator on the end, which would protect you from becoming a part of the circuit, granted this is no different than shorting a AA battery with a paper clip than touching the clip, you experience heat, and no shock....

Andrew
August 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Yeah I bet part of it is the metal pieces in the ignition becoming hot with the temps, then when the cooler key is inserted, the heat is transferred, like a heatsink.

Zukrider
August 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I agree to disagree, because i am aware of vehicles with ignitions where the electrical components are completely isolated from the key through plastic and non conductive housings, and the keys only function is to unlock a tumbler.

yes, there isolated, but all ignition switches are metal, they all attach to the column, which is metal, and therefore are attached to ground. there is no electrical "connection" to the ign switch itself. it mechanically engages a plastic housing that does all the electrical connection/switching.

agree with andrew, its just hot cause its hot outside. its possible that the proximity is creating heat, though i doubt it.

Fordguy77
August 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
It was only a theory behind the idea of the key being hot, i had assumed that the 90 degree plus days we have been having had already ruled out.