PDA

View Full Version : Stockers Without Lockers 2011

SCRubicon
July 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
It has been a while since I've organized a run, so I'm kicking around the idea of taking Stockers Without Lockers back this year. The first one ever was Kingston Peak + Loch Lomond. (very stock friendly) The idea was to take the stock DD rigs out for a non technical day in the mountains. I'm thinking something like Pickle Gulch with a lunch stop in the meadow, or the Argentine Pass/McClellan Mountain area and do some rock hounding. Open to all rigs/members to participate, but definitely geared towards the stock rigs. End of July first week of August. Thoughts on the date???

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/KP/DSCN3687.jpg

Patrolman
July 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM
This is always a good idea, whether we end up participating or not. Thanks for kicking it off!

Chris
July 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Good idea Steve, I'm in if I'm in town! :thumb:

Haku
July 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I know the Toyota Jamboree is the last weekend of July, so you may not get many of the Toyota guys. Not sure how many are planning on going.

For me, I was thinking about using my stock sized street tires hat I bought for driving to Moab and no front locker for this years to make it more fun and fair. Lets just not have a repeat of the Red Cone incident this time. If there are steep hills we need to go up, I think a mandatory low range transfercase is required.

I've seen a few of the more hardcore groups do a "buggies with rollers" trip too. Essentially using whatever old set of small tires on a fully built buggy and an easier trail. Sounds kinda fun and we could combine them with this trip for the more built rigs.

SCRubicon
July 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM
What was the Red Cone incident? I didn't make it to that one.

Haku
July 4th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Well, we decided the 2009 Stocker's No Lockers should be on Red Cone. Rolands co-driver at the time decided to bring his wife's Jeep Liberty. It didn't have a low range transfer case, not much ground clearance, and an automatic transmission. It struggled even on the small stuff, the tranny was overheating all day, and he did a decent amount of undercarriage scraping. It would get about 40 feet at a time before we had to stop and let it cool down for 10 minutes (auto trannies don't work when they overheat). He still made it through, but had to get dragged up the steeper hills. Can't imagine his wife was overjoyed to see the condition of her little Jeep when he got home.

I think they learned the lesson last year and did something completely stocker friendly rather then stocker capable. I couldn't go because my truck was down with a dead engine being rebuilt, but that is what I remember.

Mesomelas
July 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I would be interested, no plans to do the Toyota thing myself. Are you talking about Kingston Peak from the Rollinsville side, or up from Alice? I much prefer the Rollinsville --> Mammoth Gulch road way up, much more fun and I have done it in stock trucks (with good tires). I am pretty sure I have made it up that big hill from the James Peak Lake trailhead in 2wd.

jdawg33
July 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Last year we did bill Moore lake I think in late august. So acrun around that time would be good I think...I'll look into some trail suggestions too. Then we empire loop later in the day for those that wanted to stay around.

Brad
July 4th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I have a score to settle with bill Moore.

As long as I am not working I am down for whatever.

Jackie
July 4th, 2011, 04:56 PM
We'll be up at Grand Lake the last week of July, but depending on the date, if I can swing it, I will go. I like Pickle Gulch. It's not hard or threatening and I've really enjoyed it the couple times I've run it. Definately a good one for stockers or newbies that want to learn their abilities/likes/dislikes etc.

Pathrat
July 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I like your idea Steve, and you know I have since the inception. I think your suggestions of Pickle Gulch or Argentine is good ideas for stockers and for not so stock rigs looking for something fun, easy and scenic. If you want to do Argentine, I think it would work out better if we do this run in August. I want to be in on this run.

Heather
July 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Yes, please!

Rob
July 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have a score to settle with bill Moore

:lmao: As I recall, Bill Moore didn't defeat you. You defeated you. ;)

MelloYello
July 4th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Sounds fun.

SCRubicon
July 4th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Well, we decided the 2009 Stocker's No Lockers should be on Red Cone. Rolands co-driver at the time decided to bring his wife's Jeep Liberty. It didn't have a low range transfer case, not much ground clearance, and an automatic transmission. It struggled even on the small stuff, the tranny was overheating all day, and he did a decent amount of undercarriage scraping. It would get about 40 feet at a time before we had to stop and let it cool down for 10 minutes (auto trannies don't work when they overheat). He still made it through, but had to get dragged up the steeper hills. Can't imagine his wife was overjoyed to see the condition of her little Jeep when he got home.

I think they learned the lesson last year and did something completely stocker friendly rather then stocker capable. I couldn't go because my truck was down with a dead engine being rebuilt, but that is what I remember.

Oh wow, I'm surprised nobody spoke up at the trail head. This run will definitely have a minimum vehicle requirement outlined before the trip, but it will be the most minimal of requirements. I want to go with something (trail wise) that everyone participating will feel comfortable with doing. Very little spotting required, but not just a dirt road either. Throw in a couple of side activities too. Also no cap on vehicle modifications. It would be great to think of the run as a, "nice to meet you" opportunity for some of the newer members. (and a, "how have you been" get together for the longer members)

SCRubicon
July 4th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I like your idea Steve, and you know I have since the inception. I think your suggestions of Pickle Gulch or Argentine is good ideas for stockers and for not so stock rigs looking for something fun, easy and scenic. If you want to do Argentine, I think it would work out better if we do this run in August. I want to be in on this run.

I'm kind of leaning towards Argentine/McClellan because of the nice trail network up there and I know some decent tailing piles to dig in for minerals. Good flat spot for a group to stop for lunch at the Waldorf mine. Plus, small groups can take turns going up to the top of the pass to look over towards Peru Creek.

EldoradoFJ60
July 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I would be interested, no plans to do the Toyota thing myself. Are you talking about Kingston Peak from the Rollinsville side, or up from Alice? I much prefer the Rollinsville --> Mammoth Gulch road way up, much more fun and I have done it in stock trucks (with good tires). I am pretty sure I have made it up that big hill from the James Peak Lake trailhead in 2wd.

I was up that way this weekend. I couldn't believe how many people brought passenger cars up Mammoth Gulch. The best was a Honda accord that had a donut tire on the passenger front side.

SCRubicon
July 4th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I see cars on Mammoth all the time, but never down by the old reservoir. A lot of Subies rally up to the intersect with Kingston Peak.

Robert B
July 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM
i vote for red cone :)

Mporter
July 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'll be watching this. And I'll let ya guys know if I can make it. It's not stock, and it's locked, but I'm always down for a easy trail.

Beefy
July 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I really want to join everyone on these runs, just waiting to get a rig. Hope to meet a bunch of you soon if this deal ever goes through or I can find something else.

Haku
July 4th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Oh wow, I'm surprised nobody spoke up at the trail head. This run will definitely have a minimum vehicle requirement outlined before the trip, but it will be the most minimal of requirements. I want to go with something (trail wise) that everyone participating will feel comfortable with doing. Very little spotting required, but not just a dirt road either. Throw in a couple of side activities too. Also no cap on vehicle modifications. It would be great to think of the run as a, "nice to meet you" opportunity for some of the newer members. (and a, "how have you been" get together for the longer members)

We DEFINITELY said something at the trailhead. I certainly said that he was going to have a hard time, but wasn't about to stop him from trying if he wanted to. I said multiple times during the trail that it might have been better to turn around, but he kept saying he wanted to keep going.

Sounds like it could be a trip. Sounds like I might be able to take my Subaru instead too.

Robert B
July 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
ya thats kinda why i voted for red cone since i took a 95 nissan pathfinder with 31 inch tires and 1 inch or less of lift up it just fine :) little bit of floating tires and retrys but all good and most other 4x4s are better set up than a pathfinder

Funrover
July 4th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I am in, have not missed a stockers run yet.

4Runninfun
July 5th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Sounds good Steve pick a time and place!

As for min. requirements I would say 29" tires and low range. pretty basic but enough to get you through any mild trail.

SCRubicon
July 5th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I wasn't very clear, so I had to edit the end my original post. The trail run date was what I was thinking of. The trail choice will not be decided by votes.

SCRubicon
July 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM
We DEFINITELY said something at the trailhead. I certainly said that he was going to have a hard time, but wasn't about to stop him from trying if he wanted to. I said multiple times during the trail that it might have been better to turn around, but he kept saying he wanted to keep going.

Sounds like it could be a trip. Sounds like I might be able to take my Subaru instead too.

Sometimes a firm, "you're not going to make it" isn't enough for some people. Oh well, it's in the past.

Andrew
July 5th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I don't think Red Cone is that difficult. The descent is more of a scare factor than difficulty factor.

I'd say that Bill Moore lake is a bit more challenging than Red Cone.

Pathrat
July 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I wasn't very clear, so I had to edit the end my original post. The trail run date was what I was thinking of. The trail choice will not be decided by votes.

I will ask for the weekends of August 6th or 20th. I will be out of town on the 12th.

Brody
July 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
The trail choice will not be decided by votes.

Keeps things simple, doesn't it? Sometimes the voting thing isn't worth all the associated BS if you actually want to get anything accomplished.

Brad
July 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM
:lmao: As I recall, Bill Moore didn't defeat you. You defeated you. ;)

Yes! Def a :rtfm: moment! Saddest part is I owned the vehicle for a year and a half prior to that.
I take solace in knowing I have mastered the art of 4wd shifting in a Discovery! :D

That said I am looking forward to the Stockers no Lockers run. :thumb:

Gossamer
July 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM
The wife dont particulary care about the more technical runs we do so she would love something like this ! If available, we are in

SCRubicon
August 5th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I am in, have not missed a stockers run yet.

Well, you in or what????

Funrover
August 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Well, you in or what????

Nope, I will be fixing things! Have fun