PDA

View Full Version : Indian Peaks/Moffat Road wheel & fish 4th July

EldoradoFJ60
June 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Been tinkering with the idea of heading up to the Moffat Road/Rollins Pass area on the 4th weekend.

My idea was to possibly head up to the lakes off of the Jenny Creek Trail, Jenny Lake and Bob and Betty. Might also hike up to Crater Lakes from the Moffat Tunnel for a day of fishing. Camping in Indian Peaks requires a permit so I was thinking there would have to be other areas close by for camping.

I'm planning on this being mostly a fishing trip with some wheeling throw in as a bonus. I definitely didn't get my fill of casting and relaxing last weekend.

Anybody interested?

Mesomelas
June 24th, 2011, 06:49 PM
You can reach Forest lakes from just above Jenny lake, I hear that the snowpack is pretty deep though and we still may not even be able to make it up there yet. That is one of my favorite places to go though and if you can make it up there for the 4th, I bet it would be nuts with the amount of people that likely go up there.

mattzj98
June 24th, 2011, 06:52 PM
well a few weeks back i went up there.. the snow was a little higher than the top of my jeep so about 9 to 10 ft.. i am not sure that it's all melted by now =(

EldoradoFJ60
June 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM
well a few weeks back i went up there.. the snow was a little higher than the top of my jeep so about 9 to 10 ft.. i am not sure that it's all melted by now =(

Dang. Too much snow. Last year Crater Lakes were snow free by the 4th. Looks like I won't be so lucky this time. I'll need to check the map and see what else is in the area.

mattzj98
June 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM
heres a pic from the run

Brody
June 25th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Colo4x4 trail report also said that the road up to Rollins Pass is blocked by snow not too far in. Probably going to have to wait for the snow to melt a little more...

EldoradoFJ60
June 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Decided that I'll be heading to the west side of Gross Reservoir for the weekend. Gonna fish the inlet. Should be a good place to camp and hike around and explore a bit. Maybe I'll see if I can hook one of those elusive Muskies. Kinda doubtful, but you never know.