PDA

View Full Version : Bunce Rd / Plane Crash Site or Rampart Area 6/25?

Java
June 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
We have an actual weekend off :2thumbup: and have been wanting to see the plane wreckage for a while. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=174
I was hoping to do that on Sat. and maybe take Dakan rd into Rampart on Sunday and hike up Devils Head, or reverse those. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=152 I'd also be open to exploring the Rampart area trails??

Mporter
June 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
If you're willing to reverse em and do the Rampart exploring on Saturday, I'd be down.

I was planning on doing that, or Slaughterhouse (or China Wall) anyway on that day. Company is never bad though.

Java
June 16th, 2011, 09:55 AM
So Rampart trails on Saturday, June 25th? Sounds great to me!

Rob
June 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
BTW, I'm planning to set up a plane crash/Johnny Park road run for the 25th.

Java
June 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM
BTW, I'm planning to set up a plane crash/Johnny Park road run for the 25th.

I didn't know those two trails met, or are you just thinking of running both on the same day? I'd love to do that, and I saw that John Fielder recommends Johhny Park road in his Best of Colorado book, so I'm guessing it's beautiful (unlike the rest of Colorado!). It would probably be a lot less crowded than Rampart Range on a Saturday too.

Rob
June 16th, 2011, 12:35 PM
They're not far from each other. It is a drive to get to one from the other, but if we run JPR north to south and come out at Meeker, it's not too far down Colo. 7 and the Peak to Peak to get to the T-33A trailhead. I think they can both be done the same day.

Mporter
June 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hrm. I may actually do the JPR one because I've never done either of those trails and i've explored Rampart a lot, both in a car and on a bike.

Java
June 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Great, I'm in, I've been to Rampart before too but never to either of these trails, or Bunce Rd. The way we'll hit it looks like the best way to do Bunce / Plane Crash because you start at the end away from the Crash trail at the old school house, so we'll get to see it all.

MelloYello
June 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
So plan the runs already Rob or Paul!

Java
June 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM
So plan the runs already Rob or Paul!

I will defer to Rob since he knows where the trailheads are and where we all should meet, I have nothing but ambition. :)

GaryG
June 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I think I could get in on this one

Fordguy77
June 16th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I wouldnt mind riding along with someone if the FJ isnt fixed by then.

Chris
June 16th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I hope to be able to go but need to fix some malfunctioning traction control/ABS electronics first. Knowing I was likely to have this recurring issue happen on last weekends run turned out to be true. I think Brad was the only one to see me smoking my tires trying to get over a rather insignificant obstacle when all my "traction control" systems failed. :eek:

Rob
June 16th, 2011, 09:22 PM
The way we'll hit it looks like the best way to do Bunce / Plane Crash because you start at the end away from the Crash trail at the old school house, so we'll get to see it all.

Close. I'd rather come in from the Camp Dick side to hit T33A. Running almost the full length of Bunce is just a long stretch of rough road. Much faster to use Peak to Peak asphalt than bouncy Bunce.

So I think I have a plan (now that the Boulder Ranger District also lists JPR as open): Meet at Shamrock in Lyons, then head up 34 to get to JPR. We'll come in the back way off County Road 47, which will take us the actual trailhead. Most of the fun stuff is on this end of the trail, but we'll head all the way to the end, something I haven't done since they graded the southern end of the trail. Maybe the mud pits have reappeared. When we hit Meeker, we'll head down Highway 7 to the Peak to Peak and over to Camp Dick, then up Bunce a short way to the plane crash trailhead. Fortunately, I know both these trails fairly well, so I guarantee (mostly) not to get us lost. :)

I'm thinking a meeting time of 9 a.m. since it'll be a full day of wheeling.

MelloYello
June 16th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Sound good Rob. Since you are new to the forum, I'll let you in on a secret... Post up in the "planed Trail Runs" section. :lmao:

Java
June 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM
The way we'll hit it looks like the best way to do Bunce / Plane Crash because you start at the end away from the Crash trail at the old school house, so we'll get to see it all.

Close. I'd rather come in from the Camp Dick side to hit T33A. Running almost the full length of Bunce is just a long stretch of rough road. Much faster to use Peak to Peak asphalt than bouncy Bunce.

So I think I have a plan (now that the Boulder Ranger District also lists JPR as open): Meet at Shamrock in Lyons, then head up 34 to get to JPR. We'll come in the back way off County Road 47, which will take us the actual trailhead. Most of the fun stuff is on this end of the trail, but we'll head all the way to the end, something I haven't done since they graded the southern end of the trail. Maybe the mud pits have reappeared. When we hit Meeker, we'll head down Highway 7 to the Peak to Peak and over to Camp Dick, then up Bunce a short way to the plane crash trailhead. Fortunately, I know both these trails fairly well, so I guarantee (mostly) not to get us lost. :)

I'm thinking a meeting time of 9 a.m. since it'll be a full day of wheeling.

Sounds like a plan!! Like a post-able plan. :thumb:

Rob
June 16th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Sound good Rob. Since you are new to the forum, I'll let you in on a secret... Post up in the "Planned Trail Runs" section. :lmao:

Well, OK, I was a little hesitant, but I gave it shot. (Wise guy.) :lmao: Now you have to RSVP, Keith.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13272

MelloYello
June 16th, 2011, 11:47 PM
:lmao: Way to go Rob!