PDA

View Full Version : Saturday june 4th

Hotchef181818
June 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Alright guys, I'm ready to wheel. Jeeps is off the jack stands and ready to go so I took a saturday off(rare). I'm open to anything. Nothing that is guaranteed body damage and within 1hr of Denver. I'm not sure whats open right now since I really havent been out much yet this season. Any suggestions? Who want to go? Was even thinking about lhc and doing some shooting after. Everyone can bring their toys

Haku
June 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM
I personally avoid LHC on a weekend. Tends to be a circus, especially this time of year (when a lot of other trails are still closed).

There is another thread talking about it, but the only stuff open is the low land stuff or some of the higher elevation stuff being only partially open. There was talk of a OCG trip with some possible camping I think.

I'm down for wheeling for sure though. I would prefer there is at least a bit of challenge, but it certainly doesn't have to be hardcore.

Coonburger
June 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
thats what iam thinking iam going wheeling this weekend no matter what :)

Mporter
June 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Yankee Hill. I'm not sure if Kingston is clear yet though

Haku
June 1st, 2011, 02:50 PM
Yankee is there, but without snow is VERY tame. Not sure how much snow is up there still, but I'm guessing its MUCH less then it was a month ago.

Honestly, you are missing out big time if you don't go more then 45 minutes from Denver. I understand with gas prices, but its gonna get very repetitive for ya.

Oh yeah, and OCG is more like 2 hours away from the Lakewood area. Its definitely a fine day trip, but doing an overnight is fun too.

Coonburger
June 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM
eagle rock , saran wrap?

Coonburger
June 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM
there is a club going up bill moore this weekend looks like a blast and id volunteer to break up the drifts for ya ;)

Hotchef181818
June 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM
So it's sounds like Yankee hill, eagle rock and Saran wrap. You guys decide and I'll post it. At this point I'd I had 2 days of I would be in Moab. I need to get out of town.

Haku
June 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM
I could be down for Eagle Rock. I've only done it in the winter time and only got about half way up. Its a bit of a drive, but its no worse then OCG so not really that bad.

If we are gonna snow bash, Spring Creek sounds more fun to me. I'm fine with getting myself out too.

Nate
June 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM
Coonburger just posted a run to red elephant, mill creek, bill moore lake. on saturday the 4th.

Hotchef181818
June 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
I kinda knocked spring creek out based on our conversation yesterday. I'm down for whatever. I have never run the 3 trails listed in the other post but I'm down for anything. Ill wait another hour or 2, if it seems like most people are ok with the other run I'll kill this thread and we can all go together. If there is interest still in another run that works too.

Haku
June 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I do think Spring Creek needs another week or two before its worth trying. It is still fun even if you don't make it all the way up though. Honestly, I'm down with whatever really. Bill Moore is close enough to be worth doing, and having some snow will make it more fun. I'd also be down for something else too. Your "weekend in Moab" idea sounds interesting....but don't tempt me.

Hotchef181818
June 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM
Maybe a couple weeks out we can do a 2-3 day Moab trip. I can't get it together for this weekend or I would be gone. I'm gonna jump over to the other run that is planned already.

Volcom
June 1st, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'll be running Indy & Patriot down in Penrose on Saturday. It's more than an hour from Denver & pretty much guaranteed body damage though.

Hotchef181818
June 2nd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Not enough armor yet for those trails. Sorry man

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 12:27 AM
So I'm gonna start this up again because I'm not really up for playing in the snow and a ton of winching right now. Anybody have a trail they wanna run sat? I would like to get 4-5 trucks out so maybe some of us new guys can meet a few of the regulars. I just spent another full day working on the jeep and am ready to go. I'm gonna load all my recovery gear and my go pro hero camera in the am before work. Let's get something together. Also I have been hearing there is more snow falling in the mountains ?? Slaughterhouse gulch??

Nate
June 3rd, 2011, 04:00 AM
Wow. Nothing surprises me any more.

glacierpaul
June 3rd, 2011, 06:01 AM
West side of Yankee and Kingston are still under snow, is melting fast but still not totally passable, at least from St. Mary's side.

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
Sorry Nate. Too many new parts and still getting my feet wet with Colorado wheeling. Not really comfortable with snow wheeling quite yet. My tires would do horrible in the snow anyways. Plus I work till midnight tonight so I would be struggling in the am.

Coonburger
June 3rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
that'll be next week ill post it up ;)

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'll be running Indy & Patriot down in Penrose on Saturday. It's more than an hour from Denver & pretty much guaranteed body damage though.

I'm very tempted to come along on that. I would totally be down if you were doing Liberty too.

foxtrot
June 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
we should setup a run down there, I would run Liberty in and out with you, but don't realy want to break on bunker hill again. I just can't this Saturday, the rig still does not have a new birf

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
we should setup a run down there, I would run Liberty in and out with you, but don't realy want to break on bunker hill again. I just can't this Saturday, the rig still does not have a new birf

Do you have the Birf already? I have two heat treated/cryoed birfields that I'm looking to sell. They were done by Longfield, back in the days before they made Chromoly stuff. I sold them to DrUnit to use in his FJ40, but they didn't work so I bought them back. I also have a full set of spare stock axle shafts I would sell too. $50 for the heat treated Birfs and $75 for the axle shafts sounds reasonable.

I'd like to try Bunker, but could be persuaded to go back down it and back out Liberty. I'm in no hurry to do it really, since I would prefer to have my power steering and lockers figured out before hand. I'd still go this weekend though.

I've never done Slaughterhouse, but it sounds like there is only one section that is more then just a dirt road. Might be a bit muddy up there still though. Eagle Rock was sounding kind of good. Some decent challenge and supposedly clear of snow all the way through. A bit of a drive but not horrible.

foxtrot
June 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'll probably take you up on the birfs. I don't really like Eagle rock because I have never made it through without breaking something, mainly because of he road up there. 13 miles of washboard roads do wonders to all the bolts on your truck lol. I might do bunker again, just depends on how I feel lol. I would do it again (eagle rock), but I want to go over my truck once we get to the trail head and tighten all the bolts, as last time, my u-bolts, drive shaft bolts, and my steering arm bolts all came loose last time and destroyed a lot lol

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
I'll probably take you up on the birfs. I don't really like Eagle rock because I have never made it through without breaking something, mainly because of he road up there. 13 miles of washboard roads do wonders to all the bolts on your truck lol. I might do bunker again, just depends on how I feel lol. I would do it again (eagle rock), but I want to go over my truck once we get to the trail head and tighten all the bolts, as last time, my u-bolts, drive shaft bolts, and my steering arm bolts all came loose last time and destroyed a lot lol

Thats why you air down before you drive up Stage Coach road. Taking the tires down to 8-10 PSI does wonders for smoothing out washboard roads. I've never had my steering arm nuts come loose, but Volcom said he was having issues with that on his and doing the "5th stud" fix made it go away. Something to think about.

I'm down for whatever really, I just want to do something with at least a moderate level of challenge to it.

foxtrot
June 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
would next sat/sun work for you? im coming up to boulder this week, so I can pick up the birfs from you. sunday is better for me since it is the start of a new pay period, so
I can afford to take it off lol

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
I'm down for eagle rock. What time are you thinking you would wanna be at the trailhead ?

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
I'm down for eagle rock. What time are you thinking you would wanna be at the trailhead ?

I would say 10am where the dirt road starts (its a big switchback) sounds about right to me. Its about an hour and a half from the Denver area to there (maybe a bit less for Southern part and more for Northern). That way we can congregate and air down before the washboard road. Its about another 30-45 to the actual trailhead from there.

Here is a picture and point on the map where the switchback is....

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/2dogs2kids/Eagle%20rock%201-30-2010/100_0132.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=38.776823,-104.863839&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=38.776804,-104.863794&sspn=0.006031,0.006019&ie=UTF8&ll=38.776804,-104.863794&spn=0.006031,0.006019&t=h&z=17

We could also meet closer to the highway if people prefered. I don't know the area all that well, but I'm sure someone can chime in. I think I've heard of people meeting at a Wal Mart or McDonalds or something.

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 12:18 PM
would next sat/sun work for you? im coming up to boulder this week, so I can pick up the birfs from you. sunday is better for me since it is the start of a new pay period, so
I can afford to take it off lol

I'm fine with either day next weekend for the liberty trip, and let me know when you want to come get those Birf's and I'll make sure I'm there. Here is a picture of them....

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pZ59cRodKCVb5VoRzZhQTPEA2Xn-OYytfMwwjdH6BgKaeDItoAdmdqFkio8a1vKAFuZ1RC-ZqHjWixNZOL-3b5A/DSC_0465%20%28800x530%29.jpg?psid=1

I talked to Bobby Long himself and he assured me the scoring on them wouldn't effect their strength. They look worse in the picture then they are too.

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'm down. I would prefer to meet somewhere near the highway as I don't know the area either but I'm sure I could find my way if needed.

foxtrot
June 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
ok cool, will do, probably be heading up wednesday sometime. as far as you guys going up Eagle Rock, you can meet at the home depot: 2250 Southgate Road, Colorado Springs, CO. that is the normal meeting place

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
That's fine with me. Does that works for you haku?

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah...sounds good to me.

Do you want to post the run? I can do it if you want, but its up to you.

Brad, Wednesday should be fine. Just let me know what time you want to come by. Might be working on my truck at the Club Workshop, but its not hard to find.

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Would u mind posting it ? Leaving for work and probably wouldn't get to it till 4:30 or so. What time do u wanna meet at hd? 9:30?

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
By the way hake do u carry a hilift? Haven't sorted out the best way to mount mine yet so I would like to leave it at home.

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
I haven't brought my hilift for the same reason. I could probably manage it by just strapping it to the back somewhere though.

I'll do a "Meet at 9:30am leave by 10am" at the home depot. I'll post it now.

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Sounds good.

Aaron
June 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
By the way hake do u carry a hilift? Haven't sorted out the best way to mount mine yet so I would like to leave it at home.

I did this with my TJ.

http://sparkodesign.com/alt-pictures/highlift-800x600/p1010230.jpg

Cost about 5 dollars... Here's the writup.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/high-lift-roll-bar-mount-write-up-pics-792521/

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
Problem is mine is a 60" left over from the scout. I honestly hate the things.

Mesomelas
June 3rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
Problem is mine is a 60" left over from the scout. I honestly hate the things.

Let me have it. :D

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
It need a bolt but u can have it if you bring me a piece of tube to use as a breaker bar. That's all I use it for.

Mesomelas
June 3rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hey, I have several cheater bars you are welcome to have. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 10:47 PM
Sounds good to me. I honestly would love to have it out of my garage.

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
It need a bolt but u can have it if you bring me a piece of tube to use as a breaker bar. That's all I use it for.

I have several breaker bar tubes that I'll glad trade for that. I even will probably have a few with me tomorrow.

Hotchef181818
June 3rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
I'll let u guys know tomorrow night if I. Gonna keep it or not.

Mesomelas
June 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Hey I asked first. :D

Haku
June 3rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
hahah....didn't see that till all the way through...you had dibs so I guess its yours if he wants to do the trade.