PDA

View Full Version : blazer bumpers

Robert B
May 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM
hey i was wondering if you guys that have blazers or suburbans and have winch bumpers on them could put up pics of how you mounted them to the frame since i know its easy but i want mine to be overkill and there isnt much room on the end of the frame to work with before it hits body and spring mounts thanks :thumb: (or anyone else that has custom mounts for a "C" channel frame)

Roostercruiser
May 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Mine bolted right up. It came off an old military blazer. Winch and all

Robert B
May 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM
well mine is a warn winch bumper but it has ford mounts....same bumper just different mounts......and warn said they dont make service those old things anymore ...... i will get pics today or tomorrow of what im talking about :)

Brody
May 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM
You have a lot of options, Robert. I'll just throw a couple out, going from the weakest to the strongest. Any of these would work, all of them are strong enough, all are relatively simple. It wouldn't hurt to gusset the inside mount (and the outside too, if room allows) of any of these back to the bumper. Do weld both sides of the bumper mount.:

Looking at the C channel of your frame, you can sandwich two pieces of plate off of the bumper on either side of the C channel and then simply bolt it all together with 4 bolts.

Using that as a baseline, you can modify the inside piece reinforcing it with a piece of angle iron at the top and/or bottom....or you can use angle iron on both the inside and the outside with a welded plate in between the plates and then bolt all that together.

You can find some rectangular stock that fits inside the C channel, weld that to your bumper and bolt that through the frame. You can also use an additional plate on the outside of the frame, either to simply reinforce the frame/bolts or welded to the bumper, though the tolerances get a bit tight.

The last two are probably equally strong as far as strength goes. If you use 3/16" steel, your bumper/frame mounting surface ends up being pretty damn thick and the frame itself becomes the weakest point.