PDA

View Full Version : Getting a title for your home-built trailer.

Hypoid
May 15th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I robbed this from NAXJA's Colorado Chapter: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1062448

This January a new law went into effect that requires a "Road Worthiness Inspection" for all home-built trailers.

I bought Troy's MJ Long bed from a scrapped MJ to convert into an off road trailer. Unfortunately, I didn't license it prior to Jan. 1st.

So I got my tax return in Feb and built the tongue for the trailer and had it ready to license around the beginning of April. I did a search online and discovered I needed to fill out the Colorado DR2409 form.

I filled out the DR2409 with the following values (IANAL so make sound decisions yourself should you need to license a home-built trailer...):
Weight: 800lbs (probably high)
Width: 70 inches
Length: 140 inches (I built a longer tongue so I can add a platform and box on the front)
Year: 2011
Make was "HMD" (copied from the CSP form)

This is what I put in the description field in the DR2409:
"A single axle box type trailer with steel sides approx 30 inches tall,
70 inches wide and 88 inches long built using materials on hand."

I did have all of the receipts for all materials purchased for the project, just in case. When I stopped into the DMV office the first time, they asked for them and the DR2409 calls for them: "[Bills of sale for materials (axles, wheels, etc.,) used to assemble this trailer must be presented to the County Clerk]" ... but this second visit, I was not asked for them.

I had the DR2409 filled out, along with the form that the DMV person provided. I made the appointment with the State Patrol. The Trooper verified the forms, took my drivers license, did a walk around of the trailer. He looked at the tongue, I am sure he checked out the chains but he didn't say anything. He walked to the back, verified that the trailer had lights installed, walked back, collected $20 and took the forms inside.

He never asked for me to run the lights, which I thought odd, they work fine so I wasn't worried.

After about 5 minutes, he came out with the original DR2409, the form from the DMV and a third form the Trooper provided. He didn't say a word about the bed coming from a truck or about it's original title at all and neither did the folks in the DMV office.

I noted on the third form he provided that he also performed an NCIS/CCIS check on me.... glad that thing in Vegas hasn't caught up with me... just kidding http://www.naxja.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

All told, $20 for inspection, $57 and change for the registration and VIN plate.

Cr33p3r
May 16th, 2011, 06:10 AM
They just keep doing stuff to make more money off of us and more a PIA tooo! Probably a good thing tho after seeing some of the trailers that are on the road tho. Do you think they are just doing this to try and catch the folks that have committed crimes and have outstanding warrants out there?

Hypoid
May 17th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I don't know what the rationale is for doing inspections again.

Cr33p3r
May 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM
I am glad I got the trailer title and plated before this started! And at least with the tow dolly you do not need plates for it.