PDA

View Full Version : broken locker

foxtrot
May 4th, 2011, 08:24 PM
So I was up on Rainbow falls this weekend playing around on a few obstacles. I pulled up on one and was watching the front tir climb, when I heard a loud pop and tthe tire stoped moving. as I backed off, I heard some crunching, and figured it was a birfield. ulocked the hubs and drove home. tore apart the axle today to find two birfields in perfect condition. so I pull the third member, and all I see is a spring sticking out of the locker assemble. the locker I have is an Aussie locker so it is a lunchbox locker. there are 4 pins and 4 springs that operate the locker. two out of the four pins were sheered off and laying in the bottom of the housing. I got very lucky that they didn't chew up my ring and pinion gears. I called the Aussie locker company today, and told them about the issue. they calimed it was not a defect and that sometimes they can snap in the right situation. They went ahead and sent me 4 new pins and springs and did priority shipping so they should be here Friday. I would reccommend an Aussie locker to anyone because their customer service is outstanding. they even sell the pins and springs for 20.00 and charge 30 for priority shipping, and they gave them to me for free! :thumb: I'll post some pictures when I charge my camera lol

Robert B
May 4th, 2011, 08:55 PM
ouch, cant wait to see the pics and i must say i am not a yota/foreign guy so i had no idea what a birfield was until google.......

Volcom
May 4th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Wow that's odd. I've been pounding on my aussies for 5 years with no issues. Glad they are taking care of you. Just a heads up for next time you think you broke a birfield. Don't just unlock the hubs and drive home. If you did have a broken birfield all the broken pieces can jam up in the housing balls locking up the steering and make it dangerous to drive. Id suggest making sure they aren't broke and if they are, pull the broken axle out of the housing.

Mporter
May 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Good to hear on the Aussie CS. I just recently put one in the rear of my cruiser.

foxtrot
May 5th, 2011, 12:37 AM
thanks Aaron, I never knew that about a birf. because I've never broken one. good to know and it makes sense lol. hopefully if I am on trails that are tough enough to break a birf. I will be using a tow rig since I can borrow my moms truck anytime I want.

Brody
May 5th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Just a heads up for next time you think you broke a birfield. Don't just unlock the hubs and drive home. If you did have a broken birfield all the broken pieces can jam up in the housing balls locking up the steering and make it dangerous to drive.

What Aaron said. Not only that, but the balls and pieces really tear the **** out of the inside of the birf knuckle, making for even more work...

Haku
May 5th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Time to beef up and get some 30 Spline chromo axle shafts, then you won't have to worry about breaking a birf. Bummer about the locker, hopefully the new pins hold up a bit better then the old ones. I'm guessing that that obstacle might have been "the straw that broke the camels back" and may or may not have been where the real damage occured. Good times though.