PDA

View Full Version : Gonna have to give up the Jeep and get this!

GaryG
April 4th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Saw this at the autom show yesterday, no pricing or production date, but sure looks like a lot of fun...
http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/GMC/2011-GMC_Sierra-All_Terrain-HD_010-1280.jpg

Check it out http://www.conceptcarz.com/z19303/GMC-Sierra-All-Terrain-HD-Concept.aspx

Aaron
April 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I saw that too yesterday at the auto show. We probably passed each other. It was the only picture I took :)

Brody
April 4th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Looks like a pickup truck to me...

Aaron
April 4th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Looks like a pickup truck to me...

It is a pickup truck.

Brody
April 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Pickups have looked like pickups for a really long time. Kinda hard to get exited about 'yet another pickup'. Oh...and don't get me wrong. I now have two pickups and, guess what? They both look like pickups....A cool sports car, sure, but a pickup by any other name is still a pickup...

RockyMtnHigh
April 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I like it, maybe still a pickup, but it's a pickup with an attitude, a lot better than Ford's answer to the off-road vehicle IMO.

GaryG
April 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Sure its just a pickup, just like my Jeep is just a SUV. Don't know if you checked out the link for the specs, but this thing has some serious off road capabilities and it'll still tow 15K whilst yer riding in the comfort of a Denali like interior. (Don't really care for the latter, but I do like the rest)

Brody
April 5th, 2011, 06:10 AM
No...didn't check the link, just looked at the picture. Will do the link.

4Runninfun
April 5th, 2011, 07:42 AM
looks like GM wants to compete with the dodge powerwagon.

94ToyBear
April 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM
some serious off road capabilities
like what kind ?
im not sure why this would do great of road ?
is it ifs in front or solid ?

Brody
April 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
The new 2011 Sierra HD underpins the All Terrain HD concept, with a modified, production-based 4WD chassis and the Duramax diesel/Allison 1000 six-speed powertrain. The enhanced suspension and unique body dimensions, including increased ground clearance and wider track, as well as greater approach/departure angles, deliver off-road capability while maintaining HD levels of payload and trailering capacity.

IFS, a little wider, 3" more ground clearance.

Hypoid
April 5th, 2011, 10:21 PM
"Just like flying a brick!"

Pathrat
April 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Sounds like they want to hone in on the Raptor market share. I think I would rather have the Ford.

RockyMtnHigh
April 5th, 2011, 11:56 PM
looks like GM wants to compete with the dodge powerwagon.

They got some work to do if Dodge's concept hits the market.

http://gtcarlot.com/news_pictures/photo.php?id=35282793&w=1024

http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/ram/powerwagon.html

GaryG
April 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM
It seems that GM's take is to still have the truck be useful when not using it for off road fun. Raptor and PowerWagon, don't see to fit that bill.

Brody
April 6th, 2011, 06:51 AM
It also sounds like GM responded to some customer input. Nice, especially as you don't see this happening too much any more.

Aaron
April 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM
This is the pic I got from the show.
http://184.72.239.143/mu/209987db-743c-a549.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Brody
April 6th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have probably missed something here as I came across this thread where it mentions a 'halo' truck. Well, granted I am probably not up on the current vernacular when it comes to vehicles, but 'halo' to me means either high opening/low altitude, the X Box game, a ring world, or something around an angel's head, among many other meanings. i have never heard it in relation to a vehicle before.

Could GMC add a halo off-road truck to its full-size pickup lineup? The diesel-powered GMC Sierra All Terrain Heavy Duty Concept — which will debut next month at the 2011 Detroit auto show — points to how the “professional grade” brand thinks it might deliver a credible competitor to the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor and the Ram 2500 Power Wagon in the current or next-generation Sierra HD.

GaryG
April 7th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Could GMC add a halo off-road truck to its full-size pickup lineup? The diesel-powered GMC Sierra All Terrain Heavy Duty Concept — which will debut next month at the 2011 Detroit auto show — points to how the “professional grade” brand thinks it might deliver a credible competitor to the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor and the Ram 2500 Power Wagon in the current or next-generation Sierra HD

So I'm poking around today and I find that same term "Halo" used in another context. I'd never heard the word used this way and then it shows up twice in one day. Here's what I found in a review for a new laptop...

"Samsung officials consider the Series 9 a premium "halo product," the kind of item a company produces when it wants to make a statement about the work it can turn out."

So essentially it's a show off piece.

Haku
April 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
A "halo" car is a car specifically designed to get people excited about a brand. Its main intention is to get people interested in the brand in genera, with selling well being less of a big deal. Essential inteded to get people salivating over the special edition car, and then turn around and buy the normal version.

In this case, it would be intended to get people wanting this full on version, but most would then end up going with a lower down model. Essentially a marketing ploy more then a truck that will make a ton of profit. The Camaro SS and Corvette ZR-1 are the two other Chevy Halo cars.

I've heard it for a while now, especially in regards to the special edition American cars. I think the car magazines are fairly fond of using the word more then the average person.

As far as the truck goes, I would take the Ram Power Wagon over this one. The Power Wagon is Solid Axle in front, Front and Rear selectable lockers, winch already on the truck and a couple other fun things. I'd take the Ford Raptor over this too, even though its quite a different truck. I would put this GM one and the Power Wagon more into the "working class" and the Raptor into the "sports car" class. I know its not a sports car, but its designed as a Baja Pre-Runner that you buy off the showroom floor instead of build yourself. This GM and the Ram Power Wagon are work trucks that have added features to make them off road capable. My only real qualm with the Power Wagon is the huge decals all over it. I would definitely want something more sleeper then that. Cool truck though, too bad its so damn expensive.

Brody
April 8th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the 'halo' explanations.

I suppose now that the term 'extreme' has been used so much for so long (on par with hearing "Freebird, Layla, or Born to be Wild" for the umpteenth time) and really run into the ground with 'EXTREME Toothpaste', etc, etc, I guess we can now expect to see 'halo' get the same treatment, especially if it sells product..I know that after a bit, I hesitated to read or buy anything that had the word 'extreme' attached to it ...Almost was the deciding factor not to get the Nitto Mud Grapplers I got. Had "EXTREME" all over both sides....too good a deal to pass up, though...Then I got a big laugh when I heard some guys talking about all of this "EXTREME" backcountry skiing and boarding that they had been doing. Really?" Whereabouts?", I asked.. "Oh", looking very serious, "Off Loveland Pass", was the reply..I just about lost it. Talk about too much TV and seeing "EXTREME" everywhere.. I have been skiing (Alpine, Tele) and snowboarding off Loveland Pass since about 1974 and I can say for sure that if you avoid the man made jumps, 98% of anything off the pass is in the intermediate or hard intermediate range...Oh well...marketing in action..

Rob
April 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I hesitated to read or buy anything that had the word 'extreme' attached to it

:lmao: I'm the same way with "HD" and "high definition." Can someone explain to me what high-definition paint is? :confused:

Haku
April 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
HD in reference to High Def is fairly new. Its been in use for Heavy Duty for quite a while though.

I've seen Halo in reference to cars for five years and it hasn't really gotten more prevalent in use. I still think its more of a journalistic term and less something that every day people will use. Its just a good way to explain the existance of certain models.

RockyMtnHigh
April 9th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Can someone explain to me what high-definition paint is? :confused:

I don't know, but why spend all that money on a high definition LCD or a paint job when you can just buy a set of these for $10 and if you act now, they'll send you one pair for free! :lmao:

http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/a3/2a/73/104305703-260x260-0-0_Ultra+Products+HD+Vision+Ultra+Sunglasses+Black. jpg

Rob
April 9th, 2011, 12:25 PM
if you act now, they'll send you one pair for free!

:lmao: I'll act now, but only if they throw in a set of Ginsu knives and a Bass-O-Matic.