PDA

View Full Version : Jeep fixin' fun in my driveway

SCRubicon
March 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Isn’t it funny how one thing always seems to lead into another? A couple weeks ago we put some new shocks and a steering stabilizer on Eric’s Rubi. Rancho 9000’s – they ride like a dream. When we got done with it we were looking at the underside of his rig. He was mentioning a clunk and a vibration. Could be just about anything… Anyway, he was push/pulling on things – one of them being the rear drive shaft and we noticed that the transmission isolator was totally shot. A few days pass and we put in a nice new urethane one. With that done we go out for a test ride. More vibration than before, but now it is constant. Next thing we look at? Motor mounts. Yep, shot. A few more days go by and we install new urethane units. Not really hard to do, but what a tedious task. Tight fit, one step forward, two steps back, cuts, scrapes, busted knucks. Done! (or are we?)

Driver's side - ain’t she a beaut? Passenger side wasn’t much better...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/RandomShots/mm002.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/RandomShots/mm001.jpg

MelloYello
March 18th, 2011, 05:18 PM
WTF! that is serious stuff. M.O.R.E. makes some pretty good jeep motor mounts.

RidgeRunner
March 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Those motor mounts sure aren't much fun, I've enough of them.

M.O.R.E. makes some pretty good jeep motor mounts

With a pretty hefty price tag too. I lucked out and picked some up for $20 for the pair last summer.

BTW...where did you pick up the urethane tranny mount?

SCRubicon
March 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM
BTW...where did you pick up the urethane tranny mount?

He grabbed it online from Quadratec. (don't remember the brand) The Currie motor mounts came from 4wp Wholesalers.

Pathrat
March 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
What? Is there a problem? Looks fine to me.

Hypoid
March 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I'm with Pathrat! Not to mention, my centers fell out soon as they were out of the heep.

Now, give that exhaust manifold a close look.

Funrover
March 19th, 2011, 12:01 AM
His Jeep is gonna be sweet in time for summer!

SCRubicon
March 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Exhaust manifold looks good. We gotta get the tube fenders and tire carrier bumper on one of these days. They're sitting collecting dust.

Brody
March 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
How do your hands stay so clean working on a rig? All I have to do is THINK about working on a vehicle and I have grease and junk on my hands. LaDawn doesn't know how it happens either. Thinking about working on a rig, then walking into the garage, even without touching a damn thing is even worse....

At least you found the problem and got it fixed. Trying to find vehicle vibrations and weird noises especially in the drive train, is sometimes a hard thing to do. I have dealt with about 4 rigs in the last 5 months that have had "something" going on....

SCRubicon
March 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM
The pics were from the post show wrap up. Amazing what those Armor All orange cleaning wipes will take off of your grubby mitts. (even though it clearly states on the bottle - not for personal cleansing) Sadly, they don't do much when it comes to calluses :lmao:

Speedwagon
March 20th, 2011, 10:00 AM
How do your hands stay so clean working on a rig? All I have to do is THINK about working on a vehicle and I have grease and junk on my hands. LaDawn doesn't know how it happens either. Thinking about working on a rig, then walking into the garage, even without touching a damn thing is even worse....

At least you found the problem and got it fixed. Trying to find vehicle vibrations and weird noises especially in the drive train, is sometimes a hard thing to do. I have dealt with about 4 rigs in the last 5 months that have had "something" going on....

I buy HF nitrile gloves. Get them on sale, and it's about $6/100 count box.

SCRubicon
March 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I have to get down there one of these days. That would be a lot cheaper than using up my cleaning wipes.

Speedwagon
March 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I have to get down there one of these days. That would be a lot cheaper than using up my cleaning wipes.

Has the added benefit of being able to take off the gloves, and walk away mostly clean. Or answer the phone, or do whatever... put on a new pair, and get back to work.