PDA

View Full Version : Brody gave me gas!

MelloYello
March 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Brody gave me "gas" tank protection. I know, I know, he builds good stuff, he know what he is doing, everybody likes him, yada yada.
But dang, I am impressed. He built me a gas tank skid plate for my Cherokee that is not only super strong as it should be, BUT his attention to details is what impressed me the most. He took the time to form fit it "around" my tank while utilized my receiver hitch for strength. I think it is a great design thats bomb proof while still being easily removed if I needed to. Below are the pics...
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn174/AtomicKD/Jeep%20Pics/Misc%20Stuff/GTSkid1.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn174/AtomicKD/Jeep%20Pics/Misc%20Stuff/GTSkid3.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn174/AtomicKD/Jeep%20Pics/Misc%20Stuff/GTSkid2.jpg

Here is what I mean about details. Most people would just weld up a rectangle "box" to go up under the tank. Brody took the time to angle it around the shape of the tank...
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn174/AtomicKD/Jeep%20Pics/Misc%20Stuff/GTSkid4.jpg

Thank You Pete! :thumb:

transplant87
March 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM
dang that looks good

Smash
March 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Holy cow.... Looks like a "from the factory" accessory!!

Robert B
March 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
wow that might be actually and truly bomb proof ....... amazing protection :)

Brody
March 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks Guys and thanks Kieth!

For everyone's information, LaDawn says that I manage to give her gas too, but in a totally different context....:D

Jackie
March 14th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Hahaha! Nice work, AGAIN, Pete!:thumb: (My condolences to LaDawn)!

Rmart74
March 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Awesome job Pete! What do you charge for something like that? Send me a PM, I would be interested in your radical ability to mold steel (I can see it solely in your rig) and anyone that performs work on his rig like that, can definitely work on mine. My hat is tipped to your expertise!

Chris
March 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
For everyone's information, LaDawn says that I manage to give her gas too, but in a totally different context....:D

That's not what she tells me Pete, more like heartburn IIRC. :D

Oh yeah, good job as always!

Stephen
March 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Nice! :thumb:

Brody
March 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Well, there have been times when she has mentioned that, plus pain in her nether regions and my name in the same sentence, but I try to ignore that when it happens...

Thanks Chris!

Thanks Stephen. Coming from a guy that has done some sweet looking fab on his rig, that is nice to hear!

Hypoid
March 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM
That came out nice! I think the parking lot bandits will take a quick glance under your heep and continue looking for easier prey.

Rob
March 14th, 2011, 07:53 PM
That has to be the coolest tank skid I think I've ever seen. Better than factory. :thumb: I think when the back end of the 40 starts to fail again in a few years, I'll have you build all new body parts and replace the old one.

Chris
March 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Now follow my sample and bash the he'll out of it to test Pete's work, I did and my gas tank skid passed with flying colors!

Brad
March 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Incredible work Pete! As always! :thumb:

RockyMtnHigh
March 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Amazing what he can do in his garage! Nice job Pete!

latva0311
March 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Nice pete! what size material did you use and do you have a round about weight? it looks solid. I don't post much just do allot of reading. I have to say, you have great fab work.

Brody
March 15th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks again!

Jordan-I used 3/16" stock for the main plate and rear brackets, 1/4" for the front brackets. It weighs in at 65-70 pounds.

4finger
March 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM
truly bomb proof
i was thinking more along the lines of armageddon proof..........or maybe apocolypse proof?!?!?!?!?! that would even hold up to the destructive hands of my 3 year old!!:D

top shelf as always Brody!!!:thumb:!!!!! its nice to see someone who can build something with form AND function!!!:smokin:

Brody
March 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks, Thomas! Strong as that may be, it may not stand up to the destructive capabilities of a 3 year old given enough time....

94ToyBear
March 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM
i seen this in person ! the rock are going to be running out of the way when they see the plate coming ! good job pete ! wernt you going to fab these up and sell them ? i think i heard you say that ?

Brody
March 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Those were Toyota gas tank skids. same 3/16" different bends, different designs. Got all the pricing and places lined up for the bends, etc., just need the dollars for a production run (biggest thing) and a shipping company to package and mail them, and set up for credit card orders....

There have been no $$ to even contemplate getting a production run of these things made yet....and i am not going to either market or sell them until I am sitting on at least 10 ready to go out the door...:frown:

foxtrot
March 15th, 2011, 06:23 PM
well, you can deff. sign me up for one, if you want, I could put an ad out on other forums to see what kind of interest you get. I love the skid you made for the first gen runners.

4finger
March 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
it may not stand up to the destructive capabilities of a 3 year old given enough time

:lmao::thumb:

94ToyBear
March 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
call me when you get some time pete. let see if i can led a hand in anyway

Pathrat
March 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Very slick and sturdy...great job.

Brody
March 16th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks Stephanie! I thought you were going to say that I gave you gas, too....

Pathrat
March 16th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks Stephanie! I thought you were going to say that I gave you gas, too....

No, more like vertigo. My head spins trying to follow the stuff you attempt to explain to me.

Hives...that did come to mind as just a fun answer. :D

Rob
March 16th, 2011, 09:47 PM
more like vertigo

Don't say vertigo in front of me. I have the dizzies again (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Not as bad as last time, but let me tell you how much fun it was lying on the ground to put the skids back on the FJC last weekend. :whatAreYouThinking:

Funrover
March 16th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Great job!