PDA

View Full Version : DC Circuits

sunk
February 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I recently made a decision to try my hand at starting a small business and needed to generate interest to see if I could accually make any money doing it. I know Ive started a thread about some side buisness before but Im attepting to get some new help from my friends here on the site!

I have 6+ years of experience installing various electronic equipment into vehicles, anything from a full build of a police car, to troubleshooting electrical issues in firetrucks. This venture would be a small business ran out of my garage, and would be the same type of work. I have several customers interested, but would love some suggestions from everyone as to where I could drop off business cards to generate new business. One company I would like to pitch my abilities to, is Downtown Radio, does anybody know someone there? These are the leads Im trying to develop.

Of course, any member of Front Range 4x4 would get special pricing and treatment! Shoot me a PM or give me a call, 3032049822 and I would be happy to any answer questions or give a price estimate.

Thanks in advance for any feedback...good or bad!!:thumb:

Brad
February 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I think it is awesome Adam. I do side work as well but in VW Audi car repair. Still working out of my garage for most things. Have another Audi tech interested in going in on a space. It takes time to get a good clientele going. I am up to 75 customers who all keep me pretty busy when I am not actually working.

I do not know anyone down at downtown radio but will ask around my dealership. What do you want from them? Just to drop some business cards?

I built my clientele off craigslist and word of mouth.

Brody
February 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Adam

Advertise on craigslist in a couple of different sections. You will be able to figure out which ones work.

Get cards out to the smaller auto shops. Most of them do not deal with much more than regular OBDI/OBDII stuff and would prefer to farm out any other electronics/install/problems. See if you can maybe set something up with them for an 'on call' thing.

Send some cards our way : Peter Brody, 6139 Reed Way, Arvada, CO 80003 and we will get them out for you.

sunk
February 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, just trying to get some cards out. I had not thought to drop off cards to small shops, that's a good idea and so is Craigslist.

Brody, I'll send some cards your way, and it would be awesome of you to hand them out if you run across anybody interested!

Funrover
February 10th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I'll take some to Napa with me. I have no troubles helping a friend!

Brad
February 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Same here Adam. Get some to me. I don't always enjoy doing electrical diagnosis. Plus am always asked if I do stereo install which I only do on my own vehicles.

Medic-5150
February 10th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I would be more than happy to forward anyone to you who needs help. I don't have the contacts that some others do, but I'll help out if I get the opportunity!

tonkatoy
February 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
drop some cards off at my shop and i will put them up

JeffX
February 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think it's a good idea. However, you should figure out a snappy name* and vivid description of what makes you different.

Do you do CBs?

DVD players? Backup cameras? You could probably make good money on these as they require a person very skilled with carpeting and trim.

* 'DC Circuits' is not a TMable name; it falls under the category of generic terminology.

sunk
February 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM
What is a TMable name? I liked the name DC Circuits, I thought it covered a lot of products, vehicle and rack equipment...the name isnt set in stone yet, but all the other ideas I had were too long, and confusing.

I can do dvds, backup cameras, stereos, alarms, but Im focusing on lights, sirens and 2 way radios. I include CBs in 2 way radios. Thats one of the reasons I was looking for a contact at Downtown Radio, too see if there is any refferal business.

One major customer demografic I am looking for would be fleet service, that would provide me a steady business revenue to get me started. RTD, AAA...any other ideas?

Brad
February 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
TradeMarkable name. :thumb:

sunk
February 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Ahhh...so, can I not register that name with the department of revenue? cause its a general term?

Brad
February 18th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I dunno. My job was just to intepret the TMable abbreviation. :thumb:

Chris
February 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Adam, don't worry about trademarks, your concern is a Colorado DBA name. Check with the Sec. of State to see if it's being used, if not register yourself using it.

JeffX
February 19th, 2011, 01:07 PM
...cause its a general term?

It's generic to the point of being meaningless. All devices on the planet contain DC circuits.

If you're getting into automotive electronics, a customer should be able to surmise what service is offered.

Something as simple as 'Dave's Custom Auto' , 'Hoffman Auto Electronics' or "Integrated Auto Technology LLC' carries a strong brand message.

Brody
February 19th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Well Adam is going to help (read install) my Split Second piggy back unit and generally go over my rig wiring. I thought I had that dialed in and within a couple of minutes of looking at my junk "Oh, the Split Second ECM isn't a problem" (looks like a horror show to me...) and " These wires need to be on the other side of the circuit beaker because the way you have them wired , half are hot" (I thought I was doing good, too...) I am more than happy to have him sort out my stuff.....and point out my errors.

I am also going to hook Adam up with Matt for all the electrical stuff on his expedition FJ62: second battery, bumper lights, roof rack lighting, CB and possible Ham stuff, wiring for the roof top tent accessories, etc, etc, not to mention sorting out the maze of wires under the driver's seat and the 4 mystery wires under the hood that I couldn't dial in. I will simply do the grunt work stuff: bumpers, sliders, fix/alter the roof rack, fix the body stuff and punch some holes.

Good to have a guy on the forum who is going to be doing this stuff as I know that most people here are as fond of car/rig electrical as I am..

That said, let's start shooting Adam our electrical junk. He could us the work and tell your friends about him, too. I am going to try to get him hooked up with Arvada Auto Tech and a couple of body shops that handle 4x4 stuff, too.

sunk
July 7th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Seems like there are alot of new members, so I just thought I would give this thead a bump!

Chris
July 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Adam, I have an issue with my VSC/ABS/Etc (Christmas Tree) on the 4Runner. I sure would rather pay you than Toyota if this is in your realm of expertise.

MelloYello
July 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
It's generic to the point of being meaningless. All devices on the planet contain DC circuits.

If you're getting into automotive electronics, a customer should be able to surmise what service is offered.

Something as simple as 'Dave's Custom Auto' , 'Hoffman Auto Electronics' or "Integrated Auto Technology LLC' carries a strong brand message.

Agree 100%. You need a better name that the normal folk who need your service can understand. If I knew what a DC Circuit was, I could probably do the job myself. IMHO. Either way, good luck, I think it is a great idea.

JeffX
July 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Wasn't somebody else having trouble with a CB?

Chris
July 23rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
A big thanks to Adam for his help yesterday, he was spot on on what he checked for my intermittent ABS problem. The only thing lacking was the right scan gauge for my truck to clear codes. I ended up going to a shop to clear the codes and all's well.

Like with Pete, Adam was less than impressed with my own wiring (I can no longer claim I can do a simple 2 wire job like a CB :redface:) He redid my wiring correctly and only shook his head saying "What did you do here Chris?" a few times in the process when he noticed my wire feeding and grounding techniques. When he asked why I ran my CB antenna wire as I did I told him I wasn't ready to cut a whole in my roof to install an NMO connector. He said "Want me to?" and now I have a nice roof-mounted antenna, nice wiring for my CB and Ham and everything tucked away neatly and passing through the firewall cleanly.

Watching him drill my roof and pull off my snap and fit plastic parts and headliner it was obvious he knows what he's doing and I highly recommend everyone to him, especially those of us who like to think we know what we're doing! :lmao:

Rob
July 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
He redid my wiring correctly and only shook his head saying "What did you do here Chris?" a few times in the process

:lmao: I'm no longer wondering why the horn in the 40 is no longer working. Might be time to have Adam look at it. :)

Chris
July 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
:lmao: Good idea Rob, you can even tell him I did the stuff you did!

EldoradoFJ60
July 23rd, 2011, 08:12 PM
Well I think I might save up all of my electrical work for one big job. I hate car electrical work.

Eventually I'll need my stereo installed. My CB coax needs to get routed. When I upgrade my headlight harness(which has 2 empty fuse locations) I'll probably run my aux lights through it. When I pick up a winch I'll need a hand. Gonna need a 12V socket that doesn't get smashed when I shift into third gear......

Brody
July 25th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Watching him drill my roof and pull off my snap and fit plastic parts and headliner it was obvious he knows what he's doing and I highly recommend everyone to him, especially those of us who like to think we know what we're doing!

X2....

Anyone needing electrical diagnosis or installs on anything electrical from the basic junk to complex stuff, you are not going to go wrong with having Adam do it .

I have a 6 disc CD from a newer Taco that I want to install into my heap. I mentioned it to Adam, especially since it has about 100 wires and plugs coming out of the back (in other words, total Greek to me) and it was "Yeah, no problem. Let me know when." Hell, I was getting a headache looking at it.....

EldoradoFJ60
July 25th, 2011, 07:27 AM
One thing I'd like to do is replace my cracked instrument bezel with some of this HDPE. I have some space for extra switches which is nice. Things like the ashtray and cubby would probably have to go.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/ilbruche/Landcruiser/July242011005.jpg

sunk
July 25th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Im happy to help out.

Rob, just let me know, should be an easy fix...unless we have to tear your column apart....

Brody, I could do that with my eyes closed. (just kidding)

Bruce, shoot me a pm. There are other switch panels that might work better than what you have, but if you want to replace a busted panel Im sure we could figure it out.

Rob
July 25th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Rob, just let me know, should be an easy fix...unless we have to tear your column apart....

That wouldn't be necessary. We hooked up an aftermarket horn and button. It worked for a while.

Chris
July 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Check the connections Rob, odds are one has come loose. Adam can attest that the one I had just pulled right out of the connector. But since you made those connections it may be a different issue. :rolleyes:

Rob
July 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Check the connections Rob, odds are one has come loose. Adam can attest that the one I had just pulled right out of the connector. But since you made those connections it may be a different issue.

I checked connections Sunday (and fuses) but I might have missed one or done it half-assedly. I didn't try too hard. When I try to do things I know little about, it usually turns out badly. :erm: