PDA

View Full Version : New to me truck!

Aaron
February 6th, 2011, 07:14 AM
It's a '95 F250 Extracab Longbed with the 7.3L Diesel.

Here's the story. You guys may remember me trading in my 07 3/4 ton gas truck this past summer in an attempt to downsize. We did that because all we used the truck for was to go camping. Between the camper and the truck payment, camping cost us a lot money before we ever left the house.

Well, we have failed to sell the camper and were trying to figure out what to do. Well, we decided to buy and old pickup (read no payment) and keep the camper.

Here she is. I'll take a couple new pics today.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/43be1e9d-acb6-661f.jpg

Brody
February 6th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Well, we decided to buy and old pickup (read no payment) and keep the camper.

Here she is. I'll take a couple new pics today.

Nice! I hope that it works out well for you!

I don't think that either LaDawn or I have ever had car payments. I know I never have....Probably have no idea what I am missing, either...

Brad
February 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Car payments suck. Love the truck! :thumb:

4finger
February 6th, 2011, 07:47 AM
good looking truck.:thumb:

RockyMtnHigh
February 6th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Nice, we need to get together now and go do something!

wakkjobb
February 6th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Good lookin' truck; love the 7.3! How many miles does it have? Auto or standard? Any mods planned or just run it stock?

>>Dan

edog
February 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Nice! I need something like that to tow my popup and can haul the family around.

Aaron
February 6th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Good lookin' truck; love the 7.3! How many miles does it have? Auto or standard? Any mods planned or just run it stock?

>>Dan

It's got 200K miles and is an automatic. The last guy took really good care of it and gave me receipts for all the stuff he has fixed. I'm planning on cleaning it up a bit, doing a bedliner, maybe a camper shell and perhaps a chip. Those chips can do amazing things for diesels.

Mporter
February 6th, 2011, 09:59 AM
nice truck my man. this gonna be your tow rig for a buggy? :D:rolleyes:

KnuckleHead
February 6th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Nice looking truck..... We need to see it up on the trail though... :D

Cr33p3r
February 7th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Aaron that is a nice looking truck and should do great for pulling the trailer, You might want to talk to Adrian about the motor and see if it is one of the ones that Ford has been replacing due to them going south. Would hate to see you have those troubles with it. Last time I was down his way he had 3 of them up on the lifts for engine rebuilds or replacements. When I asked about it he said it is a very common problem but I don't remember which engine it was.

Aaron
April 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Just an update. This thing tugged that camper to Utah and back really well. I tried to keep it a steady 65 for most of the trip. I notched it up to 70 for the latter half of coming home. No real issues with the passes. I was able to keep it at 55 going up Vail pass on the way home.

As a comparison, my 2007 Chevy 3/4 ton gas would not have been able to keep up.

Stephen
April 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Nice! Congrats. Car payments are a drag.

Brad
April 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I was stuck going 40 all the way up vail pass and eisenhower tunnel. Rover may need some work.

Brody
April 5th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I was stuck going 40 all the way up Vail pass and Eisenhower tunnel. Rover may need some work.

I would tend to think different gears rather than motor work as that engine seems pretty tight...I also do not know how much you can do to rover engines. Might want to give Keith a call at Rover Tracks down in Colorado Springs. He is probably the best person in the state to talk to regarding Rover mods of any kind that aren't basic bolt on.

Funrover
April 5th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I was stuck going 40 all the way up Vail pass and Eisenhower tunnel. Rover may need some work.

I would tend to think different gears rather than motor work as that engine seems pretty tight...I also do not know how much you can do to rover engines. Might want to give Keith a call at Rover Tracks down in Colorado Springs. He is probably the best person in the state to talk to regarding Rover mods of any kind that aren't basic bolt on.

Rover Tracks is here in the Denver area. Pikes Peak Rovers in the Springs could help a lot with mods they do via McCabe Motorsports.

Brad
April 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Interesting. I was referring to the harsh shift I have acquired since I got back from moab. I think something with the drivetrain is not right. Hitting up my LRF buddies to see if anyone has had this problem. Not entirely sure it is not related to the code 48 CEL I cannot seem to clear.

daveIT
May 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Had to put a dizzy and coil in my new truck this month. Still cheaper than a car payment on something else and it'll run another 20+ yrs...

Jackie
May 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Congrats Aaron. Nice looking truck. And, yeah - "no car payment" is a huge bennie. We typically buy new, then make double payments to get the debt down as fast as possible, then continue to drive the thing until it completely falls apart. (My 2000 Odyssey has been paid for for years - and it's only at it's half-life)! I expect another 100K miles easily before we need to let it go.

glacierpaul
May 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Nice truck, here is a pic of mine 1996, with 1985 trailer. The diesel is awesome, I have to keep mine plugged in where I live. The only problem with these 7.3 turbo diesel's are the glow plugs, glow plug relays, wire harness on both sides of the engine, now mine needs the injectors cleaned because it has lost alot of power and will not start without being plugged in, even on warm days. This motor is the best Ford has(it is an International motor), IMO, just has been expensive to own. I have also replaced the automatic locking hubs, transmission to an ATS, turbo unit, and the glow plug stuff 3 times. I have owned mine since 1998 w/ 22,000miles (used) now have 250,000 on it. Even if I put a new motor in it (roughly $4,000) it is worth it, because it's paid off. Did Lake Como no problem last year too, without trailer:lmao: of course.

Aaron
June 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Well, with starting problems when it's 75 degrees outside, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and take it to a professional. She's at the Diesel shop now.

They told me that the starting problems were with: gunk caused by a broken (and dangling) exhaust back pressure guage, thermostat, and low oil. I'm guessing it's the first one more than anything. I didn't check the oil after my last trip to NM but I did every time before.

They also said that, unrelated to the starting issue, the PWM (which is a pump inside the transmission) isn't doing it's job and is causing the vehicle to not idle in gear very well when you first start it up. Looks like I'm going to get a tranny rebuild too. While in there they said there was a lot of upgrades they could do to that particular transmission to make it perform better and last longer...

glacierpaul
June 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I may need to go see who you are using, as I am having starting issues which are not the relays or glowplugs, but if it is plugged in, it will start.
I am on my 4th tranny, I had 1 tranny replacement under warranty and then another one after warranty, thru the stealership. Then, when it went out for the 3rd time, I took it to AC Transmission where they told me that the OEM tranny was a POS, no duh 3rd failure, they put in an ATS tranny and I have had no problems since, about 50,000 on the ATS, and my truck is at 225,000 miles now. I say definately do the tranny upgrade, and please let me know who you are using for the motor.

Aaron
June 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I took it to these guys.

http://www.transmissionanddiesel.com/

glacierpaul
June 10th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks, Aaron!! Keep us posted as to the work done.

Aaron
September 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Well, now that we have the property up in the hills. There isn't much need for me to keep the truck :-/ I can rent a u-haul to get it somewhere if the trailer ever needs fixing...

I think I might put her up for sale... Anyone interested at 5K? KBB puts it at 6500 and I know it needs some glow plugs so I'll sacrifice.

Roostercruiser
September 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I just saw a Ford like yours flat towing another Ford dually with a pull behind 30 ft camper. It didn't have any trouble pulling it at 55 MPH :thumb::