PDA

View Full Version : Well f___!

Mporter
February 1st, 2011, 11:09 PM
So today after work I get in my car. And I try to playfully climb a little snow mound in the parking lot. I put it in 4L, everything seems good. Attempt 1, didnt get nowhere. Attempt 2, nothing either.

So I back up and decide to call it quits. I put it in neutral to shift back to 4H, but it doesn't seem to wanna go. I put it in park and hear "shgjhghghhghghg" and think "oh sh*t" I then try to see if I can still move......no dice.

Can't get it in gear, can't move at all. So long story short, Landcruiser is parked in the lot of a Bed Bath and Beyond behind held back by nothing more than the parking break (which I expect to freeze sometime over the night).

Awesome right? I guess it's time for a H55f :cool:

Haku
February 1st, 2011, 11:54 PM
So today after work I get in my car. And I try to playfully climb a little snow mound in the parking lot. I put it in 4L, everything seems good. Attempt 1, didnt get nowhere. Attempt 2, nothing either.

So I back up and decide to call it quits. I put it in neutral to shift back to 4H, but it doesn't seem to wanna go. I put it in park and hear "shgjhghghhghghg" and think "oh sh*t" I then try to see if I can still move......no dice.

Can't get it in gear, can't move at all. So long story short, Landcruiser is parked in the lot of a Bed Bath and Beyond behind held back by nothing more than the parking break (which I expect to freeze sometime over the night).

Awesome right? I guess it's time for a H55f :cool:

I would at least wait till it warms up a bit first before writing it off completely. When stuff gets this cold, weird stuff happens.

Mporter
February 2nd, 2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah that's what I hope might save it.

Brody
February 2nd, 2011, 05:09 AM
What Josh said...

Brad
February 2nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
Lesson learned. I am super nice to my rig when it is cold. I have had so much break over the years on the coldest days it taught me to be cautious.

RockyMtnHigh
February 2nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
So now that it's a balmy -6 degrees outside, is there any change?

Chris
February 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Since we're having some MN temps right now it's time to use some appropriate warming techniques. I suggest my neighbors favorite - remove the legs from your grill, throw on some charcoal, light it and slide it under the truck for a few hours and hope it's not in flames when you come back.

Fordguy77
February 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Sorry to hear about this Matt! Automatics can have some serious suck in the cold!

Since we're having some MN temps right now it's time to use some appropriate warming techniques. I suggest my neighbors favorite - remove the legs from your grill, throw on some charcoal, light it and slide it under the truck for a few hours and hope it's not in flames when you come back.

Im missing the outlets in parking lots on days like this.

4finger
February 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
"shgjhghghhghghg"

that noise tells me its your 2nd gear (:lmao::lmao: oh come on that was a funny joke.:lmao::lmao:)

Brody
February 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM

Common technique for a lot of ice climbers around the Valdez Alaska area....

scout man
February 2nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
shgjhghghhghghg

the funny thing is, I think we all knew exactly what noise he was refering too when he typed this. There is something wrong with all of us that could identify that noise.

Fordguy77
February 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
I like it better when you hear the noise,(not that its a good thing, but at least you have a clue) its no fun to get the silent death of a transmission pump.(which has accounted for most my automatic failures)

Volcom
February 2nd, 2011, 02:17 PM

Might not be a good idea
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17272515

Mporter
February 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
I haven't been to the truck at all today since I'm in class....but hopefully after my test tonight i'll go there and get AAA to tow it back to campus so I can see what the issue is without having to walk 1.5 miles every time I wanna check it out.

Mporter
February 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
You guys were right. Just happend to be too cold to get the transfer case in gear. All is good. The H55f is for a later time!

Fordguy77
February 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Great to hear! Let er warm up a bit next time! Gearoil is thick in the cold.

Mporter
February 2nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah. Lesson learned.

Brad
February 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Might not be a good idea
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17272515

Holy crap! Talk about coincidence. :eek:

scout man
February 2nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
i imagine that was one ice-encased truck after being hosed down with a fire hose at -30 degrees!!

Pathrat
February 2nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Well Chris did say to hope it is not in flames when you come back...the trucker must have omitted that step.

Brody
February 3rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
I think the whole thing kinda hinges on letting the charcoal get to the point of where it is glowing and not actually on fire...and having it set far enough below the engine where it doesn't get the engine so hot it catches on fire. Oh well.....

Chris
February 3rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Maybe next time he'll listen! ;)

glacierpaul
November 25th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Just looking thru old threads and found this. My diesel Ford truck would not start on Rainbow Rd a couple years ago, had a -15 temp with a wind chill of -35. Ran a plug from the one house, 350ft of extension cords from house to block heater, no good, took out my Mushroom style propane job heater and stripped it down to burner only, set it under the truck while I was there and waited. 42 minutes later the truck started, no fire thank goodness, but I was carefull, and had my extinguisher ready.