PDA

View Full Version : Where To Go Muddin??!!!

ccbruin
January 27th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Are there any places to go muddin in Colorado???

Brody
January 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Well....that is a pretty good question and more depends on time of year than anything else. MSV/Coney have a fair amount of mud early season, Kelly Flats has a single mud hole as does Johnny Park, parts of Yankee Hill have some small muddy spots, Ellis Jeep Trail has a single muddy section and one separate mud hole, but that is also early in the season (Sept/Oct last year it was pretty much dry), and there is a muddy section on Caribou Creek. But to answer your question, CORE (Colorado Off Road Extreme) offers probably the single biggest mud pit close to town. RAM Off Road Park may also offer one down in the Springs area, but I am not sure.

I am sure that there are a lot of other trails that offer sections of mud, but they are really only sections of the trail, nothing really deep or long, and most of them probably dry up pretty quickly. Maybe someone else can chime in with other suggestions.

Rob
January 27th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Kelly Flats has a single mud hole as does Johnny Park

You can scratch the mud hole at Johnny Park. It was bulldozed when they graded half the trail for timber cutting. Maybe it will reappear someday.

Fordguy77
January 27th, 2011, 11:33 PM
You can do a search on traildamage to sorts the trails from Least to Most Muddy.
http://www.traildamage.com/search.php?s=mud

cfr
January 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
For trails with mud, see the "mud loop" on trail damage. For muddin' (southern style) try CORE as mentioned before.

upnover
January 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Just an FYI, Mudding is not look at being a fun/good thing here in CO????? It has to do with all the tree huggers and how they can spin it into, WE are destroying the forest!

I personally do not like mudding because of all the mud you take home. lol Good luck and don't get stuck!

Brody
January 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
WE are destroying the forest!

Personally I think that the Forest Service manages to "destroy" more of the forest, roads, and recreation areas than we as 4 wheelers are even capable of....all at the tax payer's expense, of course...Just look at what they have done to a lot of the local trails in the last couple of years. China Wall ended up looking like some clowns ran a bulldozer 101 course on it and to hell with all the unsightly downed trees by the side of the trail...classic...

4finger
January 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM
If your willing to travel to Grand Junction we have alot of good spots out at the base of the bookcliffs. but only after the rains. it dries up pretty quick out there.

edog
January 28th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Isn't there usually a good mudhole up on Kingston Peak?

Brody
January 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Isn't there usually a good mudhole up on Kingston Peak?

I think that is the one I was thinking about when I mentioned the Yankee Hill area..., but as you are gathering I'm sure, almost all of Colorado "mudding" is a hole here and there and no real sections of mud that amount to more than a hole, really.

When I lived in Michigan, there was a section of trail called "Darkies Marsh" that was really cool. All you could see in parts were the high points on the trail with just two tracks, disappearing back down into black water with the tops of some weeds sticking up. Almost the whole trail was like this, with hidden logs buried under the water and mud. A lot of times we would get a group together and do this trail run at night as it was so spooky. We would attached tow ropes to all the rigs and send the first person across, hoping that they wouldn't get stuck before they hit the next rise. It made for some interesting times.

Robert B
January 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM
unsightly downed trees by the side of the trail...classic...
the only good hting i have to say for that is when i went camping along that road/area it made for easy firewood

JeffX
January 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
MOST mudholes are illegal. There's a couple of legal ones on Mt. Baldy Rd. at Frosty park. They get muddy during spring rains.

Mudding tends to screw up your suspension, axles, hubs and other stuff. Not to popular for folks who care about their rigs.

Brody
January 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Mudding tends to screw up your suspension, axles, hubs and other stuff. Not to popular for folks who care about their rigs.

How true. I usually go through mud holes if I have already got a lot of mud on me from the trail being sloppy. I don't like it too much at all as it does what you say, plus is a royal ***** to clean up, plus no matter how well you clean it up or how you clean it up, you always get a wad of mud in your eye the next time you are wrenching on it.

I did a fair amount of mudding in both Washington state and in Michigan when I was there for the simple reason that just about every trail you could wheel on was basically a mud trap.