PDA

View Full Version : build a 89 jeep wrangler vicariously though me

94ToyBear
January 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
:wrench::wrench::wrench:
Build a 89 wrangler vicariously Though may dad and I !
Right now I’m building my toy and really don’t have time to figure out
How to build this jeep. So ill pass it on to you. Any opinions, options, parts, tips, hints, parts for sale, web suites links
Will be much appreciated.

ok My dad picked up this 89 wrangler for a whapping 1300 bucks ! what a DEAL right !
it has a 4.0 and 5 speed conversion from a 99 Cherokee from the stock 2.5, 4 cylinder.
The conversion was done real really well. The jeep its self has over 200,000 miles on it and the motor has around 120,000
I’m guessing it has 4.11 gears but not sure.

The plan : build a mild crawler something that’s on road and off. 33’s for now and maybe room for more tire in the future.
A lift 3-6 inch?? (all leaf springs) shackles, transfer case drop kit, necessary steering components, brake lines, stabilizer,
Drive shafts, Dana 44 or bigger axles, Gears, shocks, tiers. ummmmm what did I miss ????

It will be interesting to see what we all can come up with!
Maybe if there is more then one option floating around we can have a vote on the best option.
Lets Get it on !
i can do all the work needed so well save some money there.
:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench:

Mporter
January 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Let us know what your price budget is for certain aspects. Like how much you want to spend on suspension/armor/etc

That way you can get people to zone craigslist/other forums for ya.

AccordRanger
January 23rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
If I remember right you can do a SOA for a lift, I think that might gain anywhere from 4-6" of lift.

upnover
January 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Yes, do SOA with some D44's locked and 35's. You can do 95% or the trails in CO and UT.

Fordguy77
January 24th, 2011, 12:03 AM
They beat me too it! x3 on the SOA. You already have the most important mod and that was they 4.0L and 5speed. Just googling a Spring Over Kit for a TJ came up with a lot of listing, and its looks like you can get everything you need for around 1,000-1,200 and thats addressing the steering issues and slip yoke and CV driveshfts and so on. I'll have to dig it out, but i have a folder somewhere on the TJ's that i made when we were going to get my sister one, its not complete but still has a lot of info

Fordguy77
January 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM
http://www.rocky-road.com/yjspoa.html

94ToyBear
January 24th, 2011, 01:51 AM
nice ! i can tell this is gona be fun allready ! !! thanks ! SOA gots 3 votes allready ! this with stock spings or after market, or longer spings ?
dana 44 is a great idea ! and is the best place to start ! and you know what they say our only as stong as your weakest link !! gears ? what kinda lockers ?
33' or 35' on it ((i bet my dad wants 35's))..
armor can wait due to me being able to do all that work on my own for very very cheap
keep it coming guys thanks !

94ToyBear
January 24th, 2011, 01:57 AM
price range is up in the air. were not rich by any means but well do what we have to to make this rig right the first time but more important safe.

94ToyBear
January 24th, 2011, 04:26 PM
great site ! it looks like it would cost over 1600 $ bucks to go out with it.
what are your opinions about this ? have you seen this kit perform ?

Fordguy77
January 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I've personally never seen the kit perform. It was sent to me through a friend of a friend when i was gathering info on potentially building one. I've read mostly good things about That kit, but personally have no experience with it.
I'd just google around and look for reviews and kits until you find one that meets your needs.
Heres a basic kit that will require several add ons
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_yj_5.html
Heres another one
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/SuspensionSystems/Product.aspx?part=RE5015

Most the low priced kits will not come with the components you need to correct steering issues caused by the relocation of the leaf springs. A high steer conversion kit can be purchased will address your steering issues. I'd say to use stock springs, they seem to flex well, and that is what most kits advertise you do. Stock springs on a SOA will clear 35"s.

Fordguy77
January 24th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Write ups on SOA TJ's
http://www.dehesa4x4.com/osburn/tech/soa.htm
http://www.jeeptech.com/convaxle/fordeb/soa.html
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/SOA/yjomesoa.htm
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465623
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/soa-conversion-write-up-401008/
http://www.jeepsonly.com/How_Tos/Suspension/
http://www.quadratecforum.com/showthread.php?t=105485

94ToyBear
February 3rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
Christopher thanks for all your help ! the link came handy !! were going to look in to buying in the next few weeks. ! thank you guys any word on dana 44s ?

Brody
February 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
What kind of word on Dana 44s do you want? That is pretty vague...

They are a good axle and a pretty straight forward swap for the Jeep, especially the rear from a Rodeo. Lots of people use them in Jeeps and they were front and rear in earlier model Jeeps...Don't know what else you are asking. I posted a Rodeo swap link in the Jeep Make and Model section, BTW. The Ford 8.8 are also a common swap for the rear.

94ToyBear
February 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
dose anyone know of any for sale that i can get my hands on.

Patrolman
February 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
I have an 8.8 LSD axle with 3.73 gears to sell. It is a 2000 so it has disc brakes and is minimal work to put into a Jeep. Complete including the factory u-bolts and plates, calipers/rotors/pads, e-brake cables, and still has the axle tags attached. Good swap to have stronger axle, limited slip, and better brakes, all in one package. Common mod for a YJ. See link:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

PM me if interested in talking about a deal.

scout man
February 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
there are always scout dana 44s for sale on CL for a good price. A lot of jeep guys like to swap these in since they are cheap, and a touch wider that the jeep axles.

94ToyBear
June 11th, 2011, 05:25 PM
back on track gona start building my jeep up with a SOA. anyone know where i can get a good kit from ?

thanks for any help you can give.

94ToyBear
June 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM
p.s. im just gona use the stock dana (i think) 35's. its gona be more of an on road and light trail rig nothing more.

Chris
June 11th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Not trying to be a jerk but why go SOA for a mild wheeler?

94ToyBear
June 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM
i want to drive somthing lifted, its cheep, i can get it done fast, i have 33's ready to go, only have dana 35's on it.
and aslo going to be using stock spings. easy to do, wont be sitting around for months to be done, will be fun, need somthing to go wheeling with soon before i go crazy, can do it at work in a day or two, chicks will like it, i will like it, trails will like it, 4x4 parts places will like it, will be done before the toy p/U will ........................ list goes on.

Chris
June 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Good reasons, especially getting it done before you go crazy! :D

Fordguy77
June 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I've posted a few places to get them earlier on in the thread, and if you do a yj soa kit search on google all sorts of kits come up. You should check to see if ruffstuff has one.

94ToyBear
June 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
talked to the guy at HC4x4 yesterday anouty a SOA swap.................he did not like the idea and kinda talked me it to going with a 4 inch spring lift. what do you guys think ?

Price is the same as the soa kit and less work and less head ache......

foxtrot
June 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
SOA will give you more clearance underneath your axle

94ToyBear
June 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
SOA will give you more clearance underneath your axle

but what if im going for a mild build somthing for more on road then off road.
i have my toy pick up with a sos that should be done by the end of the year that will be used for the tougher trails

DETN8R
June 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I stopped by and helped Adam do some of the finishing touches to lift yesterday.
Basically I brought a pitman arm puller and pulled off his old pitman arm then did the drop on his transfercase.

94ToyBear
June 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I stopped by and helped Adam do some of the finishing touches to lift yesterday.
Basically I brought a pitman arm puller and pulled off his old pitman arm then did the drop on his transfercase.
THANKS FRED !

94ToyBear
October 3rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
been awhile that iv added anything to this build thread, iv been doing thing here n there for the past 2 years. the last year was a good jeep year, I did a 8.8 LSD 4.10 gear that ill post pics some time. this summer I picked up dirt biking and needed a tow rig, so that lead to a rear bumper/ hitch build. pics below

94ToyBear
October 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM
this bumper/hitch only cost me about 2 bucks to build ! it not that pretty and I wouldn't want to be the one to rear end me.

94ToyBear
October 3rd, 2013, 07:44 PM
more pics ! chop, grind, measure, cut, re-measure, pound grind weld weld weld weld

94ToyBear
October 3rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
aaand more

94ToyBear
October 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
wouldn't you know it ! with in a week of putting the bumper on someone wanted to test it out ! explorer VS YJ lol some girl ran in to my girl friend on the way to work lucky everyone was ok no injuries. but I got a pretty check for the damage. now I have a fun tow rig to take to the bikes up to the hills !

Patrolman
October 3rd, 2013, 08:47 PM
Nice work on the hitch! Too bad someone hit the Jeep. At least it is still driveable and doing its job!

94ToyBear
October 3rd, 2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks ! Yeah...my right rear tire took most of the hit... I think the explorer rolled up over it and hit the body and nicked the bumper.

94ToyBear
February 6th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Cant take it anymore !!! Gonab rip in to heater box an hour before work... im so dam cold with the crappy warm air thats kind of pushing out the vents !!! Plan on doing the blazer fan swap and possible heater core.......anyone know if yj 4cylinder and 6 cylinder heater core are different sizes ??? ((My yj is originally at 4 banger)) and wouldnt dought is the core still is. Burrrrrrrrrrrr

94ToyBear
February 6th, 2014, 10:00 AM
while I am at up grading the fan and possibly heater core I went a head and ordered the 95 yj dual diaphragm brake booster and master cyl with reservoir. now I can be warm and stop !

94ToyBear
February 6th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Got it instilled !!! Dam this thing blows hot !! Now I can be excited for gona the gym at 6 am !

Ordered booster and master cyl aswell. Hopfully I canbget them on and working in a week or two

Hypoid
February 6th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Is the heater core different?

The StRanger
February 6th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Heat is a good thing when its this cold !!

94ToyBear
February 7th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Had car quest look up part numbers for a 4 and 6 cyl they are the Same ! Less cha ching to spend worked out great

94ToyBear
February 7th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Heat is defiantly good. If I find time today im gona replace the thermostat too.