PDA

View Full Version : Dave Nay's Swing down Land Cruiser Tire Carrier

Brody
December 29th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Dave wanted me to build him a swing down style tire carrier for his Land Cruiser. Sent me a couple of pictures with a "sorta like this, but.." It was a bit entertaining as I usually have the rig that I am working on on hand when I do the work. Since neither of us knew exactly where the tire was going to reside, I made the actual carrier bracket adjustable for 6-8" of up and down travel. He came over this AM and I did the final stuff to get it mounted up. Works fine (even without paint) and he just emailed me a "Thanks and no rattles" email.

Anyway here are some pictures from the floor template to the final mount on the rig. Thanks for the work Dave, and always good to see ya! Have a great time skiing!

Chris
December 29th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Looks pretty cool Pete, any pics of it down?

Brody
December 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
You would have to ask that...Maybe Dave will post up a few shots after he gets it painted and is back from skiing. He needed to get going, so when we got the spare in place the last time he took off. We have it down briefly just to check clearances, but I didn't take any pictures as I was in project mode. Matt (not the one on the forum, but the guys whose FJ62 I have been working on, thank to you!) was due to come by for a quick weld fix and Dave needed to get back to Castle Rock and his family loaded up and out the door.

Brad
December 29th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Nice work Pete!! :thumb:

Fatboris
December 29th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Very nice!

Rob
December 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I like that. Nice work.

Mporter
December 29th, 2010, 11:34 PM
So correct me if im wrong. It drops down like a tailgate? Very cool if so.

Cr33p3r
December 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Nice job Pete, so how do you unbolt the tire and rebolt it when it is in the down position especailly on big tires like Dave is running? Does it sit at a slight angle to where you have access to the bolts?

Brody
December 30th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Thanks!

Drops down like a tailgate pretty much the way that I did my own.

The tire is simply unbolted/bolted when it is in the upright position. I suppose that you could access the bolts when it was in the down position, but it really isn't practical. If Dave wanted the tire mounted towards the rig, which was an option, then when it was flipped down, you would have easy access to the bolts. Dave wanted the carrier tight to the rig, so that was how it was done.

RockyMtnHigh
December 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Nice! :thumb:

Smash
December 30th, 2010, 08:13 AM
That looks really slick!

4finger
December 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM
^^^ X2

is it a rubber bushing setup in the hinge?
are those slide in type pins or screw in?

Hypoid
December 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Nice!

I had a crazy thought: Fold it down, support it with a jack stand, put a board across the top side and have a picnic. :)

Brody
December 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM
is it a rubber bushing setup in the hinge?

Yes, I had some new leaf spring bushings with a metal sleeve for a 1/2" bolt, so I trimmed them down a little (poly inserts and metal sleeve) and used them

are those slide in type pins or screw in?

The pins that I used are 1/2" trailer pins with a clevis keeper. I had to cut these down some too, bevel the ends, and drill new holes for the clevis pins....basic fab goodness....

southpaws3
January 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
nice

The Clam
January 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Nice!

Now seeing that, I recognize his land cruiser he was on chinamans the same day as us about a year ago. He almost took his roof rack off on one of the obstacles, and I think they had a bernise mt. Dog puppy.

Funny what memories pop up...

Edit: yeah... Cruiser!

Chris
January 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, that sounds like Dave in his Land Cruiser...;)

Brody
January 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
That was Dave. He mentioned that incident when the saw the FJ62 roof rack I am doing for Matt in the garage. I told him the story behind that one and he mentioned Chinaman's.

scout man
January 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
I was there that day too!! He caught his rack on that stairstep obstacle or whatever they call it... unless he has done it more than once!

KnuckleHead
January 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Looks good Pete as always.....

edog
January 3rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Really nice I love it! I would love to replicate something like that on mine.

Brody
January 3rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Easy enough to do. The basic set up is pretty straight forward, and the actual mounting brackets can be made to mount to a square receiver bar, or to a plate bumper, either on top or on the face. PM me when you want one and we can talk.

Hefty
January 7th, 2011, 10:05 PM
So I can't tell from the pics but can the tail gate still drop?

transplant87
January 7th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I think it lifts up from what i recall last time i saw it.

Hefty
January 7th, 2011, 11:28 PM
hey are a 2 piece hatch. The top goes up and then it has a tail gate section too.

Mporter
January 7th, 2011, 11:48 PM
So I can't tell from the pics but can the tail gate still drop?

I think so. The tire carrier goes down (like a tailgate) and then the tailgate can drop down.

Brody
January 8th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Yes, the gate can still drop, though not all the way. This wasn't a huge concern of Dave's, so we didn't spend a big bunch of time on it, but it can always be tweaked a little if he doesn't like it. Not a bid deal.

wyota
January 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
As always, Nice work Pete!