PDA

View Full Version : Dual Batteries ?

Cr33p3r
December 18th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Ok so this past summer I got my dual batteries setup done and now that the rig is sitting for a while I am curious about them going dead from the cold temps. So here is what I am wondering will they go dead at the following rates as a single battery, same, slower, or faster? This is of course if I do not start it periodically or hook up a charger.

Brody
December 18th, 2010, 08:25 AM
They will simply drain off the charge, whether they are single, double or triple. Those aren't deep cycle, so aren't really designed to sit for long periods of time without some sort of charge going into them every now and then. Should sit for awhile without problems, but if they are draining off after a few days, then you have some sort of short.

=WINKY=
December 18th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Sean, i have dual batteries in my truck and with the new pair (matching) ive had no problems of letting them sit for lengthy periods of time. in fact last time i drove the truck was 3 months ago and i know it will start in the cold now. :)

Hypoid
December 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Anything with a memory, like a radio, will slowly drain the batteries.

A charged battery with no electrical drain should keep for months.

Cr33p3r
December 18th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Well it should not be a problem since I will be driving it today because it is the only vehicle with gas in it and someone got my bank and/or debit card info and cleaned out my checking account this morning:bang:. Who the hell needs $173.29 worth of fricking makeup? That is what they bought. And of course after looking the company up online and calling their 1800# they are only open M-F. My guess is was most likely one of the flunkies that works at Papa Johns Pizza since that was the only place we bought anything that was over the phone and everything else was done thru my paypal which I have not had any troubles with.

=WINKY=
December 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
misread that, thought it was the wife buying stuff.

that sux man!

Hypoid
December 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Fooking ouch!

Mporter
December 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Dang man....can you ever just catch a break? Good luck.

fredrok
December 18th, 2010, 06:55 PM
If you spend a few bucks on a proper battery tender, they'll pay for themselves easily. I've got this one http://batterytender.com/automotive/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html that maintains 2 marine deep cycles for the boat in the off season (most of the year!). And http://batterytender.com/automotive/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html for the Jeep when not wheelin. Plug in and forget em.

Both boat batteries are 9 years old :eek:, the Jeep batt is 8 years old and all test great so far with a carbon pile load tester I have.

Brody
December 18th, 2010, 08:32 PM
a carbon pile load tester I have.

That sounds like something my doc checked for on my last physical...and it didn't feel good...

What is that really, BTW?

fredrok
December 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Is there anything that feels good at a physical? Don't answer that....

You know measuring 12+ volts at the battery doesn't mean that it's still good. So you have to apply a load to it (like simulating start) to see whether it holds a sufficient charge to withstand that load and the ability to recharge. A cheap hand held load tester is like a static compression test in that it's a snapshot of the battery's health. But much like what a leakdown test for cylinders will do, a carbon pile tester tells you without a doubt the condition of a battery. It can be dialed to the battery's specific CCA and tested there over a longer period of time and even with temperature corrections.

I hate getting stuck anywhere. Can you tell?

Brody
December 19th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Thanks! Care to do a write up thread in the Tech about this, how to do it and what to use? If you do, stick it in the actual Tech Links section. No big deal if you don't, but a nice addition if you do.

fredrok
December 19th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I'll work on that Pete. Good idea.

I have writeups about other subjects on other forums that maybe I'll copy over to this one. Not to be the "know it all" by any means, but I'll get more mileage out of them and if it helps anyone else, great.

Cr33p3r
December 19th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info Fred!

Randy you NUT!

fredrok
December 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
You're welcome Sean. I just posted an article in the tech links regarding dual batteries as well. http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?11652-Dual-Battery-School&p=126227#post126227

Brody
December 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Fred!

Look around before you post a "new" topic as there may well be one that is about whatever you are going to post and you are more than welcome to add to the existing thread as long as it contains good info. Also, if it is Jeep specific, please add it into the Jeep section in the make and models or simply post it in both sections.

fredrok
December 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Okay. I didn't see any topics on it already but I only read the subject lines. I also thought it pretty universal so didn't want to "hide" it in the makes/model but it would matter not to me if you wanted to move it elsewhere. Wherever you think's best.