PDA

View Full Version : DONT buy these wheel locks

Robert B
November 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM
ok got some wheel locks for the blazer just like the rest of the trucks .....tried White Knight brand and they suck they do not hold up at all ...torqued 1 to the 90 lbs and it mushroomed the inside and the outside of the key....they are useless i have used the same locks on the nissan since 98 and they are still perfect.... the nuts themselves semed tohold up ok but the key is waaaaay too soft of a metal.....they also have "accessories" in the brand name so they might have other items you might be wary of buying if it is the same quality and metal......oh and these would be scarier with the newer 1/2 inch studs that take 120 lbs torque

if my camera would focus that small id get a pic but my phone got a good pic of the damage to the key

Jimmy
November 12th, 2010, 05:43 AM
One rule I picked up along the way about wheel locks: They should be the last lug nut on and the first one off.

Another rule I follow: Don't use wheel locks. :) Either you lose the key or they disintegrate (as Robert described). It's unfortunate that folks find they must use them.

A decent quality 12-point deep well socket hammered onto a lock lug nut usually will remove it.

Andrew
November 12th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I helped a dude get a tire off of his Jeep. EVERY single lug nut was a lock nut. I got every single one of them off with my impact and an impact socket. Carefully going backwards/forwards and only the last one gave trouble and I had to use a screwdriver and hammer to get it out of the socket and it was toast after that but I got the wheel of without the lock - they didn't have the lock and they had a flat.

gm4x4lover
November 12th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Wheel locks suck no matter what. They will leave you screwed at the worst possible time. For me it is the first thing i remove off any car i buy. No real crook is going to take the time to jack up the vehicle and pull each lug off. It is much faster to steal the whole car. Plus the only wheels that have any value are the factory ones and that is what most people take off.

Brody
November 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I am with Nick on that. All you have to do is to have one time somewhere where the key doesn't work or you managed to lose it (or better yet, leave the wheel lock key in the glove compartment of another car) and have to cold chisel the lock off. I haven't have wheel locks for quite some time due to this.

Robert B
November 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM
my dad had to take the airchisel to three of them ( got one before jey was toast) just tell him next time dont buy the cheapest ones -.-.. i hae just never had it fail so completely so im thinking its the brand.......

gm4x4lover
November 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
we remove three to four sets a week and it ranges from $44 all the way up to $500. The biggest failure we see with wheel lock keys is they dont get put back in the vehicle or someone cleans the vehicle and tosses them.