PDA

View Full Version : Pathrats Front Bumper thread for FJForum guests

Pathrat
October 30th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I tried to do a write up on the FjForums but was deleted for being an unauthorized vendor. I am not the vendor, I am the recipient of a Brody-built bumper. Here is what I did write up, along with pictures. :)

The weight of the bumper is around 65-70 pounds, easily lifted by one hand. It may actually be a bit less, but that is what it feels like.

The bumper is very light, but strong and stout, and is mounted separately from the winch plate. The winch plate is mounted separately to the frame horns from the bumper. The bumper then is mounted to them, making the bumper and winch modular items. This will both allow the winch to be mounted with the bumper off, then secured for anti theft when the bumper is reinstalled. You can also leave the winch and plate attached as a unit and remove it all in one piece. When the winch is installed, you would have to remove the whole bumper to remove the winch, making that a nice anti-theft feature. I used the Mile Marker universal winch plate, which Sean and I have used on quite a few bumpers.

The holes are designed around the larger Lite force style lights. If the lights that you have won't work well, I can relocate the light holes to the wing sides without too much problem. The lights should also be able to mount on either the top or bottom of the bumper.

The lower solid plate and grate for radiator protection and air flow are additional custom pieces. The model shown on Pathrat's rig is a welded plate bolted on to the rail abutting her All-Phase skid plate. The design and cost of the lower plates/grates will be dependent upon each rig's skid plate type, whether it be OEM or aftermarket.

For anyone who is interested in getting one of these for their FJC, Sean and I are making and selling them for $700, with painting being extra. We will also custom make bumpers, either tube or plate, or a combination of both, for any rig.

Give us a call: Peter Brody 303-507-3066
peterbrody4@gmail.com

Sean Brownson 303-519-3538

Pathrat
October 30th, 2010, 09:55 PM
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/118109-pathrats-new-steel-front-bumper.html#post1766539

Chris
October 30th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Now you're giving The admin ideas! :eek:

That forum was created with the intent to make money. :rolleyes:

Pathrat
October 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM
And that is why my thread was deleted over there. It is a huge forum, I understand that they need revenue to keep it going, but I am not a vendor. Hopefully this revised thread with the link to FrontRange will keep them happy and keep my post up on the FJForums so people can see the cool new bumper I have, as well as who can make them one in Denver.

Rob
October 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Throw the moneychangers out of the temple!

Pathrat
October 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM
DrOldUnit will now demonstrate how to walk on water.
(:D:D)

Pathrat
October 30th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Ok, now the link to Front Range is gone in the FJForum thread. Their admin was polite about it but a salesman for Pete and Sean I am not. Sorry guys, no plug for your work. If anyone emails me over there for more info, I am sending them here.

Rob
October 30th, 2010, 11:04 PM
DrOldUnit will now demonstrate how to walk on water.
:lmao:

Can't do it, but I did walk on some frozen water today (except for the one time it turned out to be not so frozen:erm:).

Pathrat
October 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Water is water whether it is a solid, liquid or gas, right? You can so walk on water, you just chose the wrong consistency of water today!

Jimmy
October 31st, 2010, 05:48 PM
I'm not into the politics, etc. of the FJCruiserforum, but from reading what you posted there, it really does read like a sales ad (looks like the text from the CL ad). I'd take a totally different approach and write up a "My new custom front bumper thread" and explain it from your point of view. For example, the text above was written from the builder's POV ("If the lights that you have won't work well, I can relocate the light holes to the wing sides without too much problem.") - I'd switch it up and say "The bumper was build to fit Lightforce lights, but any light could have been accommodated. There's plenty of room there to fit a light from small to large."

Let your glowing admiration for the bumper come out, and wait for the PMs from adoring fans to roll in and pass Brody's information along. Over time, the word will get out.

I'd say Brody and Sean ought to get a website put together. Then one could simply link to it in their signature block, vehicle description page (if the board has one), etc. There are many ways to skin a cat. :D

Robert B
October 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Water is water whether it is a solid, liquid or gas, right? You can so walk on water, you just chose the wrong consistency of water today!
ooh i like that ... i think im going to use it next time i walk on some ice lol :)

Pathrat
October 31st, 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for your input Jimmy, that was very well thought out. I have some difficulty, clearly, posting up the details people would want. I pared it down quite a bit and I may go back with your suggestions.

Hypoid
October 31st, 2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your input Jimmy, that was very well thought out. I have some difficulty, clearly, posting up the details people would want. I pared it down quite a bit and I may go back with your suggestions.

I agree, but you've had two strikes already. I'd Put a picture of that curvaceous bumper in my avatar and/or signature and let people ask.

Maybe a little more show and tell about Pete's tie-in?

Pathrat
October 31st, 2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/118109-pathrats-new-steel-front-bumper.html

Changed my pictures, didn't try adding new text yet. There have been a few replies for me to respond to as an opportunity to add more info..

Brody
November 1st, 2010, 08:15 AM
I read the posts on this thread and wanted to add a couple of things:

-The bumper wings are reinforced on the inside with 3/4" tubing.

I don't know what kinda bumpers the people who replied have been dealing with or their knowledge base, or if they have ever winched anything in their life, but here is my reply to the concerns about the bumper integrity with regard to winching and the stock frame mounts that are designed to bend when hit:

-The bumper and winch plate are mounted as separate units. The stock frame mounting points were replaced with 1/4" plate and 3/16" 2x2, further reinforced by angle iron. Both the bumper and the winch plates mount to these reinforced new mounting plates/mounts. The winch plate is mounted with 6 grade 8 bolts and any winching force that is applied is going to go DIRECTLY to the winch plate and won't involve the bumper in any way. The bumper itself IS NOT the winch mount.

-I built the bumper and winch plate separately for two reasons: the bumper is light weight as a unit and there is absolutely no need to integrate the winch plate and the bumper in this case. The other reason is that when a winch is mounted, it is going to very easy to remove the bumper and simply add a winch to the separately mounted winch plate. Not to mention the fact that if there is ever any damage to the actual bumper, taking it off for any repairs or straightening is also going to be easy to do.

Having dealt with bumper styles like the ARB where the winch has to be mounted to the bumper BEFORE you can install the bumper/winch as a combo unit, and having mounted many of these by myself, I have absolutely hated that particular style of bumper, no matter the looks. As it is now, Stephanie can now mount the winch herself (if she gets a little help getting the winch set on the mount) as she is a pretty talented individual...

Geez, people responded like I never built a bumper before. I built my first bumper in 1982 and can hardly remember how many I have built since then on both my own rigs and other peoples.....Oh yeah....and it is kinda a cross between the DeMello and the All Pro as these companies happen to be a couple of the only companies out there that figure in the fact that people actually need something of an approach angle and don't necessarily want to plow snow with a 200 pound bumper.....

Hypoid
November 2nd, 2010, 04:48 AM
Good response Stephanie! :)

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/1767135-post10.html

Brody
November 4th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Isn't it funny how the uninformed BS seems to stop when someone answers a question succinctly?

Hope fully there won't be too many more questions like " Did you have the bumper made from steel?" Or "Was the steel made in the USA or China?" ad nauseam......I build bumpers like they are going to go on my heap....So do 99% of the other people who fabricate stuff...

Pathrat
November 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks Pete....What you wrote took care of it.