PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Run to Shelter Nov 20th at 9AM

Patrolman
October 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM
This is our 3rd annual Turkey Run! Saturday November 20th at 9:00AM to meet at the gas station at Pepsi Center!

There isn't a need to bring a turkey if you don't have the means. The shelter feeds THOUSANDS of homeless for the holiday and will need ALL sorts of food. A great time to clean your pantry shelves and donate to a great cause! They also take clothes, shoes, sleeping bags, blankets, hygiene items, etc. Everything except electronics and furniture if I remember right.

I will be posting turkey deals at the local grocery stores leading up to the run.

For those interested, we can do something afterward, yet to be determined.

Thanks!

Aaron
November 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
Great cause bump. I know we'll get more as the time gets closer but lets keep this on the front page...

Chris
November 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
I'll miss this for the first time since I'll be out of the state. :frown:

Smash
November 3rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Should have the Forester back up and running by then. If not, we'll be there on the bike! Heck, we might just show up on the bike for kicks. We can still fit plenty of food anyways. We both need to go through our clothes and I'll ask our neighbors to do the same to see if we can scrape up some good used stuff.

Looking forward to seeing some folks!

Edit, for clarification, is this the address of the meeting place? It was the closest gas station I could find to the pepsi center, a conoco. 1500 7th Street, Denver, CO.

Patrolman
November 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
That should be the correct address. It is on Auraria Pkwy between I-25 and Speer.

Jackie
November 3rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'll be out of state so, no-can-do. But can I get one of you to accept a check or paypal from me and bring some goodies on my behalf? I could easily send a check to the mission, but it might be more fun for the club to show up with "more stuff"! OR if one of you lives in Westminster, I could deliver a turkey or whatever to your house on the 18th before I leave town and you could pack it in your truck for me? Let me know. ~ Jackie

Smash
November 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Jackie - I can come up and pick up whatever you have. I don't live far from you, just down in Wheat Ridge.

Jackie
November 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
That would be great, Ash! I'll be sure to buy a turkey (and what-not) and hook up with you before the run!

Smash
November 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Sounds great. I can often come pick things up midday during the week. Just send me a PM when you're ready!

Haku
November 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Not gonna be able to make it this year. I'm working all day on the 20th, but I would be willing to toss in a turkey, some food or just a donation. Might have some clothes too if they are looking for it.

Smash
November 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Josh, you probably aren't far from me either. Happy to drop by to pick stuff up. Let me know when you're ready!

I'm just happy as snot to be able to do something FR4x4, even if it isn't a trail.

Aaron
November 8th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I'm trying to see if I can get the Jeep and the trailer filled this year. I'm not getting a lot of love so far but I ain't giving up yet!

KnuckleHead
November 11th, 2010, 08:51 PM
This the same meeting place as last year??

Aaron
November 12th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I don't know where it was last year but...

Saturday November 20th at 9:00AM to meet at the gas station at Pepsi Center!
:D:thumb:

KnuckleHead
November 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
It was at a gas station by the Pepsi Center, so I'm sure it's the same. :D I'll be there :thumb:

Patrolman
November 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
The gas station is in between 2 of the Pepsi Center parking lots. Hard to miss. I think it is 1 of the 2 entrances to Pepsi Center off of Auraria Pkwy.

Patrolman
November 13th, 2010, 08:40 AM
There was a clip on the news last night about the turkey drive. Apparently they have only received a few hundred turkeys and they said they normally have a need for 6,000 birds. They have a LONG way to go! Lets get out and support them! ;)

Patrolman
November 13th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Here is the latest breakdown on Turkey prices through this Tuesday 11/16. I have only listed the cheapest deal at each store, obviously there are other "brands" too.

Albertsons: Will match the price of any of these prices (even Walmart) OR you can do their deal where you get a free 15lb turkey with a $100 purchase.

Safeway: With a $10 purchase, these prices apply
$4.99 for 8-12lbs
$5.99 for 12-16lbs
$6.99 for 16-20lbs
$7.99 for 20+ lbs.

SmartCo (for those who have one around):
35 cents per pound, for 12-22 pounds. That is $7.00 for a 20 pound bird. edit: Must spend another $25 with purchase.

Kings: Jennie-O $6.00 for up to 16lbs.
$8.00 for 16-20lbs

Brad
November 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I should have some donations but will not be able to make the run. Ash you are just north of my work. Can we meet up Friday night?

Roostercruiser
November 15th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Anything helps , i can take stuff off peoples hands on thursday. Just not turkty i havr no big freezer. I live jn lakewood at 6 th and simms

RockyMtnHigh
November 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I probably won't be able to make this, working Friday night, but if possible Aaron can I drop a bird by your house for you to take for me?

Aaron
November 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I probably won't be able to make this, working Friday night, but if possible Aaron can I drop a bird by your house for you to take for me?

Absolutely Jock!

Pathrat
November 15th, 2010, 08:48 PM
The community has responded. 3000 turkeys have been delivered to the shelter.

Jacking your thread Jeff: I will used this opportunity to mention to people I will be asking for help for the teen-only homeless shelter next month.

Roostercruiser
November 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Ill help out Pathrat with that one also, let us know when

Aaron
November 16th, 2010, 06:46 AM
The community has responded. 3000 turkeys have been delivered to the shelter.

So the rescue mission doesn't need more? I assume they do but just making sure.

Pathrat
November 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
So the rescue mission doesn't need more? I assume they do but just making sure.

Oh yeah, they do need 3000 more the last I heard. The article said they needed 6000, put out the call, and got 3000 turkeys donated.

Thanks Roland!

Pathrat
November 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16639941?source=rss

Aaron
November 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I was double checking that they still needed the birds we are bringing... They DO!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 (DENVER) – Since last Wednesday, November 10th, the Denver Rescue Mission (DRM) has received 7,625 frozen turkeys from individuals, businesses, corporations, and organizations from all over Colorado to help meet the need for Thanksgiving. The community is still continuing to collect and deliver turkeys to the Mission’s Lawrence Street Shelter, 1130 Park Avenue West in downtown Denver. The community’s donations are already making a difference and they are encouraged to continuing donating!

Patrolman
November 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, they won't turn away turkeys. IF for some strange reason they don't all get used at Thanksgiving, there will be turkey for Christmas or some other nearby holiday. They feed an incredible number of people, so food is never turned away. We have 7 in our chest freezer, so they better be taking them! ;)

In regards to Pathrat's mention of the teen-only shelter, yes, it needs to be on the agenda. Another great cause that Pathrat did a great job working with last year!

Aaron
November 18th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Can we get 10 folks for the Turkey Run? Come on all! Lets show em that FR Cares! We have almost 160 members. Getting 10 people shouldn't be that hard!!!

Smash
November 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting guys, got knocked on my arse by a nasty stomach flu. Coming out of it now. I am still able to come pick up turkeys/donations from anyone up in this area of town that will not be able to go Saturday.

Please send me an email at coloradosmash at gmail dot com and let me know!

Otherwise, looking forward to see folks Saturday!

Patrolman
November 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I have a few more birds to be dropped at my house tomorrow evening by a good buddy (not FR4x4, but he does trail rides with me sometimes). I think that brings us up to 9 turkeys stuffed in our freezer. 180 pounds of yummi-ness! We still need to show some more support though!

Sale update:

Safeway a $10 purchase gets you these prices: 8-12lbs is $4.99
12-16lbs is $5.99
16-20lbs is $6.99
20-24lbs is $7.99

Kings has no minimum purchase: 0-16lbs is $6.00
16-20lbs is $8.00

Albertons will match any advertised price. Their in-store deal is 37 cents a pound ($7.40 for a 20lb bird) with a $10 purchase.

Of course if you haven't heard, SmartCo is going out of business. Deals can be had, but be careful as it is all part of a liquidation company now and they control the prices (jack them up just to put on a discount).

And lastly of the ones that came in our mailbox, Sunflower market has "free-range" turkeys for $1.47 a pound. That is $30-ish for a 20lb turkey if you want to eat the good stuff.

Roostercruiser
November 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I m bringin clothes, blankets, -30 sleepin bag, and canned goods.aready in my truck ready to go.

Pathrat
November 18th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Yes, and I read that some turkeys will also go to other food banks so even if the rescue mission has more than enough those in need will be fed.

Thanks for the plug Patrolman! You seem to be able to find the deals. If you (or anyone) sees a sale ad for jackets and hoodies, under $10 a piece like we found last year, please let me know.

Smash
November 19th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Jeff thanks for the deals! I will hop by King Soopers this afternoon to grab a turkey or two. We have some clothes and I need to go through our sleeping bags (thanks for mentioning that Roland!).

No one's contacted me about picking stuff up, so I'm assuming it's all been taken care of.

See you folks tomorrow!

Aaron
November 19th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Soopers has enough Turkeys! With the donations from you guys and others I asked, we should have about 60 birds as well as lots of canned goods and clothes.

I'll be picking up the birds I don't already have this afternoon. Way to go FR.

KnuckleHead
November 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm going to have to pull out this year. Come to find out that the company I work for has not been paid in a while, therefore we can not get paid..... :mad:

Rob
November 19th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Where exactly is the "gas station at the Pepsi Center"? I'm not familiar with the area.

Smash
November 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Edit, for clarification, is this the address of the meeting place? It was the closest gas station I could find to the pepsi center, a conoco. 1500 7th Street, Denver, CO.

That should be the correct address. It is on Auraria Pkwy between I-25 and Speer.

:thumb:

Really looking forward to seeing you, I'm sure Karla is too!

Rob
November 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Ash! Are you saying I should have read all the posts? :D

Smash
November 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Naw, just the first four. :lmao:

Roostercruiser
November 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I got a couple of buddies at work whos gonna meet us down there at the gas station. They have stuff to donate.

Patrolman
November 19th, 2010, 05:56 PM
We too have several bags of more food, clothes, shoes, blankets, books, hygiene items, etc. All those toothbrushes the dentist gives me will finally go to good use. ;) Also have other "samples" such as soaps, etc. I believe they will basically take any household items except appliances/electronics. Hope to see everyone in the morning! 9AM bright and early!

Smash
November 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM
We are off to king soopers to pick up 2 turkeys and probably some other food, then we will see you guys at the gas station! got some clothes and jackets to donate too.

CR
November 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Can't make it today but sent some birds with Old Unit. Have fun guys!